• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Atlas Sky Kings and Radians are in (1 Viewer)

David Swain

For my first post on BF (after reading everything for 8 months), I’ll simply note that the remaining Atlas binos are in at EO:

I’ll leave it to the regulars to dissect the details, but of note is that the Sky Kings feature dialectric coatings.

David Swain

I have one of the Sky Kings and one of the Radians, both in 8x42 currently in my possession. I am going to post more as I get a chance to handle them. Both offer some very interesting specifications/features for their respective price points....$199 and $129.

Also, though this should have its own thread I just noticed that Eagle Optics has started its own set of forums which can be found here:

http://www.worldofbinoculars.com/

I registered and responded to a few posts. I will also post my comments about the Radians and Sky Kings there as well.

You might be waiting for awhile on that one. Would you downplay either of your own models? I would probably stress the strongpoints of each.

Here is a pic comparing both of the Atlas Optics models previously mentioned with the new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD and the Leupold Cascade porro.

Here are some initial impressions of each of the two models.

SkyKing 8x42:

This binocular has two immediately noticeable optical strongpoints. One, the image is exceptionally flat with little to no field curvature in the image. Two, though there is some chromatic aberration in the outer 25% of the image the center 75% is noticeably free from it. I would then guess that "HD" glass does help reduce color fringing. Whether or not HD means "ED/FL" or if it is just a more unique combination of standard glass to help reduce color fringing I cannot say. Maybe EO will chime in on that one.

Those two unique characteristics make the image very attractive.

The two issues I was not as enthused about it are the color bias and the initial impression of not being quite as sharp in the center of the field as the Radian (yes, you read that correctly). The image is certainly as sharp as any of the previous $300 roofs I have owned (Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Legend, Pentax WP) but it isn't quite at the level of some of the current $300 roofs and some of the $150-$250 porros. Consider though that it is a $200 roof.

Brightness and contrast seem good but not stellar. I was a little surprised considering the mention of the use of dielectric prism coatings. This should not be considered a "negative" though as the image is certainly pleasing in both of these regards.

Overall fit and finish seems good. The grip design next to the central hinge reminds me of some Minox models I have owned. The eyecups seem to be a deadringer for the Promaster Elite EDs though they blend more into the body of the binocular. A diopter lock, tethered objective covers and multi-stage eyecup adjustment system are also nice touches.

The completed rotation of the focus wheel is 1.75 turns. Closefocusing is approximately 6 feet. The focus rotates counterclockwise.

Radian 8x42

This binocular is about a half inch shorter than the Sky King with more subsequent flared contouring to the objective. The armoring in color and texture reminds me very much of the Swaro SLC Neu. Even the objective color reflection reminds of it.

Strongpoints for this binocular are its compactness and its apparent centerfield sharpness. I have not run into another roof at this price point or even slightly higher that displays quite as sharp of an image in the center of the field. The image also appears slightly brighter than average as well.

On the other side of the coin this binocular also has a slight color bias (yet to be determined exactly what type of bias it is) and has more edge distortion(though not an objectionable amount) in comparison to the Sky King. I wonder if this is some type of tradeoff between centerfield sharpness and edge performance considering the physical differences in the two designs.

Colors are vibrant and illumination appears even across the entire field of both binoculars.

Early Conclusion

Both of these binoculars are a step forward optically for their respective price points. The unique optical performance of each binocular easily betters any other roof prism binocular I have utilized at these price points(with a few exceptions). I would not have any problem using either binocular extensively for a variety of applications.

More to follow.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 405
I have one of the Sky Kings and one of the Radians, both in 8x42 currently in my possession. I am going to post more as I get a chance to handle them. Both offer some very interesting specifications/features for their respective price points....$199 and $129.

All I have to go by is pictures and specs, but the Sky Kings (where's Penny?) look like Zen ZRS but apparently with dialectric coatings. Specs look identical.

marty

I would say they are very similar physically and optically as well. There does not appear to be as much of a warm color bias in the Sky Kings though. I don't have a ZRS on hand to do a direct comparison but I know someone closeby that does. I will try to do a comparison tomorrow or Thursday.

