• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

Thanks girls. Those wee fantails were a real delight. And yes, Lisa - Hans and Judy did take care of me very well.

Next came a couple of Bar-shouldered Doves, and I'm thinking they're probably a pair, with the closest one having much paler plumage?

Another pair, straight after, were the very pretty Red-browed Finches, looks like they missed with the lipstick, doesn't it LOL.

An Eastern Yellow Robin seems to be still rather damp after his bath! Hans now pinched some of my remaining clementine to feed the birds.... so for repayment, the Green Catbird posed for a picture.

Then finally, the Lace Monitor came in; I was beginning to think that he wasn't going to grace us with his presence this day.

Attachments

• BF Bar-shouldered Dove thread.jpg
    BF Bar-shouldered Dove thread.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Red-browed Finch thread.jpg
    BF Red-browed Finch thread.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Eastern Yellow Robin thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Yellow Robin thread.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Green Catbird thread.jpg
    BF Green Catbird thread.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Lace Monitor thread.jpg
    BF Lace Monitor thread.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 56
Those red-browed Finches are fat little fellows. And I love the variation you got on the greens of the Green Catbird.

LOL Hans.... I've never really known the difference, except I think clementines are smaller than mandarins, so I usually just say the first one that comes into my head (and try not to say nectarines by mistake!!!)

You blew me away with the Green Catbird, eating 'clemandarites'.....how's that for a new word Delia/Hans LOL
Love all of your photos and narratives Delia, sure brightens the day, thanks for sharing!

You blew me away with the Green Catbird, eating 'clemandarites'.....how's that for a new word Delia/Hans LOL
Love all of your photos and narratives Delia, sure brightens the day, thanks for sharing!

:-O

Love it Nora.... 'cept I'm having trouble getting my tongue round the pronunciation. Will go away and practise LOL

We had a wee while before we needed to be back home, so Hans took me back to Blackbutt in the hopes we might see the Parrot.

Looking around, I couldn't resist taking a picture of this glorious Jacaranda tree - they seemed to be growing everywhere and were in full bloom while I was in Queensland.... so pretty.

A blob spotted on a wire got our pulses racing and we got closer.... a pretty Dollarbird.

Then at last the male Red-rumped Parrot sat on another section of the telegraph wire, but I couldn't get the best angle for light from where I was.... but I got a record shot so that'll do for me!

I'll finish that day with what seems to be Nora's favourite from the forest the Green Catbird and the bird that was the driving factor for my trip to Australia in the first place, and Hans' promise that I would see them in his garden and I sure did!!!

Then it was packing and an early night for a quick getaway the next day.

Not to show favouritsm, if anyone has any special requests to see an extra picture of a species from my Queensland section, I'll add them to the last post before moving on.;)

Attachments

• BF Jacaranda thread.jpg
    BF Jacaranda thread.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Dollarbird thread.jpg
    BF Dollarbird thread.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Red-rumped Parrot thread.jpg
    BF Red-rumped Parrot thread.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 30
  • BF Green Catbird Nora thread.jpg
    BF Green Catbird Nora thread.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Superb Fairywren male 1 thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren male 1 thread.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Bribie Island

24 October 2019

An early start today to get to Brisbane for a lunch time flight. But I still managed a picture of a very handsome Black-faced Cuckooshrike before we left.

Hans and Judy wanted to explore Bribie Island as it was some time since they'd last been there.... and, of course, I was quite happy about that, as it meant I could see those cracking Beach Stone-Curlews again.

In the nearby lagoon was an Australian Ibis - I thought their tails were black, but I see they're actually barred black and white.

A bit further along that lagoon (it's only a narrow strip between the path and beach), was also a Great Egret.

Beyond the lagoon, where there's access to the beach, I wandered down and found a Striated Heron.

So a pretty good start I thought.

Attachments

• BF Black-faced Cuckooshrike thread.jpg
    BF Black-faced Cuckooshrike thread.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Beach Stone-Curlew thread.jpg
    BF Beach Stone-Curlew thread.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 54
  • BF Great Egret thread.jpg
    BF Great Egret thread.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Striated Heron thread.jpg
    BF Striated Heron thread.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 17
I got pretty close views of a Little Pied Cormorant on a post while down at the water's edge were both a Silver Gull and Pied Oystercatcher.

Back at the path, where a Willie-Wagtail had shown himself to me on the previous visit, was another (or the same guy maybe LOL).

Then a beautiful Brahminy Kite flew across, allowing me only two pictures before he disappeared behind a tree.

