• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favourite bird of all time? (1 Viewer)

I agree with you Bob mine is also Hoopoe, stunning birds I will never tire of seeing, I only wish they would start to colonise the UK.

I agree with RobinM, it's impossible to choose a "favourite" bird, mine changes depending on what I've seen lately. This week is "Hawfinch Week" as I have discovered a site. Mind you like everybody else here I'm in love with LTT's!!!

Bob,

I would have to say once again the Water Rail in the UK and the Greater Roadrunner abroad.

The elusive rail not only rewards you with its understated beauty but its call from the reeds sounds like a pig squealing. If you finally see the bird you cannot believe that it could make such a sound.

Rob.

Bob Fitzclark said:
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what people's favourite bird was. I recently met Bill Oddie and he told me his favourite bird was a Fairy Tern. His answer was so delightful it got me thinking.

Clearly Bill agrees is one of those who change their mind on this. Watching The Great Man tonight on Bill Oddie Goes Wild, he mused that his favourite bird was the Swallow!

Hi Sva. I went ,I looked and I saw a beautiful photo of a beautiful Bird.

I must say I am revising my fav. bird over and over and I have to agree with some here,it really seems to be the last bird I see each day. The Hawks along the highway today were a sight to behold!!!!

Boy, this is a tough one!

If pressed, I'd admit to a two-way tie:

Great Blue Heron: this was the first bird I identified independently. It caused me to buy my first field guide (an Audubon guide to eastern birds, and Audubon uses the silhouette of a GBH for its logo). It was also the first wild bird I helped to rescue. That bird, unfortunately, was seriously injured and died in my arms, but I will never forget the utter thrill of holding that magnificent creature in my arms and lap, trying to get him to a rehabber.

The other is a Red-Tailed Hawk. I adore finding them along the highways as I travel about, finding them in the trees, and seeing them soar above me in blue Indiana skies. I've had the good fortunte to not only help flight train injured/rehabbed red-tails for release, but to also actually hold a magnificent male red-tail in my hands and release him back to the wild. I very nearly burst into tears!

Then there's the last bird I saw.......

Hi everyone,

I just returned from Ecuador. Of course, my favorite bird of all time changed several times on that trip alone! But I must choose so.......Andean Cock-of-the-Rock. What a creature! I've read it is on almost all international birders' top 50 list. Now I know why.

dennis

Pileated Woodpecker for me. Very majestic. Almost from another world. Second would be the Indigo Bunting because they are stunning to look at.

In the UK it has to be a tie between the tiny Kingfisher for its agility and flash of colour, and the Green Woodpecker for its colouration. Abroad I love watching Hummingbirds for the speed of their wings, just hovering outside the mouth of a Hibiscus is a superb sight.

favourite bird

Plenty of candidates spring to mind but for me it would have to be the Swift.

Their calls are so evocative of summer and, if ever a bird looks like its just out having some fun, it's when these lot are screaming around the rooftops.

Pity their stay here's so brief. Arriving in May and clearing off in August, is it something to do with them not liking the football season?

Just came ac ross this thread. It is impossible!
Ones that stand out in my memory are
a) Asian paradise flycatcher--I just loved watching its tail flitting along about 30cm behind the front end of the bird.
b) Great Grey (=northern) shrike--partly because I tend to see them in atmospheric settings
c) little owl (I always enjoy watching them)
d) peregrine falcon (majestic in action)
e) dotterel ('cos I want to see one!)

I know that 5 is cheating but I could make it 55.

Any member of the Caprimulgiformes is a good bet. But my favourite has to be the Pennant-winged Nightjar I saw in Kenya in 1991. As for Britain, Wryneck, Firecrest, all the shrikes......
But come on, Pennant-winged Nightjar (with pennants) is a classic!

Favorite is tough, so many come to mind.
I guess Ruffed Grouse, seen many years ago while hiking.
We had stopped for lunch and heard something "scratching around in leaves", we listened and soon a grouse hen came around a large pine followed by 7 little bundle"s of puff, the hen spied my boot lace tip which was "red" and commenced to try her darndast to run off with it. Arm's length away, what a treat.

Number 2 would be "Red headed Woodpecker", lucky for me they nest in the yard in a dead oak. Sitting in the "hot tub" , drinking "Wildturkey", watching the Redheads fly back and forth, doesen't get better than that!

Last edited:
Favourite bird

Im a bit late getting here but here is mine. the Dunnock.
Ive seen a lot of smashing birds , but i always find close up views of these guys a delight, Andy Bright has a wonderful picture of one which really does this bird full justice and they are full of character. Ps i still call them Hedge Sparrows and i dont care hang me if you like.

I am a fan of the black-capped chickadee. They are a tiny ball of feathers with great courage and a wonderful personality. They will allow close approaches and can be hand fed (if they so desire). They are very acrobatic when searching for food. They have a peppy call. They look quite handsome in their black and white attire. If they were people, I would love to have them over for dinner.

Reeves' pheasant

I think that the most beautiful species would be the reeves' pheasant, which of course i have never seen. Yet I tend to find some interesting aspects from the dullest of bird families, such as the Tyrannidae

Can't believe that no one mentioned the Common Starling, the male in spring and summer is so striking with his glossy iridescant plumage and handsome yellow bill, plus they have such great character, and an even greater plus point is their wonderful ability to mimic. Try standing near a flock that has some singing birds in it during wautumn and winter and see how many different bird calls you can pick out, it can be quite revealing, here there are no wild partridges of either colour, yet I have heard starlings mimic their calls, so they obviously were not local birds!

For sheer delight at call, antics and colour though I must also list the bearded tit, fantastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back