• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod Trouble - Carbon Cuts? (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

Hi All,

My 13 year old Velbon carbon fibre tripod (not sure what model) is great, but lately, after walking around with it and handling the legs with bare hands I've been getting what feel like very fine cuts or splinters in my hands.

Not enough to draw blood or anything, but quite irritating and some sometimes painful. It's as if microscopic shards of carbon fibre are coming off the shaft and into my hands. Rubbing with nylon cloth I see very fine fibres in the cloth...

I think it might have started during a very windy cold day in Northumberland when it got covered in sand. Did the sand cut into the carbon fibre when I slid the legs up? Have I just worn out an outer coating over the years and this is just what happens?

If carbon fibre shards are going into my hands, how bad is that for me?

It all seems a bit weird and I'd be grateful for any light anyone could shed.

Thanks very much,

Rick

It does sound as if the outer gel coat has worn and some minor examination is taking place and the fibres are irritating your skin. Sand would be abrasive enough once into the leg tubes. The problem area should be visible. Perhaps time for a new set of legs. Any sharp foreign material entering through your skin ( eg a splinter ) will obviously cause a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks Pyrtyle,

So nothing much I can do about then? Is this about a normal lifespan for a carbon tripod, or have I just been a bit unlucky?

Rick

You could try rubbing the affected section or areas with a fine oil ( 3 in 1) to see if this helps, I'm guessing that the sections are not sticky or jamming when folded up. No reason why it cannot still be used if it's up yo the job.

If the tripod has collet locks, you can disassemble it and clean everything up with lighter fluid. I have done this a couple of times with an old Gitzo Studex. Before reassembly put a very very small amount of grease on the lock threads.
DON'T put oil on the tubes!
If you see damage to the carbon fibre tubes, this could perhaps be remedied by judicious use of 1200 grade emery or finer, also before reassembly. Be careful not to breathe in any of the dust. Should you still need to seal the surface a single very thin coat of polyurethane varnish might work. It could be diluted with thinners and applied with a paper towel.

John

PS:- Always make sure the tripod legs are clean before you collapse them.

DON'T put oil on the tubes!

John,

Could you explain your statement please, thank you. I have lightly oiled my Swarovski CF tripod legs [Velbon rebadged?] since purchase over 10 years and am not aware of any signs of degradation.

P

Last edited:
Could you explain your statement please, thank you. I have lightly oiled my Swarovski CF tripod legs [Velbon rebadged?] since purchase over 10 years and am not aware of any signs of degradation.

The leg clamps are dependant on friction and oil is going to reduce this. If clamps are loosened sufficiently and the tubes are kept clean I don't think there should be any problem in extending or collapsing the legs.

I once owned a carbon fibre canoe and the manufacturer recommended a product called "303" for hull protection. I think this was a silicone similar to ArmorAll but protection from UV light is not really an issue with tripods and I would be loath to try it.

John

If it is only the outer tubes, you could try coating them with a thin layer of clear epoxy. I'm especially thinking of the epoxy that is used in conjunction with woven fiberglass cloth to patch boat hulls and the like.

--AP

Just another comment on using oil: I think it is likely to attract dirt, which is undesirable.
However, I have just applied some ArmorAll to a CF tripod with collet clamps. Apart from a shiny finish, I don't see much benefit, but at least there is no apparent loss in clamping efficiency.

John

Thanks all - some things to try at least.

Anyone have any experience about taking a Velbon Delta Carbon Mk2 apart? Not sure if it has collet locks...

R

Thanks all - some things to try at least.

Anyone have any experience about taking a Velbon Delta Carbon Mk2 apart? Not sure if it has collet locks...

R

Hi,

no that one has levers... still shouldn't be difficult to take apart and clean... while you are at it, inspect the tubes for abrasion marks and either lightly sand with very fine paper and/or apply a very thin coat of some clear varnish.

Joachim

Great thanks - looks like I've got a project this weekend!

So, polyurethane varnish? Gloss or matt make any difference? I see it's possible to buy in spray form - will that enable to me to get the coat thin enough or should I stick with John's "diluted with thinners and applied with a paper towel."

Rick

Last edited:
Rick,

Gloss or matt doesn't really make any difference. However, if you spray your'e going to have to mask everything except the tube surfaces.
The polyurethane varnish should bind any exposed carbon fibres and I suggested thinners (10-15%) just to minimise any surface irregularities.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back