• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D3100 Teleconverter (1 Viewer)

Hughv

Where's that bird?
I've had the D3100 and Sigma 150-500 for about a year. I bought both with advice from this forum, and I'm very pleased: Many thanks.
I also have a Nikkor 70-300 which I'm not using at all, as it just didn't get close enough. It's been sitting in my bag for nearly a year.
My dilemma is whether I should sell it, or get a teleconverter (2x), and I'm finding the search very confusing.
Is there a teleconverter which will give me sharp images and AF? Manual focus would be OK if necessary.
Thanks.

The latest Nikkor teleconverters are excluded with the Nikkor 70-300. I don't know about the Kenko. Maybe sell the Nikkor zoom and use the funds to by a Sigma teleconverter?

I find the 70-300 to be a nice all-rounder, but with the Sigma 150-500 in your bag, it seems redundant for a birding setup.
Jim

I had a teleconvertor from Sigma on my 150-500 lens..it was fine, but took off two stops meaning most of the time I was shooting at f/13 (when you out at 1000mm) also manual focus only works well with ducks geese etc..not ideal for warblers...I would pass and just get closer to birds and crop in photoshop. Most of the images you see are taken with 300-500mm lenses they just get really close.

I've got a D3100/150-500mm set up too. I got a Sigma 2x teleconverter and it is worthless with the 150-500. Too soft, hard to focus, just all-round bad combination.

The Kenko Pro teleconverter will physically fit. Nikon teleconverters will not fit.

My experience with teleconverters on the 70-300 is that image quality is generally unacceptable unless everything is perfect - great light and good technique. And I've only used the Kenko 1.4 teleconverter. The 2.0 teleconverter will lose more light and image quality. I expect you will be forced to use manual focus and will be lucky to have enough light for an acceptably sharp image. I would not waste your money or time on a 2.0 teleconverter for either of your zooms. If you want to give it a shot, get the Kenkop Pro 1.4 teleconverter but only use it when you have plenty of light and can have shutter speeds of 1/800 or higher.

I do agree with the comments about the 70-300. While it is a good lens, you probably don't need it with the 150-500. I could see keeping the 70-300 for situations where you need something smaller than the 150-500.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back