• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which focus metering mode for Canon 5D Mark ll? (1 Viewer)

aaron1956

aaron1956
Which focus metering mode do you recommend for trying to shoot things like small birds in trees? I try to use spot metering when possible but sometimes that is impossible. Would you suggest partial metering, evaluative metering or center weight averaging when shooting birds that are hopping around in a tree top? I am using a EF 400mm Canon lens also.

I normally use partial metering and center point AF for small birds. If your subject is back-lit then you will need to over expose by a stop or maybe more to get feather detail - just make sure the sky isn't blown out.
Note I don't have a 5D2 but the principal is the same.

Last edited:
I also use partial metering for most bird shots, Not a 5D2 but as John says the principal is the same. The most important thing is to know how much exposure compensation to apply (if any) in any given situation. With bird photography the important thing is to get the bird correctly exposed, often at the expense of the background but that can most often be fixed in post processing.
At the end of the day there is no right or wrong way so long as the bird is well exposed out of the Camera - whatever works best for an individual is right for them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back