• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead Barred Owl (1 Viewer)

LadyJayne

We have been watching two owls hunt the neighborhood for the past month or so. We thought one was a juvenile as he came really close to the house and landed on the tops of the feeders and hunted the property behind our house that had just been cleared. We have seen both at the same time. Yesterday my husband found one, the juvenile we think, because of the size dead in the middle of the road and called everyone we could think of but no one cared or wanted the carcus. Being Saturday the health department is closed. There was no blood at the scene and could not tell if it was shot. Seems strange, wondering about bird flu, and why no one cares. Advice?

Last edited:
LadyJayne said:
We have been watching two owls hunt the neighborhood for the past month or so. We thought one was a juvenile as he came really close to the house and landed on the tops of the feeders and hunted the property behind our house that had just been cleared. We have seen both at the same time. Yesterday my husband found one, the juvenile we think, because of the size dead in the middle of the road and called everyone we could think of but no one cared or wanted the carcus. Being Saturday the health department is closed. There was no blood at the scene and could not tell if it was shot. Seems strange, wondering about bird flu, and why no one cares. Advice?

Hi LadyJayne,

Sorry to hear about that,

Do you think it could of been hit by a car or truck ?

I think the best you can do is call again on monday,maybe try to call your local wildlife place or vets if you need to,they might be able to give you some advice.

Maybe if no one takes an interest,the best thing would be to find a nice spot to leave or bury it,and let nature take its cause,give some nice critters a new lease of life.

Last edited:
I was reading an article the other day that owls often get 'sucked' under large vehicles as they pass. Perhaps a possibility in your case?

jc001 said:
Hi LadyJayne,

Sorry to hear about that,

Do you think it could of been hit by a car or truck ?

I think the best you can do is call again on monday,maybe try to call your local wildlife place or vets if you need to,they might be able to give you some advice.

Maybe if no one takes an interest,the best thing would be to find a nice spot to leave or bury it,and let nature take its cause,give some nice critters a new lease of life.

Could have but it didn't have any blood or look hit, I guess anything is possible?

CBB said:
I was reading an article the other day that owls often get 'sucked' under large vehicles as they pass. Perhaps a possibility in your case?

Maybe that happened, lack of blood an not being smashed up is puzzling.

LadyJayne said:
Maybe that happened, lack of blood an not being smashed up is puzzling.

Remember that internal damage doesn't always show up. My wife hit a pigeon the other week and we went to see if it was OK but it was just lying by the side of the road dead. It only looked like it was asleep. Either way, it's a real shame when it happens to such a beautiful bird.

Plenty of birds which are hit by vehicles don't show any blood or other external damage. I saw a Buzzard being hit by a truck a couple of weeks ago, and on looking at the dead bird it showed no signs of damage and no blood whatsoever. This is very often the case with roadkill birds I have found.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back