• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need a birding reserve in Hampshire? (1 Viewer)

Doug

I wonder if anyone can help - I am in Hampshire - near Basingstoke next weekend and have to take three non-birders birding and would like it to be a good experience. Are there any reserves you can recommend that have hides and/or some nice birds at this time of year? We have a car so can travel, any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Doug

Thanks for that link Richard - we will drive for an hour so we can cover many sights. I notice this site you mention also talks about Framlington Marshes? What is that like?

Hi Doug

You probably mean Farlington Marshes which is 40 odd miles south of Basingstoke very near to Portsmouth. Youll get to see plenty of waders, redshank, greenshank, whimbrel, curlew, little riged plover, green and common sandpipers etc with the chance of something rare turning up. There are plenty of terns about, common, sandwich and little maybe even black. Also very good chance of peregrine. Hope this helps.

martin

Hi Doug,
The New Forest may be worth a go:try Beaulieu Road Station for Dartford Warblers,Hobbies etc.though it may appear a bit birdless to non-birders(even seemed birdless at first glance to me when I went there!)
Harry H

If you want anymore info then let me know as I spend quite a bit of my time there. In fact Im off there in half an hour.

Matrin

I'd suggest Chichester Harbour / Thorney Island. Lots of Little Egrets there, and that is something that will impress the average non-birder

Dartford Warblers are lovely to the likes of us, but they're very much a 'birder's bird', to be honest searching for them on a summer day when they're not singing would bore most non-birders stiff.

Michael

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back