Attachments

• BF Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Silver Gull thread.jpg
    BF Silver Gull thread.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BF Pied Oystercatcher thread.jpg
    BF Pied Oystercatcher thread.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Willie-Wagtail thread.jpg
    BF Willie-Wagtail thread.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Brahminny Kite thread.jpg
    BF Brahminny Kite thread.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 24
Once more I have a few days away from the keyboard and you have posted further great snaps and great reports. I reckon we'll run out of superlatives before you finish the reports.

End of Part Two

Walking back along the path towards the car, Hans spotted an Australian Water Dragon on the other side of the fence. Handsome beastie.

After a couple of false starts, we managed to find our way to Buckley's Hole. There wasn't too much around that day, suppose it was getting a bit hot by now, so I just got a picture of a Pied Stilt.

Now it was time to head for the airport for my flight further south. Wonder what adventures await me there?

I'll do a draft post next for the Inland Queensland list. It'll likely need editing a few times before I'm done;)

Attachments

• BF Lace Monitor thread.jpg
    BF Lace Monitor thread.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 26
  • BF Pied Stilt thread.jpg
    BF Pied Stilt thread.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 20
Species seen

1. White-winged Chough
  2. Blue-faced Honeyeater
  3. Maned Duck
  4. Laughing Kookaburra
  5. Bar-shouldered Dove
  6. Rainbow Lorikeet
  7. Green Catbird
  8. Peaceful Dove
  9. Galah
  10. Australian Magpie
  11. Noisy Friarbird
  12. Noisy Miner
  13. Lewin's Honeyeater
  14. Regent Bowerbird
  15. Australian Brushturkey
  16. Eastern Golden Whistler
  17. Rufous Fantail
  18. Red-browed Finch
  19. Eastern Spinebill
  20. Silvereye
  21. Yellow-faced Honeyeater
  22. Black Kite
  23. Torresian Crow
  24. Rainbow Bee-eater
  25. Welcome Swallow
  26. Restless Flycatcher
  27. Australian Black Duck
  28. White-necked Heron
  29. White-faced Heron
  30. Great White Egret
  31. Striped Honeyeater
  32. Willie-Wagtail
  33. Fairy Martin
  34. Australian Ringneck
  35. House Sparrow
  36. Magpie-Lark
  37. Whistling Kite
  38. Emu
  39. Yellow-throated Miner
  40. Banded Lapwing
  41. Brolga
  42. Australian Raven
  43. Australian Pipit
  44. White-headed Stilt
  45. Red-kneed Dotterel
  46. Black-fronted Dotterel
  47. White-breasted Woodswallow
  48. Apostlebird
  49. Spotted Bowerbird
  50. White-winged Triller
  51. Little Corella
  52. Brown Treecreeper
  53. ?Hall's Babbler
  54. Australasian Grebe
  55. Black-faced Cuckooshrike
  56. Crested Pigeon
  57. Cockatiel
  58. Major Mitchell's Cockatoo
  59. Mulga Parrot
  60. Blue Bonnet
  61. Yellow-rumped Thornbill
  62. Red-capped Robin
  63. Diamond Dove
  64. White-plumed Honeyeater
  65. Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater
  66. Brown Goshawk
  67. Budgerigar
  68. Masked Woodswallow
  69. Jackie Winter
  70. Red-browed Pardalote
  71. Common Bronzewing
  72. Latham's Snipe
  73. Hardhead
  74. Grey Teal
  75. Little Eagle
  76. Little Friarbird
  77. Rufous Whistler
  78. Square-tailed Kite
  79. Crimson Chat
  80. Bourke's Parrot
  81. Masked Lapwing
  82. Rufous Songlark
  83. White-browed Woodswallow
  84. Hooded Robin
  85. Pied Butcherbird
  86. Wedge-tailed Eagle
  87. Nankeen Kestrel
  88. Black-tailed Nativehen
  89. Southern Whiteface
  90. Grey-crowned Babbler
  91. Brown Falcon (dark phase)
  92. King Parrot
  93. Sulphur-crested Parrot
  94. Pied Currawong
  95. Double-barred Finch
  96. Brown Honeyeater
  97. Superb Fairywren
  98. Sacred Kingfisher
  99. Yellow Robin
  100. Wompoo Fruit-Dove
  101. Spangled Drongo
  102. Cattle Egret
  103. Australian Ibis
  104. Magpie-Goose
  105. Eurasian Coot
  106. Australian Swamphen
  107. Little Black Cormorant
  108. Glossy Ibis
  109. Comb-crested Jacana
  110. Dusky Moorhen
  111. Australian Darter
  112. Wandering Whistling Duck
  113. Australian Pelican
  114. Great Crested Tern
  115. Osprey
  116. Silver Gull
  117. Australian Pied Cormorant
  118. Little Pied Cormorant
  119. Pied Oystercatcher
  120. Brahimy Kite
  121. Striated Heron
  122. Bush Stone-Curlew
  123. Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
  124. Satin Bowerbird
  125. Grey Butcherbird
  126. Crimson Rosella
  127. Australian Logrunner
  128. Pale-yellow Robin
  129. Top-knot Pigeon
  130. Grey Shrikethrush
  131. Yellow-throated Scrubwren
  132. White-browed Scrubwren
  133. Paradise Riflebird
  134. Bell Miner Heard
  135. Black-faced Monarch
  136. Shining Bronze Cuckoo
  137. Little Egret
  138. Great Crested Grebe
  139. Forest Bronzewing
  140. Grey Fantail
  141. Brown Dove
  142. White-throated Treecreeper
  143. Mistletoebird
  144. Scarlet Myzomela
  145. Red-winged Parrot
  146. Pale-headed Rosella
  147. Channel-billed Cuckoo Heard
  148. Australasian Koel Heard
  149. Sooty Owl
  150. Brown Gerygone
  151. Brown Thornbill
  152. Wonga Pigeon
  153. Crested Shriketit
  154. Dollarbird
  155. Great Cormorant
  156. Red-rumped Parrot
  157. Red-tailed Black Cockatoo

