Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Questions about the Swaro doubler

Old Saturday 12th May 2018, 18:05   #1
DCC74

Questions about the Swaro doubler

Grabbed a new SLC 15x56, mainly for stargazing and such, but of course viewing animals as well. I expect great things from all Ive read and having owned other Swarovski products.

So the doubler: anyone use it for peeping planets and such? You like the view? Is it a universal fit on EL, SLC and their various iterations? It seems hard to find info, as it appears to be discontinued.

Thanks.
Old Saturday 12th May 2018, 20:18   #2
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC74 View Post
Grabbed a new SLC 15x56, mainly for stargazing and such, but of course viewing animals as well. I expect great things from all Ive read and having owned other Swarovski products.

So the doubler: anyone use it for peeping planets and such? You like the view? Is it a universal fit on EL, SLC and their various iterations? It seems hard to find info, as it appears to be discontinued.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it is discontinued. At least I haven't seen it listed as an accessory. Maybe Swaro has an adapter that will fit your 15x56? It would make a useful 30x56 hand held telescope. (Make that two hands held telescope ).

I have the Swarovski "Doubler." It is called a "Booster" on the box. It came with adapters for a 10x42 SLC and the EL 32mm binoculars. It screws directly onto my 7x42 SLC B without the need of an adapter after removing the eye piece.

It makes the 7x42 a pretty good 14x42 with a 3mm exit pupil which I have used like a telescope on birds and the moon. The FOV is correspondingly smaller. It would be nice if I had a 10x42 to go with it.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Saturday 12th May 2018 at 20:48.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th May 2018, 12:38   #3
proudpapa56
Where'd you go, stay put!
BF Supporter 2018

The Swarovski Doubler / Booster won't fit / work with a new 15x56.

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th May 2018, 13:49   #4
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Any idea if they will make a new doubler for the SLC series, like Meopta has for their B1.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th May 2018, 16:13   #5
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Any idea if they will make a new doubler for the SLC series, like Meopta has for their B1.

Andy W.

They have a bunch of accessories, mostly for clothing and cell phones. There is also a knife and a wrist watch but there are no optical boosters for binoculars. There is a 1.7X for the scopes which is only available in Europe.

I have no idea if they will make new ones.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th May 2018, 17:50   #6
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Thanks Bob, It would have been nice to double the mag of 15X56 SLC, more out of curiosity, but the views of the sky at night are awesome as is. This is truly an extremely great instrument, for viewing both day and night.

Andy W.

Old Monday 14th May 2018, 10:51   #7
ticl2184

You can still buy them on the ebay.....
They can be made to fit the SV model....Not to sure about the SLC though.....I had a booster last year....But sold it through lack of use....

If you do manage to make it fit your find there will be quite of bit of chromatic aberation though .....And there really tricky to hold and balance even on a tripod ....Plus a really narrow fov....

Cheers
Tim
Old Monday 14th May 2018, 13:53   #8
henry link

Quote:

Andy W.
There are several other boosters on the market (Zeiss, Opticron, Vortex) which have the advantage of being press-fits either into or around the binocular eyecup. They have adapters of different diameters, but I've found DIY ways to fit my Zeiss and Bushnell boosters to most binoculars and spotting scopes, something that can't be done with the screw-on Swarovski booster.

The limiting factor for resolution and image quality with any decent phase corrected booster will be the optics of the binocular. Optically speaking, the booster has an easy job as a 2-3x monocular with its entrance pupil restricted by the binocular's exit pupil. It's the binoculars that are challenged in these combinations, since they are being pushed toward their limits with their full aperture aberrations fully exposed.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Monday 14th May 2018 at 14:06.
Old Monday 14th May 2018, 14:09   #9
DCC74

Quote:
Thanks Bob, It would have been nice to double the mag of 15X56 SLC, more out of curiosity, but the views of the sky at night are awesome as is. This is truly an extremely great instrument, for viewing both day and night.

Andy W.
Thanks for the firsthand input. May not even "need" the doubler, especially if it actually degrades the quality of the view, in spite of a bit of a magnification boost.

I recall being able to see the moons of Jupiter with my new 10x50 SLC I had back in about 2001, so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this bino. Should be even better.
Old Monday 14th May 2018, 14:10   #10
DCC74

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpapa56 View Post
The Swarovski Doubler / Booster won't fit / work with a new 15x56.
I kind of thought that may be the case, but thanks for the confirmation. From reading the other posts here, it appears I may not be missing all that much.
Old Monday 14th May 2018, 17:19   #11
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
There are several other boosters on the market (Zeiss, Opticron, Vortex) which have the advantage of being press-fits either into or around the binocular eyecup. They have adapters of different diameters, but I've found DIY ways to fit my Zeiss and Bushnell boosters to most binoculars and spotting scopes, something that can't be done with the screw-on Swarovski booster.

The limiting factor for resolution and image quality with any decent phase corrected booster will be the optics of the binocular. Optically speaking, the booster has an easy job as a 2-3x monocular with its entrance pupil restricted by the binocular's exit pupil. It's the binoculars that are challenged in these combinations, since they are being pushed toward their limits with their full aperture aberrations fully exposed.

Henry
Henry,

Thanks for the reality check, looks like I will have to DIY also, in my case I wanted to use the booster to check the optics on a binocular in this case the SLC 15X56, but I also wanted to check an FL 10X56, perhaps I can find one for the Zeiss and find a way to adapt it on to the SLC, I can get an extra eyecup for the SLC and perform surgery on that.

Andy W.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: