• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 70-200mm f4 Non IS Image Problem? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

Im looking for some input, where possible.

Ive come across this intermittent phenomena whilst using a recently purchased Canon 70-200mm f4 (non IS) lens. (see dark edge/shadow/smudging to outline of flowers) It seems to happen in harsh light, where white is against a darker background. I have images surrounding the one above that do not carry this issue. Ive also seen a slight paler edge as above on the top of a Gulls head (in dull light) and against a darkish green background. (see attached image)

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it a form of chromatic aberration or something to do with the Camera image processing or sensor? I must admit, Ive done a few test shots, unfortunately all indoors, and have not seen the problem occur when the lens was used with my 50D. The above image was taken using the 1DMK2N. Im hoping to try the lens with both bodies, outdoors, later today! :)

I must add, the vast majority of images taken with both the 70-200mm and 1D body, have been fine; im just slightly unsettled by the above occurrences.

Ive done lots of searching, but cannot find anything to replicate the above. If anyone has any idea or clues as to what could be happening, I'd love to hear; particularly if this is either a lens or camera issue.

Exif data is included.
Tripod used
1/800th sec
f/5.6
ISO 640
Spot Metering
70mm
No post processing

Best wishes and thanks,

Attachments

• bh_gull_1.jpg
    bh_gull_1.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 114
  • lens_1a.jpg
    lens_1a.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 105
Hey Tom. First off, if I were to guess, there is an element out of alignment in the optical train of the lens. I can't say for certain, but that is what my gut says, since the phenomenon appears to occur only against high contrast at the top of frame, I'm guessing it's one of the element that aids in CA correction. It's just a hunch though, as I have no lens designing experience. ;)

Secondly, I have owned this lens for four years, shot in every type of lighting, with every possible aperture, and have never seen this problem.

Ultimately, if I were in your shoes, I'd return it immediately for a replacement. Seems like a freak problem.

Jason

Last edited:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your input!

I tried this lens on 3 Canon bodies today; a 1dMK2N, Canon 50D, and a friends 1dmk3 to check the consistency of the problem. Most of the shots were white/bright birds against a darker background. The mk2 showed the aberration on nearly all the images; there were no problems on the 50D images and only a couple of images from the MK3 showed the very slightest aberration (almost undetectable, but because im scrutinising things, I saw the slightest flaw)

So Im puzzled as to why the problem exists mainly on only one camera, my 1dmk2n! :stuck:

Will post examples shortly!

Regards,

Edit: Image 1) 1dmk2n 2) 50D 3) 1dmk3

Attachments

• 1dmk2n_1_150811.jpg
    1dmk2n_1_150811.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 50D_1_150811.jpg
    50D_1_150811.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 1dmk3_1_150811.jpg
    1dmk3_1_150811.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Strange. Have you tried replicating those shooting circumstance with other lenses on the MkIIn? Could it be a sensor issue?

I wondered whether it could be sensor related, but thats my problem, I really have no idea! Very puzzling!

Thanks for giving this some thought, Jason! :t:

Tom, I was playing with my 70-200 4 USM the other day, on my 1D, to do hummingbird photography. I was surprised that I encountered the problem you are having in similar scenarios with high contrast subjects, but only when shooting wide open. I think it is an artifact that occurs naturally in the optical cone, maybe not CA, but more like the point of bokeh separation...if that makes sense. I'll try to upload those images soon so you can take a look and decide if the end result looks similar to you.

Tom, I was playing with my 70-200 4 USM the other day, on my 1D, to do hummingbird photography. I was surprised that I encountered the problem you are having in similar scenarios with high contrast subjects, but only when shooting wide open. I think it is an artifact that occurs naturally in the optical cone, maybe not CA, but more like the point of bokeh separation...if that makes sense. I'll try to upload those images soon so you can take a look and decide if the end result looks similar to you.

Hi Jason,

Very interesting that you too have encountered this situation. I decided the problem lies with the 1dmk2n that Im using.

Will look forward to seeing your results! :)

Thanks again for your input! :t:

Best wishes,

Here are a couple flower shots where you can see no artifact when in perfect focus, but a similar artifact to yours when just slightly out of focus.These are 100% crops. I notice the white dress seems to avoid the issue in your second photo and is seemingly in focus, but the flowers do show the issue maybe because they are behind the focus point, as they are closer to the lens. I'm not sure if this is the same thing going on here, but thought of your post when I encountered the phenomenon behind the lens. Don't know if this helps, but I hope you can solve the issue.

Attachments

• 20110816-13DC8476.jpg
    20110816-13DC8476.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 71
  • 20110816-13DC8477.jpg
    20110816-13DC8477.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 83
Here are a couple flower shots where you can see no artifact when in perfect focus, but a similar artifact to yours when just slightly out of focus.These are 100% crops. I notice the white dress seems to avoid the issue in your second photo and is seemingly in focus, but the flowers do show the issue maybe because they are behind the focus point, as they are closer to the lens. I'm not sure if this is the same thing going on here, but thought of your post when I encountered the phenomenon behind the lens. Don't know if this helps, but I hope you can solve the issue.

Hello Jason,

Yes, I can see the 'artifacts' you mention in your shots. Ive encountered these 'marks' in both in focus and out of focus parts of an image. It doesnt seem to be a problem when I use either my 50D or a friends 1DMK3 with the same lens. Ive accepted that its a 'problem' with the 1D body and 70-200mm combination. In fact, Ive gone through image files taken with the 1D and 500mm f/4 lens, and ive seen evidence of this phenomena with that setup.

Thanks again for your contribution,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back