• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Sandpiper? - North Georgia (1 Viewer)

astroshot

Saw this today, July 30th, in the north georgia mountains. It was really hard to get a look through my 8x42 bins, but I snapped this with my telephoto. I'm guessing spotted sandpiper, though I can't really pick up any color on the legs, no spots (these are two different birds). Also what's going on in pic 4 with the reddish maroon color, trick of the sun, I suppose. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3609.JPG
    IMG_3609.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3612.JPG
    IMG_3612.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3617.JPG
    IMG_3617.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 123
Looks like a Solitary to me. Note the white spur on the shoulder and the white around the eye. Also Spotteds teeter compulsively and have a really fast wingbeat.

hmm, yeah and it does seem to have more coloration on the neck than a spotted might. I guess the thing that was getting me was the sense of brown and not gray on the body, but I've never actually seen either bird, so what do I know.

OK well thanks everyone! I appreciate it.

I live in Largo Florida and have seen these sandpipers at the beach. They walk really fast to hurry and catch their food. Quite interesting to watch. Ours are more white. I didn't know they travel up to the mountains though...

Marian,
North Georgia Cabin Rentals
Georgia Web Directory Resource Center

They are likely Sanderlings, a completely different type of Sandpiper.

Anyway as for this bird, it is a Solitary. Usually they are finely spotted with white on their dark back, but not in this case. The streaked neck, white around eye, and tail pattern all point to Solitary.

As for Spotteds flying, I'd describe their wingbeats as very shallow and reluctant rather than fast. Solitaries fly more liquidly compared to Spotteds, but still not as fluidly as yellowlegs.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back