• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

difference niger seed quality?? (1 Viewer)

is there a difference in niger seed quality??..Example:would niger seed purchased at a lower price (from,say,"Home Depot",)..be of a different quality from niger seed purchased at premium prices from,say,a "Bird specialty store"?

i had oooodles of goldfinches with one batch of niger seed..then i put out some "bargain" niger seed and most of the goldfinches seem to have gone else where..

actually,i am looking for reasons why they left..wondering if it could have been the seed quality.

thanks for response.just found this forum..it looks wonderful..

Hi Alice,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, as this is your first post I'd like to welcome you to Bird Forum :t:

I'm no expert on Niger seed, though we have used it in our feeders to very effectively attract Goldfinches for about a year now. I must admit that we tend to buy from the cheapest source we can and the birds still love it.

Our birds do come and go through the year, but we always have at least one or two visiting the feeders and sometimes up to 20 birds.

Hopefully somebody from your side of the Pond will be along soon and may be better informed than me.

See you around.

Hello,
I have noticed that if the seed is the least bit spoiled, the goldfinches will ignore it until fresh seed is put in the feeder. You may have gotten a bad batch. When I don't see any goldfinches for a while, I change the seed. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back