• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus EM5 MkII or Panasonic G7? (1 Viewer)

Sandpiper

Mike Powell
Has anyone used either of the above cameras for digiscoping? If so, which lens do you use and are you pleased with the results?

I would be attaching it to a Swarovski ATS80HD scope via a DCA.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I use a G6 with the 20mm 1.7 (also with the ATS80HD) and the G7 or EM5 ii should work as well.
As for the lens, the 20mm 1.7 is a good candidate (the one used by Tara Tanaka for instance, with a GH4)
But the Olympus 25mm f1.8 is also a good one :
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=295068

And I just ordered a new Panasonic 25mm f1.7, not received yet, but should also work (to be tested).
Which I plan to use with a GM5 to make a very light combo at the end of the scope.
(and allow to have the G6 with the 100 300 on it in parallel)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, Alain. The link made interesting reading.

Please let me know your opinion of the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 once you have tested it.

Mike

I use an Olympus E-M1 which is pretty similar to the E-M5II, but I think the Panasonic G7 is probably very similar in performance and a good choice. Both these cameras have nice features for digiscoping such as bright articulating screens, electronic shutter and focus peaking. If I was buying a new camera only for digiscoping right now, I might choose the Panasonic G7 and save ~$300 compared to the E-M5II. If you anticipate using the camera for lots of other stuff besides digiscoping, then shop carefully because the E-M5II might have some features that could make it worth the extra money. The in-body image stabilization (IS) is pretty great on all the Olympus OM-D bodies, but that may or may not matter much to you. For digiscoping, it of limited value... They key with digiscoping is to nail the focus and eliminate all vibration. Focus peaking helps with the former and the electronic shutter with the latter.

Good luck!
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back