Link to Brisbane list

Enjoying this; just one correction, the last lizard photo is an agama (dragon) rather than a monitor. Looks similar to Bearded Dragon, but not sure of other options or splits.

Grrr.... of course it isn't a Monitor... don't know where my brain was last night!!

Think it must be the Australian Water Dragon (Physignathus lesueurii), which are quite common in the Brisbane area.

Thanks WP

Part 3; South Australia

24 & 25 October, 2019

.... but first finish up the 24th. I used a 'cheapie' company for this flight, Jetstar. Worked out fine. Even paying for extra luggage it was still a lot cheaper than using Quantas, but maybe the seating is a bit more cramped. OK though for short inland flights.

I was met by the smiling faces of Peter and Adrienne and off we set to their house.

After some welcome refreshments and a guided tour of their house, Peter took me for a short walk round the roads near his house. I didn't take my camera with me though, just needed some exercise after some lengthy inactivity.

However, we got to hear an unmistakeable Eurasian Blackbird, both calling and tossing over of leaves in someone's garden and could just make him out in the gathering gloom.

Also seen on this short walk were a Laughing Kookaburra, the local subspecies of Australian Magpie (white-backed, G. t. tyrannica) and a Red Wattlebird.

When we got back to the house, the water engineers were digging up the road. It eventually occurred to me that the only way to get to a loo that evening, would be to take Peter and Adrienne to the pub for a meal;), so off we set.... and a very good meal it was too.

Laratinga

The next morning we went to an important nature reserve in Adelaide called Laratinga and I ended up with a spinning head within minutes LOL

The reserve consists of a series of lakes and we had a decent walk around. First we found a Chestnut Teal (I'd not seen one since my early days in Brisbane, I think, about a month before). Then came a Grey Teal, a much closer view than I've had before! What a lovely eye he has.

A movement behind the reeds alerted Peter and he spotted this wee Little Grassbird, I never thought I'd have a hope of seeing one of these secretive guys!!!

Further along, and looking up into the trees, was a new honeyeater for me in New Holland Honeyeater. A Hardhead, showing his white eyes, was next and we had hardly scratched the surface of this reserve, as we'd only been in there 10 minutes!!!

Attachments

• BF Chestnut Teal thread.jpg
    BF Chestnut Teal thread.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Grey Teal thread.jpg
    BF Grey Teal thread.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Little Grassbird thread.jpg
    BF Little Grassbird thread.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 24
  • BF New Holland Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF New Holland Honeyeater thread.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 16
Round a bend and another newbie - a Hoary-headed Grebe swam across the middle of the lake. What a nice bird this one is, I've not even seen that many pictures of them.

Maned Ducks and Pacific Black Ducks were next to cross my horizons. Then Adrienne spotted a turtle on a dead tree root out in the middle of the water. From research, I think it must be a Common Long-necked Turtle.

Completing this set was Dusky Moorhen.

Attachments

• BF Hoary-headed Grebe thread.jpg
    BF Hoary-headed Grebe thread.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 35
  • BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Common Long-necked Turtle thread.jpg
    BF Common Long-necked Turtle thread.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Dusky Moorhen thread.jpg
    BF Dusky Moorhen thread.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back