• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellowhammer Song (1 Viewer)

mark clements

I am coming to the conclusion that Yellowhammers do not need to eat.

There is one in a particular tree on my boundary that we hear about every 40 seconds from pre-dawn until dusk... genuinely non-stop!

It is in the same tree all of the time, it seems fine and healthy, but I really do not need to hear it anywhere as many times a day. Is this unusual for a Yellowhammer?

I realise I have presented this as an absolute, it may stop when we go out, but it would have to be bright to know when that is, as the car is the other side of the house.

Or a bird song recording fanatic is playing back constantly, as some kind of mind bending revenge. In which case its working, but we can see the bird...

Any other examples of near constant calling?

I am coming to the conclusion that Yellowhammers do not need to eat.

There is one in a particular tree on my boundary that we hear about every 40 seconds from pre-dawn until dusk... genuinely non-stop!

It is in the same tree all of the time, it seems fine and healthy, but I really do not need to hear it anywhere as many times a day. Is this unusual for a Yellowhammer?

I realise I have presented this as an absolute, it may stop when we go out, but it would have to be bright to know when that is, as the car is the other side of the house.

Or a bird song recording fanatic is playing back constantly, as some kind of mind bending revenge. In which case its working, but we can see the bird...

Any other examples of near constant calling?

That damn Wood Pigeon on our roof. It never stops, from morning till night. It goes on and on an and and on.............[ unless it comes down for a feed in the garden, when it temporarily shuts up].

Last edited:
Or would you rather not hear any birdsong, insects or even wild flowers when they explode their seedheads?

Today I was woken up by Green Woodpecker, Stock Dove, Greater Spotted Woodpecker before the Collared Doves and Woodpecker whilst on holiday in West Sussex. Surprisingly was the unmistakeable call of a Barn Owl yesterday just after dusk. Back home now in North Norfolk and serenaded by Greenfinch, Goldfinch, House Martin's and Swallows.
Will not miss the jet airlines from Gatwick, and the nearby smaller international airports that are fairly low whilst Channel hopping.
Its peaceful in some parts of Nelson's County. Our village Yellowhammers down to just one singing male but possibly some youngsters flitting nearby.

Or would you rather not hear any birdsong, insects or even wild flowers when they explode their seedheads?

Today I was woken up by Green Woodpecker, Stock Dove, Greater Spotted Woodpecker before the Collared Doves and Woodpecker whilst on holiday in West Sussex. Surprisingly was the unmistakeable call of a Barn Owl yesterday just after dusk. Back home now in North Norfolk and serenaded by Greenfinch, Goldfinch, House Martin's and Swallows.
Will not miss the jet airlines from Gatwick, and the nearby smaller international airports that are fairly low whilst Channel hopping.
Its peaceful in some parts of Nelson's County. Our village Yellowhammers down to just one singing male but possibly some youngsters flitting nearby.

I did not mean to sound that grumpy, I am happy to hear it, it's just that 2000 times a day everyday, without apparent feed stops, is a tad bewildering. The query, not a complaint, was more about the continuous delivery.
And its not jet free twixt thee and me, with RAF, USAF and Norwich International.

H

When I studied Yellowhammers in the past, I got the impression that the males would sing almost continuously while the female was incubating, presumably to reassure the female that she was safe on the nest. If you approached the nest he would abruptly stop singing and switch to an alert call so that she was aware if the threat.

So maybe your birds are successfully nesting somewhere at the moment. Consider it a good sign that he is singing so much, and enjoy it while you can (he will stop when they're busy feeding chicks!)

Yes, for sure it will stop singing soon.

In the meantime, maybe you could put a little bit of bread (no cheese) out for it to stop it complaining ;) o:)

Coincidentally - out and about yesterday in local field and hedge habitat and the only singing species i had was Yellowhammer about 4 of them. I did wonder why they were singing now that the breeding season must be over and nothing else is...

Laurie:t:

Coincidentally - out and about yesterday in local field and hedge habitat and the only singing species i had was Yellowhammer about 4 of them. I did wonder why they were singing now that the breeding season must be over and nothing else is...

Laurie:t:
My experience is that they go on singing until the crops are harvested - after that, food is hard to come by and they stop.

My experience is that they go on singing until the crops are harvested - after that, food is hard to come by and they stop.

Interesting. I'm far away from Yellowhammers but I do immerse myself in Cirl Buntings regularly down here and they seem to stop singing around early July.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back