• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kamakura USA Customers (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
We have known some of this and guessed some of it too but it is nice to have it confirmed by the USA Imports website's sample shipment information (you can join as a company to get more info) that the following have imported binoculars from the Kamakura companies shown:

Kama Tech HK
Nikon, Celestron and Alpen

Kamakura Koki
Vortex, Orion and Bushnell

The site only allows you to see a sample of 3 shipments from each shipper free of charge, so that is why you only see 3 customers each for the Kamakura companies mentioned.

Lee

Last edited:
Are Kowa binoculars not sourced from Kamakura? I always assumed the.Genesis.was a Kowa/Kamakura produced pair of binos.

Sorry guys, somehow a whole line got missed off my post. I have inserted this now and you can see that the sample info you can get for free is only 3 shipments per shipper.

Lee

Are Kowa binoculars not sourced from Kamakura? I always assumed the.Genesis.was a Kowa/Kamakura produced pair of binos.

Hi Justin

I don't know the answer to that but I will say that the focuser on the Genesis 8x33 feels more 'precision-made' than any Kamakura I have tried and that is not at all to insult the Kamakuras. The Kowa feels as great as the Meopta MeoStar 8x32. Nor do I recall any Kamakura being as heavy as a Genesis 8x44 :-O

Lee

Last edited:
Lee, if Kamakura don't make the Genesis, who does? Light Optical, Shinsei, Kenko? By the way I have certainly tried many Kamakura samples with a focus at least as good as a Kowa or Meopta, (but a Zeiss Conquest wouldn't be one of them. ;) ) and equally heavy models.

David

Lee, if Kamakura don't make the Genesis, who does? Light Optical, Shinsei, Kenko? By the way I have certainly tried many Kamakura samples with a focus at least as good as a Kowa or Meopta, (but a Zeiss Conquest wouldn't be one of them. ;) ) and equally heavy models.

David

As a sample of one, my Conquest HD focus is superbly smooth and precise - so there.:t:

Kamakura made or not....

You will never get the Kamakura list. I do not know exactly why, but Kamakura has a policy to stay behind the scenes. I have heard this from several companies who deal with Kamakura. They do not particularly like to be known. I think it is mostly due to all of the ..."wah these are just another rebrander of junk", "they can't innovate", "they aren't European" comments that are rife here. The only reason I identified Kamakura in the first place when I did Maven reviews was because the early groans of rebranding of cheap Chinese clones had already started. I knew Kamakura was a capable, reputable supplier. Seems like very few others do. That surprised me. They are however known in the optics world. There is a reason why they build so much stuff for so many companies. They seem unwilling to broadcast the fact.

You will never get the Kamakura list. I do not know exactly why, but Kamakura has a policy to stay behind the scenes. I have heard this from several companies who deal with Kamakura. They do not particularly like to be known. I think it is mostly due to all of the ..."wah these are just another rebrander of junk", "they can't innovate", "they aren't European" comments that are rife here. The only reason I identified Kamakura in the first place when I did Maven reviews was because the early groans of rebranding of cheap Chinese clones had already started. I knew Kamakura was a capable, reputable supplier. Seems like very few others do. That surprised me. They are however known in the optics world. There is a reason why they build so much stuff for so many companies. They seem unwilling to broadcast the fact.

Seems a sensible strategy, build good stuff at a reasonable profit and let the marketers worry about advertising and support. Smart people imho.

I am sure it has little to do with Kamakura wanting to stay in the shadows and more that their customers want tight security on what they make themselves and what Kamakura make for them. This is normal in business and some companies that provide consulting services even divide their own company up into autonomous and physically separated teams so that the confidentiality demanded by their clients is maintained.

Lee

Last edited:
I doubt that. They look too much like the other Monarchs; specifically the Monarch 7 series which are made in China.

Bob I have no idea if Kamakura makes M7 but they do have a factory in China and Hong Kong as well as Japan.

Lee

Lee, if Kamakura don't make the Genesis, who does? Light Optical, Shinsei, Kenko?

David

Hi David, its a good point and you are probably right but on the other hand you would never get away with telling a judge "it must 'ave been the defendant what done it, cos I can't fink of anyone else, your honour". So who else is there? Meopta? Just joking. Some other Japanese maker of whom we have been unaware?

Lee

Lee,

Those are the four Japanese OEMs that I've heard mentioned with regard to current production but there may be others. It's a pretty secretive world. I believe Kowa has used Kamakura in the past but I don't know who builds the Genesis. I gather it's not uncommon to use different OEMs for different models in the range, or even for different objective sizes. The Genesis x33s and x44s look like quite different designs to me, so who knows?

I only know about about a relatively small number of examples for sure, but it's clear weight, focus smoothness or even price are no guide at all. I was very surprised when I was recently given examples of what Kenko, LOW and Kamakura actually make. I'm sure you would be too. ;)

David

Lee,

Those are the four Japanese OEMs that I've heard mentioned with regard to current production but there may be others. It's a pretty secretive world. I believe Kowa has used Kamakura in the past but I don't know who builds the Genesis. I gather it's not uncommon to use different OEMs for different models in the range, or even for different objective sizes. The Genesis x33s and x44s look like quite different designs to me, so who knows?

I only know about about a relatively small number of examples for sure, but it's clear weight, focus smoothness or even price are no guide at all. I was very surprised when I was recently given examples of what Kenko, LOW and Kamakura actually make. I'm sure you would be too. ;)

David

Interesting stuff David and considering that some OEM customers will design their own focus systems while others maybe ask for modifications (like gearing speed) and still others just take what the OEM has to offer, yes, I am sure you are correct that focus feel is nothing to go on.

Other Asian producers I have come across are:
Sanju
CPC
Guangzhou Jinghua
Guangzhou Bosma Corp
KUNMING SHUNHO OPTICS CO
FOSHAN CITY
SUPERIOR OPTICS COMPANY
SCOPRO OPTICAL CO INC

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back