• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (2 Viewers)

Phil...yer 'stuff' is a joy to behold...as everyone has commented on in their own way..:t:

ps.....i only wanna comment myself on that hoopoe picture...having just been gobsmacked...what an incredible 'attitude' you bring to the subject thru your fingers...love it..!

superb stuff - those glossies need to be finished indeed - each bird works individually, but now you just need to tie them all up into the picture.

Hoopoe in Barcelona? Don't tell her I saw one in Parc Güell! Fascinating hoopoe posture - they never look like that when I see them hoopoe-ing - they always look like distant trees without a hoopoe in sight.

Would love to see one, hoopoe-ing or otherwise!

Mike

I'm with you on this one. I have only seen two. One in Botswana ( the african variety) and one on Exmouth sea front in bounding flight above non the wiser sunday walkers. Both Fleeting encounters of a bird I long to have a better view of.

The Picture is wonderful Phil

Thank you to you all.

Colleen, yes I have further Hoopoes up my sleeve. More later! ;)

User, "attitude" I am learning from you! :cat: If you can avoid portraying a bird as a bird? but give it its individuality? As a personality, an individual, in its own right? That is something to be explored! And, something, through this thread, I hope to persue. Etymology. Behaviour. Quirks, and "individual traits." Interesting in the extreme...:cat:

Nick, you're right about "Les Falcinelles!" My partner bringeth back the painting today. She was in the actual park you spoke of" Oh dear! Now I'm in big trouble! Merci, mon ami!! :-C
She got loads of Monk Parakeets nesting in the Date-Palms there. So, I should be okay! ;) Bagged a singing male Serin on a vineyard tour, and was swamped by Red Kites on the M4 to London. So, I might get away with this! ;)

Neil, thanx 4 the PM. Will reply.

Woody, Europe my friend! The further South the better! Bird to see before you go from this realm! Would love to see your sketches when you do!

Andrew, I bagged one in the UK. Chew Valley Lake, Herriot's Pool, North Somerset, UK. Was scanning with 'scope across the pool for distant ducks. This "giant butterfly" registered in my "vision field" as it swooped across the water. To eventually alight under some trees on the far side.
A local "patch expert" turned up, and I broke the news. I had to lead him to the exact place where it had dropped. Despite searching. No result.
(Hoopoes can disappear without trace, despite their gaudy coloration!)

I sensed that I was not being believed.

We got back to where I was originally.

His eyes said "stringer".

Then 2 lads approached us, and said,

"Did you see it?"

He said,

"See what?"

They said,

"While you two were talking a Hoopoe flew over the reed-bed behind you..."

They seemed quite exicited. ;)

Ken, you simply must come to Europe!

Tim, do i really have to re-visit a million Lappys? :-O

B :)

Attachments

• bialowieska pastel.jpg
    bialowieska pastel.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
That last one was "Untitled..."

In Eastern Poland in May 2004 I had the privelage of visiting Puszcza Bialowieska. The only relict example of primeval forest still extant in Europe. Most of it is in Belarus...

The White-Backed Woodpeckers, Black Stork and Red-Breasted Flycatchers were nice .

At the end of the walk, we arrived here. A wooden cross wrapped with barbed wire.
You may see it in this pastel piece?

This was a mass grave. A Nazi execution site.

Many forests in Poland have some monument in such a place.

This was the most basic I'd seen.

And, in essence, therefore, the most powerful...

It does have a title...

"Barbed-Wire Wound Cross, Bialowieska, Eastern Poland, May 2004."

Sobering stuff.

Back to birds.

One of my first Damascian sketches.

One of my Top 20 birds...

...A Little Gull! :cat:

Attachments

• Little Gull.jpg
    Little Gull.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 58
Your sketches continue to delight Phil....!

...and the Polish woodland scene you drew?...it just speaks for itself...wonderfully portrayed..!

Phil, I am getting the sense that your a man that has travelled quite widely in search of birds. I envy you that. The little Gull is a delight and the annotations lift it all the more for me.

The Bialowieska Forest piece is lovely Phil, really captures the essence, a magical place with some very tragic history, but definitely one of my favourite places.

the Polish forest is gorgeous, I really need to get to Poland at some point - I promised my old flatmates, students and colleagues I would. Maybe next year I should do Biebrza and Bialowieska. Anyone wanna come with??? Nie? Tak?

the Polish forest is gorgeous, I really need to get to Poland at some point - I promised my old flatmates, students and colleagues I would. Maybe next year I should do Biebrza and Bialowieska. Anyone wanna come with??? Nie? Tak?

You would not regret it, or would want to leave probably, dragged screaming and kicking away ;) Soooo much to inspire and draw, I reckon I could just spend a month in the forest let alone the marshes...

And the Bison Vodka's, well rather moorish (yes I know they were Arabic) ;)

Got any more forest work Phil?

Bison Vodka - hmm, Zubrowka brings back memories of convincing Polish peoples that I was Czech - or Slovakian, I don't remember, but apparently when I left at 6 am I left the fire exit wide open and they were never allowed overnight guests ever again. Very nice stuff with apple juice - na zdrowie!

Got any more forest work Phil?

Mark,

Just "inherited" my partner's laptop...

Can't yet marry the scanner up to it.

In the meantime. Some of the "very old trees..."

And the Level Crossing, where I saw my "Pierwsza Kotka". Displaying Green sands, Wrynecks, Roding Woodcock, Nightjar, Sprosser, Hoopoe....etc.

Attachments

• Puszcza B1.jpg
    Puszcza B1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Xroads Polska.jpg
    Xroads Polska.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
thanks for the links.....wow! what a sight it must be....and the call is mesmerizing.....You could never forget seeing one of these...do you have new ones?

Colleen,

The roughest sketches yet!

The Chew Hoopoe...:cat:

Attachments

• Hoopoe CVL 27.06 1.jpg
    Hoopoe CVL 27.06 1.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back