All I have to go by is pictures and specs, but the Sky Kings (where's Penny?) look like Zen ZRS but apparently with dialectric coatings. Specs look identical.

Hmm, seems like the Sky Kings are like my suggested $200 ZRS spec bump although I would have liked to see an improvement on the construction/aesthetics.

Frank,,Thanks for the Evaluation...I do have some questions..
..What about materials?..The SKy King is specified to be made of Mg alloy,but in the EO web site there is no mention of the type of materials that they use in the Radians...I recently tested an inexpensive roof,phase coated,and although a fast evaluation made me believe the binocular was worth the price,a further look into the materials proved that not only the body was made of plastic,BUT THE CENTRAL HINGE too!!!! This put the whole thing in perspective,and made the binocular feel like a toy..A bit of use also proved that collimation was NOT ACCEPTABLE,and the level of Fatigue its use brought to my brain was easily detectable...When You say that You wont have any problem using the binoculars extensively to any application ..Have you actually used them Extensively ,or only seems like..?,,because This problem could also be present,and it would show actually AFTER You used them extensively.
What I meant by this is ,Where is the line of the TOO inexpensive(cheap)when talking about optics?..Phase coated,FMC,Gas Purged...LOTS of features for the $...BUT ,,DO THEY REALLY WORK?...(once again,Is the Hinge made of metal,Can you glass for two hours..etc)

Your evaluation is always appreciated.

Manuel

Last edited:
Manuel,

You are perceptive as always. To answer some of your questions, no, I have not yet used them extensively. I plan on glassing with them tomorrow for hawks. That is usually the test that separates the proverbial men from the boys. I do not expect either model to really excel in this application but I think they would be a good choice for someone that casually birds or as a backup for someone with bins costing two to three times what these sell for.

In my opinion the Sky Kings are going to be the better performer because of the flat image and the comfortable sweet spot. The Radians have a noticeably narrower sweet spot and therefore are going to be harder to get truly comfortable with

As for the materials utilized, both appear to use some type of metail. Whether that metal is aluminum or magnesium I cannot say. They are both light enough without losing that "solidly built" feeling which I cannot always say about some of the other inexpensive roofs I have owned.

Manuel,
In my opinion the Sky Kings are going to be the better performer because of the flat image and the comfortable sweet spot. The Radians have a noticeably narrower sweet spot and therefore are going to be harder to get truly comfortable with

As for the materials utilized, both appear to use some type of metail. Whether that metal is aluminum or magnesium I cannot say. They are both light enough without losing that "solidly built" feeling which I cannot always say about some of the other inexpensive roofs I have owned.

I probably shouldn't have... Rather, I'm sure that I shouldn't have gone to Eagle Optics.com and bought an 8x42 Atlas Sky King. It looks just like a Zen Ray ED, that I already have, and I can't give any reason for buying it.
Are Atlas Sky Kings 'Chinese' binoculars? If they are I'm going to have 3 of them now.
I ordered it yesterday and I don't know yet when I'll be getting it.

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't have... Rather, I'm sure that I shouldn't have gone to Eagle Optics.com and bought an 8x42 Atlas Sky King. It looks just like a Zen Ray ED, that I already have, and I can't give any reason for buying it.
Are Atlas Sky Kings 'Chinese' binoculars? If they are I'm going to have 3 of them now.
I ordered it yesterday and I don't know yet when I'll be getting it.

Do you mean you bought an Atlas Intrepid? They are the virtual twin with the ZEN ED. From the pictures and Franks posts the Sky King looks more like a ZRS HD with dielectric coating on the prism.

I don't know for sure, but I'd about bet that all the Atlas are Chinese manufacture.

Do you mean you bought an Atlas Intrepid? They are the virtual twin with the ZEN ED. From the pictures and Franks posts the Sky King looks more like a ZRS HD with dielectric coating on the prism.

I don't know for sure, but I'd about bet that all the Atlas are Chinese manufacture.

Thank you. Yes, that what's I meant. And now I'm going to have 3 open hinge Chinese binoculars, Promaster, ZEN ED and now Atlas Intrepid.

