• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compatible long plate for Gitzo GHF2W (2 Viewers)

Saxatilis

Hello all,

I have just purchased a big 16x70 binoscope (the Oberwerk Bt 70-45, 4 kg) and I see that the Gitzo GHF2W I had recently chosen for some lighter instruments is now a bit in trouble to support the weight of it.

In particular I see that the included standard (Arca Swiss compatible) plate, the GS5370DR, is clearly unsuitable to support the weight of a front-heavy and long instrument like mine, so I’m starting to consider an upgrade, the longer Gitzo GS5370LDR because I would like to get a better balance with this 14cm long plate.

Frankly speaking, the problem is the very expensive price at which this longer GS5370LDR plate is sold (100 euros).

I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative on the market that fits the GHF2W.

Do you guys have any advice?

Thank you

As I recall, this head will accept standard Arca Swiss plates. These are available on eBay or Amazon up to 20cm at very reasonable prices from ($15-20) third party manufacturers. The larger issue is that the GHF2W may not be suited to a 4K load.

Best,
Jerry

As I recall, this head will accept standard Arca Swiss plates. These are available on eBay or Amazon up to 20cm at very reasonable prices from ($15-20) third party manufacturers. The larger issue is that the GHF2W may not be suited to a 4K load.

Best,
Jerry

Thank you Jerry.
I will probably choose a 14 or 20 cm third party plate and try it on my GHF2W.
Sure, the 16x70 is huge and heavy and the head is seriously challenged like I have alraedy seen, but I might obtain a better balance with a longer plate.
Otherwise I have a couple of older Manfrotto heads that are suited to bigger loads, and could use one of those heads from other tripods.

If you don’t mind, I would be very interested in your results. It would be great if you could report back to this thread with your experience. I’m starting to “thin my herd” but I’m debating about an APM 70mm APO and your results would be very helpful.

Jerry

If you don’t mind, I would be very interested in your results. It would be great if you could report back to this thread with your experience. I’m starting to “thin my herd” but I’m debating about an APM 70mm APO and your results would be very helpful.

Jerry

Jerry
I will use them in the hawk migration counts I make every year since 1984 in my region (Genoa, NW Italy). The first session will be held next May. I just chose them because I scan skies in search of migrating raptors approaching my site from a noticeable distance (3 to 6 km); under such conditions I don't need to refocus continuously. Before I had a 15x70 straight-type, and still own a Vortex Kaibab 15x56HD that will not be replaced by the Oberwerks.
I'll let you know.

Alexis
thank you for your suggestion. I had already considered some of third part plates 15 or 20cm long in the last few days, I will order the model you have indicated.

Last edited:
...I had already considered some of third part plates 15 or 20cm long in the last few days, I will order the model you have indicated.

Note that I linked directly to the 15 cm plate but that it is also available in 16.9 cm if that is better for you.

--AP

Jerry

Hi Jerry
here are my first impressions of the Oberwerk BT 70-45 binoscope appeared on the italian forum Binomania.it https://www.binomania.it/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10909&sid=633a7a600f3b2a13af0c8f3e0abac036 (sorry, it is in Italian but the Google translater may be helpful to you, hope)
best

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back