• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Belize march 2014 (1 Viewer)

Going to Belize in march 2014 and not having unlimited time, I need som advice on which site to visit in order to get the most out of birding while seeing the site - El Pilar or Xunantunich. Any advice on the best places to bird around San Ignasio would also be very helpful. We will have a rented car and would like to optimize both birding and sight seeing. We will have three full days at our disposal.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Regards
Carsten

The area around Thousand Foot Falls is good, with Orange-breasted Falcon at the falls themselves (also when I visited in March 2007 King Vulture, Swallow-tailed Kite, both close at almost eye level, nesting Plumbeous Vireo, and nearby Rusty Sparrows, Yellow-backed Oriole and a few other bits & bobs). There's an account of my trip here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=83137 , with the Mountain Pine Ridge stuff on #12.

Have a great trip, and do please let us know how you got on.

Cheers

James

Thanks Jeff and James (looking forward to reading through your trip report). I'll make plans for both sites which leaves us with one day. Should we opt for El Pilar or Xunantunich or another site altogether?

Regards Carsten

Having lived in Belize, albeit in 1985, I'd opt for Xunantunich and take in the ruins too. Given how long they've been there I can't imagine that they've changed much in less than 30 years!

Having lived in Belize, albeit in 1985, I'd opt for Xunantunich and take in the ruins too. Given how long they've been there I can't imagine that they've changed much in less than 30 years!

We've decided to go to Xunantunich during the day time one day and doing the night walk from one of the nearby lodges the same day. Hope to see lots of good birds in the San Ignasio area.
Regards Carsten

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back