• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 summer birds (1 Viewer)

mkdon

What are the 5 (or more) most prevalent summer birds in your area? I did a thread like this for the winter and spring and it was of great interest and value, as I don't know much about birds of the world. I live in south central Pennsylvania USA and the 5 summer birds that I see the most are:

The American Goldfinch
The American Robin
The Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
The Grey Catbird
The House Finch

I would like to do this thread for the fall, too. It sends me to the bird books to see what the birds look like that you see all over the world. Thanks for taking part.

Hi mkdon

Here in South Australia there is not a great deal of difference between seasons.

Around my garden the most common birds in summer (i.e. January-Feb) are:
Little Wattlebird (right now they have young in the nest, although it was only 4 degrees C last night),
(Australian) Magpie,
New Holland Honeyeater,
Spotted Dove (an introduction from SE Asia, Streptopelia chinensis),
Musk Lorikeet.

The books will show you how they look, but not the noise the lorikeets make. They scream!

Rufus

G'day mkdon

It's late winter here in Australia. I'm in sw Victoria and the most common birds in my backyard at present (and virtually all year) are:
New Holland Honeyeater,
Red Wattlebird,
Little Raven,
Eurasian Blackbird (introduced) and
Australian Magpie.

Regular visitors lately include Brown Thornbill, Superb Fairy-wren, House Sparrow (introduced), Laughing Kookaburra, Collared Sparrowhawk, Golden Whistler and Grey Shrike-thrush. We should be getting Shining and Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoos any day now.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Vic, Aus
http://members.datafast.net.au/clarkja/sw_birds.htm

Here in my "Town Garden" near Reading, Berkshire, Southern England, the seasons don't seem to change my garden birds.
The five most common are:
Starlings
House Sparrows
Wood Pigeons.
Blackbirds
Robin.

Less common are:
Ring Dove
Hedge Sparrow
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch

High Summer in Yokohama, hot and humid as the hinges of Hell. The five birds that have the most energy to fly about or otherwise make themselves known in my neighborhood are:

Brown-eared Bulbul
Great Tit
Rufous Turtle-Dove
Jungle Crow
Japanese Bush Warbler

Closely followed by Grey Starling, Barn Swallow, Azure-winged Magpie, Japanese White-eye, Eurasian Tree Sparrow...

(PS: LOVE those Bronze-Cuckoos, Steve!)

also in and around my garden, just outside Cardiff the most common birds do not change from season to season.

The 5 most common are:

Jackdaw
Starling
house sparrow
magpies
blue tits

The RSPB carry out a Big Garden watch in UK every year in February - i think. This year the five most common garden birds were:

Starling
House Sparrow
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Chaffinch

The two most widespread were blue tits and robins.

I think that far better than watching for one hour in one day in February for the RSPB, is the BTO's GardenBirdwatch where you keep a record for every week of the year (except of course when you are away from home).

No doubt ANY observations are useful and I'm sure the RSPB attracted many more observers than the BTO does. However for regular garden watchers, the BTO must be far more rewarding. Records can be entered on the web, and this is a great improvement on the old scheme, when paper records were sent in each quarter.

The five most common birds in my yard in summer are:

House Sparrow
House Finch
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle

Followed by:
Black-capped Chickadee
Downy Woodpecker
American Robin
European Starling
Rock Dove
Blue Jay
Chimney Swift

And, of course, the most common birds in our area (northwest Missouri) vary as to what habitat you happen to be birding.

Larry

Around here in Zama the most common appear to be:

Eurasian Tree Sparrow
Brown-eared Bulb
Azure-winged Magpie
Rufous Turtle-Dove
Jungle Crow

The sparrows are in the greatest number but you seem to notice the bulbuls and magpies because they are so vociferous.
In some places the Grey Starlings are starting to congregate, as they do every autumn. Of course the ever present Barn Swallows, Japanese Bush Warblers, and Great Tits are always around. :t:

In our backyard probably the most common have been:

grackle
starling
house finche
mourning dove
american robin

also we have had

blue jay
northern cardinal
rose breasted grossbeak
nuthatch
red headed woodpecker
downy woodpecker
northern flicker
chickadee
baltimore oriole
goldfinch
and just recently a eurasian collared dove

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back