• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

Corn Stubble

I was looking at Corn Stubble and it's attractiveness to certain birds, having observed a local field I have noted.
The removal of the corn at harvest time opens up the ground to sunlight which then activates the seeds in the seed bank, these immediately grow i.e chickweed which leaves provide food for Skylark and Linnet. Other plants grow like Shepard's purse and Field Pansy, they flower and attract insects which again would be good for the birds mentioned and also Meadow Pipit. The flowers seed and then provide more food.
When the farmer ploughs all this is gone, the ploughed field for a short time attracts Corvids and Gulls which eat the insect life and larval stages disturbed by the ploughing.
Also corn stubble provide excellent cover the field mentioned no birds were visible but 28 Skylark, 20 Linnet and 3 Meadow Ppit got up when I walked through.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Hi John, good to see you today.
According to Tame Valley Birding blog the White-Rumped Sandpiper flew into Warwickshire airspace, is that a first for the county?
Regards
Steve

Thanks Phil, that's exciting news. I was there from about 10 until 11:45 watching it , I understand it was later in the day that it flushed and flew over Fishers Mill.
All the best
Steve Atkinson

Yes. Along with Steve Richards and Pete Hackett. I can confirm the White rumped Sandpiper flew south from the north pit over Fishers Mill and the hump before returning to the island with cormorants on it. Late afternoon.

Hughie.

21/11/12 Hartshill Hayes CP 2 Woodcock over after dark, many years ago a former breeder but no longer ( since a Country Park there are dogs everywhere.)
Hartshill Moorwood 70 Fieldfare heading NE

Regards, John

Shustoke 27/11/12

Male Smew morning which flew towards Coton/ KWP Bob Duckhouse. An easily missed roosting female Common Scoter (Paul Hyde).
2 Great Northern Diver ( Matthew Mulvey, John Harris).

Regards, John

Draycote Roost

The forecast for Saturday looks like it will be bright conditions so I am contemplating having a go at the Draycote Roost.

I presume that once it gets dark, the Country Park closes so is it wise to park elsewhere to prevent being locked in or can you still get out?

Thanks a lot

The forecast for Saturday looks like it will be bright conditions so I am contemplating having a go at the Draycote Roost.

I presume that once it gets dark, the Country Park closes so is it wise to park elsewhere to prevent being locked in or can you still get out?

Thanks a lot

I think when the gate is closed it opens if approached from the inside.

gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back