• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback HD CA (1 Viewer)

winginit

I've read several good reviews of the Vortex Diamondback HD binoculars and decided to buy a pair. Today I took them to do some birding in an urban park and was surprised by the amount chromatic aberration. Looking at buildings surrounding the park I noticed lots of purple/violet vertical and horizontal edges. Building edges, window frames, edges of roofs - all had CA. It was less noticeable in trees, but still present. Focusing on things close up I didn’t notice it. Other than the CA, focus is sharp and color seems pretty accurate. So I’m hoping I just got a bad copy that I can exchange. But if this much CA is normal for the Diamondback HD, I’d rather get something else. Opinions? Advice? Thanks!

Winginit,

Hard to say for sure but noticeable CA in a DBack HD may be one of the line's weaknesses or compromises to meet the price point. I'm no expert but it seems from reading here that good control of CA is one of the more expensive characteristics to achieve. You may also have read that some members here are not bothered by CA, some don't even notice it, others cannot abide it, etc. So it may be you are more sensitive to CA than most. It's also possible you did get a lemon. Assuming your model is still in good shape you could consider contacting Vortex for an exchange. I have good experience with Vortex after market service.

I do notice some CA mostly in lower cost binoculars but am not overly bothered by it so am not the person to advise about suitable alternatives to the DBack HD series in its price range if you are sensitive to CA. I did test an 8x28 DBack HD for a week or so before giving it to a friend as a gift and did not notice unacceptable levels of CA but again not being a pet peeve of mine, I didn't look for it specifically.

You are likely to get more expert advice soon. In the meantime, hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks for your reply, Mike. Vortex says some purple fringing is normal with the Diamondback HD, but it should be barely perceptible. They advised repair or exchange. I was very impressed with their customer service, because they called back to make sure I knew all my options. They were candid about the limitations of the Diamondbacks.

I have another brand of bins in the same price range that have very subtle green fringing. Which I find more “natural” for birding than purple. Not sure if I’ll exchange or buy a different brand.

Hoping for feedback from other Diamondback HD owners about the amount of fringing they experience.

Last edited:
Have just had a look through our 8x42 and 10x42. Looking at the edges of buildings, I couldn't notice much CA. More at the edge of the FOV but nothing really in the centre. The same for a large oak tree. It's a bright day here so fairly testing conditions. The HD glass certainly doesn't eliminate CA but I wouldn't expect you to be too put off by it.

Thanks for your reply, Joe. The fringing in the pair I had was dark purple for the most part, not subtle. Very noticeable looking at birds perched on roof tops, railings, etc. I sent them back for an exchange. With luck I'll have the new pair by the end of the week.

Received my replacement Diamondback HD. Purple fringing is reduced, more of a subtle violet in this pair, easier to ignore. The hinge on these new ones is ridiculously tight, but hopefully, they'll loosen up. So far, overall impression is good.

The hinge is more often than not very tight on the Diamondbacks, same with the 'old' non-HD models. Some examples were more notable than others. IMO it's not the worst thing, particularly if you're not sharing them, as you'll ideally leave them at the right IPD for you so it's not something you should need to adjust often. I'm pleased to hear the replacement model is better for CA!

I've had a chance to use the Diamondbacks some more and compare them to a few other binoculars. They have more CA than any other bins I've used. I compared them to an older pair of Bushnell Legend HDs, similar in design and price point. Optically, the two models are very close but the Legends do a better job of controlling CA. Still, I think the Diamondbacks are good, and the 5 ft close focus is a plus.

I came here because I just purchased a new pair of DB HD 8x42. Lost my old DB 8x42 a week ago (bought back in early 2017). I am happy with how much better the HD version is. Sharper and more clarity than the non-HD. One thing I did not like about the older model was the CA around backlit birds. I will be testing the CA on the new HD model soon.

The hinge on the new HD version is stiffer to move or bend than the previous non-HD model.

Eventually will get the Viper model.

Last edited:
I was using a 20yr old pair of Bausch & Lomb 7 x 42 discoverers which were falling to bits but still optically good.

Two weeks ago I dropped them one time too many and they became terminally knackered.

I decided to take a punt on a pair of 8 x 42 Diamondback HD's and initial impressions are that they're better than I anticipated, particularly after reading the issues with CA that are prevalent on this thread - I don't notice it at all.

Optically, they're not quite as bright as my old pair and nowhere near as robust.
That said, I'm not sure you could beat them on a bang for the buck basis.
Time will tell, if I get five years out of them, they will be money well spent.

Stay safe.
Mike.

Last edited:
I agree Mike, not the most robust construction. QC could be better, too. (There's quite a bit of play in the left plastic eye piece on my pair.) But hard to beat at the price I paid. And not much risk due to the lifetime warranty.

Hi,

I ordered 2 Diamondback HDs in 10x28 configuration.
My intended use for this one is as a compact glovebox bin.
The first one I recieved had terrible astigmatism on 1/3 of the field of view, at the right side.
After 5 minutes of looking through them, I was bothered enough to deside to put them back in the box.
I could indeed see some CA, but I think it is something to expect in this price category.
They do look good and this unit had very good working eyecups, hinge, diopter and precise focus without free play.

So I ordered a second pair to see if this would be any better.
Well, there seems two be some variation indeed.
The focus on this unit is also precise but has some free play, the diopter doesn't feel as sturdy as with the 1st unit but stays put, and when focussing I hear some cracking noise.. Both hinge and eyecups work fine.
Luckily, the view is a little better with less astigmatism and maybe a little less CA.
The right side is still a little more fuzzy than left but it's not so bothersome and distracting as with the previous.
I do not really notice it when looking at birds.

The sweetspot isn't really big but it is quit sharp, with good contrast and, I have to say, really nice colour rendition.
I looked at a Greenfinch and a Jackdawn in a nearby tree and they solved really nice details even as the plummage details of a Common Buzzard 100m up in the sky.

I am going to keep this unit. They are not perfect but they can be handy when I need them and I don't need to worry to much if something happens to them.

Grtz

I was pretty sure I was going to buy the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 until I checked out the Oberwerk 10x42 Sport ED's for only about $50 more. The addition of the ED I think is worth it and can't wait to check them out. https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwerk-sport-ed-series/

The 8x42 (along with the 10x42) were rated Best "All-around" Binoculars 2020 in Space.com which made me look at them seriously and after talking with Kevin, (the actual owner/CEO who answers his own Email & phone calls) I am seriously excited to receive them. From what I have read, he demands very high QC from his Asian suppliers who he has had for well over 20 years. I have a used (discontinued) pair of Oberwerk 25x/40x100mm Long range observation binos off Craigslist a couple months ago which is what turned me on to this company originally, but many people in the Cloudy Nights forum have nothing but high regard for the Oberwerk products and quality. Here is the link to the Space.com review. https://www.space.com/26021-best-binoculars.html

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back