• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss 10x40B (1 Viewer)

oldfortyfive

I picked these up at a show recently. Really wanted them for display more than use. They work surprisingly well given their age, from around 1986. I had them outside today and was quite pleased with the view. Only issues I see is the close focus is about 25-30 feet. It's only about 1/2 turn for full focus. You need to be sure and only put your fingers on the focus half of the wheels so you don't change the diopter setting. I took the rubber eyepieces off and flipped them around so they would work better with my glasses. Eye relief is pretty good. Not sure the eye pieces are original.

Attachments

• 2018-04-22_21-25-25.jpg
    2018-04-22_21-25-25.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 2018-04-22_21-25-49.jpg
    2018-04-22_21-25-49.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 2018-04-22_21-26-07.jpg
    2018-04-22_21-26-07.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 89
  • 2018-04-22_21-26-23.jpg
    2018-04-22_21-26-23.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 94
Hi 45
Those look like Zeiss Jena Notarem 10x40 binos. Nice. I am not totally sure but it may be more correct to call these Zeiss Jena (Zeiss in the former East Germany) as opposed to Carl Zeiss (Zeiss in the former West Germany) whose Dialyt 10x40B was a competitor of the Notarem.

Lee

Actually stamped Carl Zeiss Jena just to add to the confusion. After doing a little more digging I believe you are correct, they are Notarem’s.

I have that exact binocular. Glass is decent by today's standard, nothing special IMO. The hinge on mine is very loose now. I never use them anyway.

Tom Selleck, I think, uses a West German Zeiss 10x40 T*P* in Jesse Stone.
The logo and coatings are visible.

Probably his own binocular, as I think that he is involved in production also.

It is one of the few T.V. shows where decent binoculars are used.
They are usually hideous red coated cheapies, which is daft for surveillance, or cheap Porroprism binoculars.

There was one British show where a Canon 10x30 IS was used when these were fairly new on the market.

Tom Selleck, I think, uses a West German Zeiss 10x40 T*P* in Jesse Stone.
The logo and coatings are visible.

Probably his own binocular, as I think that he is involved in production also.

It is one of the few T.V. shows where decent binoculars are used.
They are usually hideous red coated cheapies, which is daft for surveillance, or cheap Porroprism binoculars.

There was one British show where a Canon 10x30 IS was used when these were fairly new on the market.

Bushnells seem to feature quite often but they are easy to spot with the name on the end of the hinge.

Lee

Sometimes you will see a good pair pair of bins in entertainment. In Tom Clancy's movie "Clear and Present Danger", in the opening scene the US Coast Guard Crew on the bridge of their vessel is using a Canon 15X45 IS. It was a first generation IS from Canon.

Also, in that same movie, you will see Willem Dafoe viewing a House in Colombia with what I believe are a pair of those very small Nikon Porros, I believe they were 6X15s. They look like little jewels.

So sometimes you get to see some good stuff.

What does get me in a lot of these entertainment productions, is where you see somebody with what is a obviously a crap binocular a thousand yards away and they can tell the color of the subject's eyes.

But I really like the old Zeiss stuff. Classics.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back