• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sleeping Oystercatcher - skeleton (2 Viewers)

we are lucky to have you on board

I saw your byline in the latest Bird Art & Photography mag. and thought good luck with the new direction- and now I get to say it in person

That's great Katrina, a very productive session!

I would recommend you put these on your other thread though, it's easier to keep a tabs and watch development rather than have lots of, and lose the little ones, if you know what I mean.

Gob-smacker!!!!!
Katrina, this makes me delerious with anticipation for the whole collection - when's the publication date?

You always say just the right things, Tim! Thanks. It's due out next Spring.

Thanks for the advice, Mark - I'll do that in future. I'm new to this game.

And thanks, Ed. Really nice to get positive feedback about my writing, too. Much appreciated.

Thank you also, Adam. See my other introductory thread and it will explain why I'm drawing skeletons.

Cheers,
Katrina

Very interesting & impressive. But tell me, in your projected book will the bones & other anatomical features be labeled in any way or will the illustrations be presented as purely esthetic objects with no explicit “educational” function? In either case, I’m very much looking forward to seeing your new book once it’s in print.

Good question. I wanted to avoid the text-book look of having labelled drawings, but the book will have an introductory first chapter that describes the various parts of a bird, then the successive chapters will describe how each family is anatomically adapted to its particular way of life. It's intended to bridge the gap between art and science, so the pictures will be presented for their aesthetic value, and the text will be accessible to the average layman with no jargon or scientific terminology. I hope that answers your question, and hasn't put you off buying the book!
Best wishes,
Katrina

Change of direction

I saw your byline in the latest Bird Art & Photography mag. and thought good luck with the new direction- and now I get to say it in person

Sorry, Ed, I realised afterwards that you meant the change of career back to being an artist again. Thanks. It was a bit of a forced move to be honest - curators in the zoology department aren't allowed to publish stuff in their spare time, so I had to make the heartbreaking choice between my lifetime's ambition - the book, and the coolest job in the world. Anyway, for whatever reason, it's good to be back doing what I do best. Thanks again.

Katrina

Many thanks to everyone for your kind comments. The idea for The Unfeathered Bird has been something of an obsession for me for over 20 years! The support of friends on Bird Forum could be just what I need over the coming six months as I trudge wearily towards the finishing line....
Katrina

Stunning artwork and very atmospheric. Mahé is captured beautifully. We are so lucky to have people on here like Katrina.

John

Good question. I wanted to avoid the text-book look of having labelled drawings, but the book will have an introductory first chapter that describes the various parts of a bird, then the successive chapters will describe how each family is anatomically adapted to its particular way of life. It's intended to bridge the gap between art and science, so the pictures will be presented for their aesthetic value, and the text will be accessible to the average layman with no jargon or scientific terminology. I hope that answers your question, and hasn't put you off buying the book!
Best wishes,
Katrina

Sounds like a great book Katrina! I suppose that like Tim's book it will have a 6-month delay before it's published over here........... But still worth the wait I'm sure.

Sounds like a great book Katrina! I suppose that like Tim's book it will have a 6-month delay before it's published over here........... But still worth the wait I'm sure.
Well - you may be in luck, Ken. Katrina's publisher is Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, USA - so they'll probably have stock your side just as soon as . . .

I just looked through your website. Absolutely stunning.

Katrina's work has always been outstanding...and long may it continue...!

The seascapes are unbelievably evocative...magnificent...moody...and with a distinctive ominous appeal.....!

Quality......:t:

Well - you may be in luck, Ken. Katrina's publisher is Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, USA - so they'll probably have stock your side just as soon as . . .

Thanks Tim. Now if you're publisher would just decide to collaborate with Princeton so that we could see your book ASAP...............

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back