• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (3 Viewers)

There have been a group of 10 - 15 Redwings on the trees on Abbey Place,since Sunday,that are becoming more tame by the day.The first I have seen there,In 21 years of living nearbye.

There have been a group of 10 - 15 Redwings on the trees on Abbey Place,since Sunday,that are becoming more tame by the day.The first I have seen there,In 21 years of living nearbye.

That's around where I've been seeing them lately, although that's an excellent count. There seem to have been quite a few Redwings and Fieldfares in the city over the past month or so, which is quite unusual. I often see groups of them when I'm walking to work.

Like everywhere else in Britain, we've been battered by strong winds over the weekend here in Torry. Yesterday was pretty gloomy but I managed to get out before the rain set in. A male Red-breasted Merganser was in the harbour. Most of the commoner seabirds are now regularly about, with Fulmars particularly numerous over the weekend. Yesterday I saw my first Kittiwakes of the year.

The weather was brighter today and the highlight was a splendidly robust third calendar year Glaucous Gull. I first saw it on the harbourside by the Caledonian Oils depot. Then it was seen at much closer range along the shore below the allotments. Later in the day it was back by Caledonian Oils.

Attachments

• Glaucous Gull_Girdle Ness_160220b.jpg
    Glaucous Gull_Girdle Ness_160220b.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Glaucous Gull_Girdle Ness_160220a.jpg
    Glaucous Gull_Girdle Ness_160220a.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 37
I saw the Glaucous Gull again on Monday, in the same area towards the end of the day. I've not seen it since, although it may still be around.

On Thursday a look around the Nigg Bay area produced three Water Rails, one of which was seen, and a (possibly record?) 12 Moorhen. Also a pair of Teal there.

I didn't see too many birds in the wind today, but there were lots of Bottlenose Dolphins leaping about and I had brief but good views of a fairly large Otter in Greyhope Bay. It was interesting to see one there, as they don't normally seem to go outside of the harbour.

After a day of heavy rain, it was a beautiful morning here in Torry with the lightest winds we've had for a few weeks. Lots of birds were singing around Nigg Bay, including Reed Buntings, Chaffinches and Skylarks. Three Water Rails were calling and there were nine Teal and four Snipe. There were at least a couple of Bullfinches and five Goldcrests. The pair of Stock Doves were again in their usual spot on Tullos Hill above the railway bridge.

Here's a Rook from today and a couple of Redshank from the weekend.

Attachments

• Rook_Torry_250220a.jpg
    Rook_Torry_250220a.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Redshank_Girdle Ness_220220a.jpg
    Redshank_Girdle Ness_220220a.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 14
It's been fairly quiet recently. This morning was pleasantly calm and there were one or two things of interest about in the Nigg Bay area. Most notable were a pair of Lapwing on the roof of the waterworks (prospecting?). The pair of Stock Doves were again on Tullos Hill. There were the usual Water Rails calling and also a pair of Bullfinches. A remarkably showy Fox was wandering around the bowling green on Victoria Road.

Attachments

• Lapwing_Girdle Ness_040320a.jpg
    Lapwing_Girdle Ness_040320a.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Fox_Torry_040320a.jpg
    Fox_Torry_040320a.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 28
Lovely photo of the Fox,Andrew.
I seen Foxes regularly around October/November on Abbey Place/Balnagask Road but have not seen one this year.

It was pretty quiet today in Torry, in grey, windy conditions. There was quite a bit of Bottlenose Dolphin activity around the harbour mouth and numerous Razorbills and Guillemots were sheltering around Greyhope Bay. A female Pheasant was in the allotments.

Things became more interesting on the way back home when I bumped into a Siberian Chiffchaff along the east end of Abbey Road. It soon flew up onto the wires before disappearing off over the houses. I guess it's probably the one that was around a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_070320a.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Torry_070320a.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 26
I had a fairly thorough look around Nigg Bay today. A Raven flew over, heading west. The pair of Stock Doves on Tullos Hill had been transformed into a saucy threesome. There were also four Teal, three Snipe, two Goldcrests and a pair of Bullfinches. A pair of Lapwing were again about, flying up over the hill.

Attachments

• Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_080320a.jpg
    Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_080320a.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_080320b.jpg
    Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_080320b.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_080320c.jpg
    Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_080320c.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 10
It's been fairly quiet here this week. Today was a bit livelier with a good selection of birds around Nigg Bay. This included nine Teal, two Snipe, a Lapwing, two Goldcrests and some Long-tailed Tits collecting nest material. Of most note was my first (non-Siberian) Chiffchaff of the year along the railway embankment. It's probably hard to tell if it's a previous unseen wintering bird, migrant or returning breeder.

In the afternoon 221 Purple Sandpipers were roosting on Skate's Nose.

Here are some youthful Herring Gulls from yesterday.

Attachments

• Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_140320a.jpg
    Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_140320a.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 19
  • Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_140320b.jpg
    Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_140320b.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 20
A late afternoon stroll along the north side of the Ness proved worthwhile when I found a second calendar-year Iceland Gull. I initially picked it up flying between the Coo and Greyhope Bay. It then came down on the breakwater before flying around the Bay a bit more. Quite a pale individual.

Attachments

• Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_170320a.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_170320a.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_170320b.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Girdle Ness_170320b.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 37
A pleasant day here in Torry. In the morning I watched a Peregrine displaying over the city. An afternoon stroll around Nigg Bay produced the usual suspects: eight Teal, two Snipe, a pair of Bullfinches, the now regular pair of Lapwings. Things didn't go so well for a local frog (see photos).

Attachments

• Grey Heron_Torry_190320a.jpg
    Grey Heron_Torry_190320a.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Moorhen_Torry_190320a.jpg
    Moorhen_Torry_190320a.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 34
Super pics,Andrew. :t:

Thanks BN!

It was a lovely day here in Torry, albeit with a chilly wind. Spring is slowly creeping in. There are a few more Meadow Pipits around and offshore there are lots of commoner seabirds, particularly auks and Kittiwakes. A Common Scoter went north. A Peregrine soared over Tullos Hill. There seemed to be lots of Rock Pipits about too, including the one in these pictures.

Attachments

• Rock Pipit_Girdle Ness_200320a.jpg
    Rock Pipit_Girdle Ness_200320a.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Rock Pipit_Girdle Ness_200320b.jpg
    Rock Pipit_Girdle Ness_200320b.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back