I just registered to become a member of worldofbinoculars.com. I'll have two places now
where I can and read about peoples personal thoughts about their binoculars.

Thank you. Yes, that what's I meant. And now I'm going to have 3 open hinge Chinese binoculars, Promaster, ZEN ED and now Atlas Intrepid.

Heck, you might as well buy the Hawke Frontier ED too. Then you would have the full collection.

;)

Hmm, I wonder whatever happened to that one Orion model Henry posted about? It was a dead ringer for the others but was selling for under $300 IIRC!

Anywho....you are going to like those Intrepid's Marcus. The image quality is pretty much a dead ringer for the original Zen EDs with a different focusing feel and rubber armor. One can never have too many effectively-designed ED binoculars.

;)

As for world of binoculars dot com, it has potential if more folks post on it and it isn't just questions from consumers reposted on the forum (as opticsplanet often does).

As for world of binoculars dot com, it has potential if more folks post on it and it isn't just questions from consumers reposted on the forum (as opticsplanet often does).

That is so, so true, that more people should be making more posts at worldofbinoculars.com. I was just there looking for something new. The only new post was Eagle Optics thanking me for buying an Intrepid and for me to send in my opinion of them after I get to go out and use them. To be honest I probably will say that they were very good, but similiar to ones that I already have.
I was hoping that world of binoculars dot com would be a full of different people from all around who have something in common, their opinions of binoculars and what they do or have done with their binoculars. Nope, it certainly is not that. At least not yet.

Well...If you guys have one too many open bridge ED glasses in the 8x43,I would be interested in trading for a,like NEW,Swift #820ED 8.5X44..........PM if interested.

Well, I've had these for awhile, so I'll post some impressions.

Atlas Sky King 8x42:

For less than $200, this represents the least expensive dielectric mirrored binocular I am aware of. It has a 7* fov, which is not particularly wide, but it is certainly wider than the 6-6.5* fov found in a lot of its price contemporary roof prism binoculars.

This bears serious resemblance to the Zen Ray ZRS. It is the same size and feel and looks to have the same chassis. I don't have my ZRS on hand, so I have to forgo further comparison, except from memory.

It, as Frank pointed out, does have a pretty decently flat fov and the edge distortion is pretty well controlled. It seems to me that I remember a much stronger red bias in the ZRS. This seems to be more of a yellow (slight) bias.

Atlas Radian:

Until I looked through this, I never figured I'd actually meet a less than $150 roof binocular I'd even come close to recommending. This one changes that. It has a little different shape, and hence feel that a typical roof binocular. It is about an inch shorter than the Sky King, and retains the same 7* fov. It is more like a "chubby compact" than a regular 42mm glass.

It displays a bit more edge distortion than the Sky King, but it is pretty well controlled for an inexpensive binocular. It has a bit more CA than the SK, but will not be bad unless the viewer is normally sensitive to CA. Again, as Frank indicated, the center field sharpness is WAY better than you would anticipate. For it's price it is a bird worthy inexpensive choice.

If one moves resolution tests out to Jupiter, the Sky King will seperate itself from the Radian. The SK shows the moons with better detail and sharpness than the Radian. The resolution edge of the SK is also evident at distance in terrestrial viewing too. But for typical birding distances with 8x, the Radian does really well.

These two binoculars are a testament to the improving quality we see today at ever decreasing costs. If you need a binocular and need to save some $$$, these are more than worth a look. I offer a tip of the hat to Eagle Optics.

Edit: I much prefer either one of these to the Nikon Monarch 8x42 I have. Primarily due to a better apparent dof, and a wider fov, with better edges in both of the EO glasses.

Last edited:
Some great points Steve. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on both of these models. I agree with you. Both are easily recommended...especially considering their price points.

Re: the Sky King

This bears serious resemblance to the Zen Ray ZRS. It is the same size and feel and looks to have the same chassis. I don't have my ZRS on hand, so I have to forgo further comparison, except from memory.

Wondering if either Steve or Frank can make any more specific comparisons with the ZRS now. I'm also curious about the IPD on the Radians--would they work with (much) younger faces?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back