• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Starling, Sturnus vulgaris (1 Viewer)

Marysan

Spotted this adult, non-breeding Starling today on my morning walk at Lake Murray, San Diego, CA.

Attachments

• 8568estarling.jpg
    8568estarling.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 307
I know that the Eurasian Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) is regarded as somewhat of a pest in the US, so it might be of interest to birders in the new world that the common old Starling has just been placed as a Red List Species (high conservation concern) for the UK. There has been a dramatic drop in the breeding Starling population in the UK over the last 25 years of over 50%.

So just look at those Starlings and note their beautiful plumage and consider that? if they were not considered as common, they are really a very attractive bird, if a little aggressive. On the possitive side of things my local garden population does not appear to be following national UK trends and this species is still common in the Camberley, Surrey corner of the globe! feeding on my fat balls! my House Sparrow flock is still maintaining a healthy 16plus population aswell. The House Sparrow has also made it onto the Red List for the UK, all very worrying I think!

Good birding and fingers crossed

Paul

Your input was very interesting to me, Paul. Thanks. Yes, the Starling this morning was an absolutely stunning bird. It was a surprise to spot it as a loner hanging out with a few Brewer's Blackbirds. I was able to get a few pics of it so as long as I'm posting, I'll attache another photo of the same Starling. Here goes!

Attachments

• 8567estarling.jpg
    8567estarling.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 217
They are said to be declining but we seem to still have plenty around my area. Whilst they are quite stunning to see close up, I think they are even more amazing when seen in flocks of several thousands wheeling through the sky at this time of the year on an evening.

Yes, i wholeheartedly agree! There's nothing like the sight of a large flock wheeling and dipping and turning together through the air like a huge airborne school of fish!

However, i don't care for them at the feeders in my backyard, because they rarely come alone, scare off the songbirds, and devour seed and suet in no time.

But i love to see them in their big autumn flocks. They way they perch on high electrical wires is so fun, sometimes all the wires on a tower covered for dozens of yards by evenly spaced birds! And their sounds, especially in the winter when the air is so devoid of birdsong, always brings a smile. They're pretty good at mimicry too. We've had discussions online about being fooled by a starling into thinking we'd heard an extremely early migrant!

Fun, fun. God's creation is so special!

Sylvia

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back