• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Art Question (1 Viewer)

JTF

We were given a piece of wildlife art around 20 years ago approx as a gift but I have not idea if its real or even worth anything. The has a signature in the bottom Right corner Robert Bateman, see attached image. Its called Wolf Pack in Moonlight, I did a google but got alot of different prices not sure if its a copy or a limited edition.

Attachments

• Wolf Pack In Moonlight.jpg
    Wolf Pack In Moonlight.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 112
We were given a piece of wildlife art around 20 years ago approx as a gift but I have not idea if its real or even worth anything. The has a signature in the bottom Right corner Robert Bateman, see attached image. Its called Wolf Pack in Moonlight, I did a google but got alot of different prices not sure if its a copy or a limited edition.

If it's an original it must be worth a mint; if it's a reproduction, it's still a work of outstanding beauty!

Dave

I've been looking into Robert Bateman's work this morning inspired by the question of whether that one is an original or a copy. (I've never heard of the artist before, and now I'm a devoted fan of his.)

It appears that the question of originality in Bateman's case is quite a complex one, since copies of his works appear to be original prints. I didn't quite manage to figure how it works, but here's a link: http://www.robertbateman.ca/art/original/original1.html

I'm not sure if there's a way to confirm whether that's one of those limited edition original prints, or something "less" (I wonder if there are any other prints than such that are approved by Bateman himself), but it sure is beautiful. I'm a huge fan of wolves, so wouldn't mind one of those hanging on my wall, no matter how unoriginal or original a print it was. But maybe someone else knows more on the subject and has an idea on how to find out, what the "status" of that painting is.

Bateman is about as close to a superstar wildlife artist as you are going to get. My father in law (a naturalised Canadian citizen) queued for an age once just trying to meet the guy. This is a well known painting and I suspect what you have is a print produced by Bateman's publishers. It is not the type of print which Bateman refers to in the article, these are original prints from 'blocks' made by the artist then, after a limited print run, the block is destroyed which ensures that there can be no more prints made from it. Lithography ('writing' on stone) is a term which not only refers to this original print making process, but also to printing as we all know it in everyday applications. There are a plethora of new techniques from the 'digital age', chief among these for artists is the 'giclee' print. Publishers and artists like the technique because it doesn't use a regular pattern like litho print and, therefore, produces very subtle tones and blends. Publishers use both litho and giclee to produce limited edition prints. This type of print is generally a relatively short run and each print is individually checked, signed and numbered by the artist. At the very start of the run 'artist's proofs' are made which enables the artist to make any corrections to colour or spot any flaws before the main run is made. Thse are generally signed in pencil with the letters AP. The rest of the run is numbered sequentially as they come off the press, so 1/100, 2/100 etc. The lower numbered prints usually have a slightly higher value. This was based on the quality of the printing plate deteriorating over the course of the run, though how that applies to digital prints is difficult to fathom.

Robert Bateman is highly collected, particularly in his native Canada, so any print or work by him has a value. I'm sure that Bateman's publishers (Mill Pond Press) will be able to give you an accurate assesment of just what you have and I would suggest that they are the people to contact.

Of course the real value is that you have a beautiful picture by a wildlife art master that you can look at and enjoy any time.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back