• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpie or Coopers Vt. USA +grizzly prey id (1 Viewer)

steveo

King Midas in reverse
United States
The first two are the same bird and were taken on a different day from the second two pics. The bird in the second two pics is eating what I believe to be a white breasted nuthatch (fifth pic)? Recent shots all last week 7/7/07.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Ilsbeth's shower 007.jpg
    Ilsbeth's shower 007.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 140
Also any idea on the prey KC? Coopers on both hawks first wo shots were taken on a different day from the second two.

I would go Mourning Dove on the prey too. Foot looks thicker and less grasping than your typical passerine.

I would agree with Coopers for the second bird, based on large looking head. The first bird is younger (lighter iris) and has a smaller looking head. The legs look pretty sturdy in the second shot, and there appears to be a pale nape. It's hard to judge just how curved the tail is in that flight shot, but I would lean again towards Coopers.

Mourning dove looks good for the food.
Scott

Its funny on the 3rd and 4th shot, the bird looks really angry that you are taking a photo of it. :storm: I would agree that the bird is a cooper’s hawk. The tail seems to have a more rounded shape to it. The lack of a of black on its head leads me to believe this is a younger bird. I’m no expert though. :smoke:

Last edited:
Its funny on the 3rd and 4th shot, the bird looks really angry that you are taking a photo of it. :storm: I would agree that bird is a cooper’s hawk. The tail seems to have a more rounded shape to it. The lack of a of black on its head leads me to believe this is a younger bird. I’m no expert though. :smoke:

There are two birds here. The first two are different than the third and fourth.

Scott

The prey item couldn't have been a Nuthatch (but I'll bet it tasted like chicken!) - these toes look to be anisodactylous and nuthatches have zygodactylous toes. Also, the long, black feathers look inconsistent with Nuthatch feathers.

As for the bird of prey, the first two pics seems to show me a Sharp-shinned Hawk based on the thin and rather indistinct terminal band and extremely thin legs.

The second two pictures scared me away from the computer - they look like Terminator!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back