• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap convertors on e-bay (1 Viewer)

TrevorC

Does anybody have any experience of the Hong Kong supplied teleconvertors for ultra zoom compact digitals that are always advertised on e-bay at ludicrously cheap prices.

A 2.0X TELEPHOTO LENS KONICA MINOLTA DIMAGE Z3 Z5 Z6 TELE is £25.25

see

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-0X-TELEPHOTO-LENS-KONICA-MINOLTA-DIMAGE-Z3-Z5-Z6 TELE_W0QQitemZ7602132927QQcategoryZ30070QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a Minolta Z3 but they can be bought for just about any camera.

I fully expect a response that tells me of course it's rubbish and I'm naive for thinking that bit could be anything else at that price but on the other side there is a slight chance thjat someone might say it's a bargain, snap it up.

It doesn't have to be brilliant I would be more than happy if it if produced results that were an improvement on using the digital zoom which I currently use for record shots. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Trevor

I have heard that they are not that great. I am guessing you get what you pay for with optics.

Alex

TrevorC said:
Does anybody have any experience of the Hong Kong supplied teleconvertors for ultra zoom compact digitals that are always advertised on e-bay at ludicrously cheap prices.

see

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-0X-TELEPHOTO-LENS-KONICA-MINOLTA-DIMAGE-Z3-Z5-Z6 TELE_W0QQitemZ7602132927QQcategoryZ30070QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I fully expect a response that tells me of course it's rubbish and I'm naive for thinking that bit could be anything else at that price but on the other side there is a slight chance thjat someone might say it's a bargain, snap it up.

It doesn't have to be brilliant I would be more than happy if it if produced results that were an improvement on using the digital zoom which I currently use for record shots. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Trevor

From what I've seen, the 1.7x magnification of the Olympus TCON-17 is about the limit for good results (discounting the enormous and enormously expensive TCON-300 which does OK on the E10 and E20). So like Alex I'd be a bit sceptical. Looks nice in black though unlike those infamous silver Tiffen converters.

The adaptor for your camera has a 52mm filter thread which would accept the 1.5X Ricoh TC-200M converter without having to bother finding a stepping ring :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=15336559

A 1.5x converter can seem a bit of a letdown after the big zoom you are used to on your camera. Still at least this converter is small, light and pretty cheap. Here's a current Ebay auction. Have seen 'em go for less :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ancien-teleco...goryZ707QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have read that Kenko teleconverters (a regular brand sold at Adorama, etc) give only fair results (not sharp enough). I kind of assume that these Ebay cheapo ones are similar or worse. This is one reason why the Olympus TCON-17 is so popular - great results at a reasonable price.

RAH said:
I have read that Kenko teleconverters (a regular brand sold at Adorama, etc) give only fair results (not sharp enough). I kind of assume that these Ebay cheapo ones are similar or worse. This is one reason why the Olympus TCON-17 is so popular - great results at a reasonable price.
I use a Kenko x2 ( 37mm thread ) on my A95. Its good. on my Sony comcorder (using a 25-37mm converter ) it also works well converting the x10 to 20!.

Alan

Fair comment Alan. Maybe it's a bit easier to make a good littl'un :h?:
Recall the Eagleeye Opticzoom is an excellent 5x converter on the wee Nikon 4500 lens but presumably would vignette badly on the current crop of "superzoom" cameras.

alan_rymer said:
I use a Kenko x2 ( 37mm thread ) on my A95. Its good. on my Sony comcorder (using a 25-37mm converter ) it also works well converting the x10 to 20!.

Alan
Alan,
That's interesting. Would you say that the sharpness is close to the lens without it? If so, it's definitely got my attention. I mean, 2x is better than the TCON-17's 1.7, and I'll take all the magnification I can get!

Oh wait - I just reread your posting - 37mm is way too small for my super-zoom. Oh well...

Last edited:
RAH,
Just a suggestion, but I'd go for the "known" performance. I used prosumers for years and I haven't seen many happy 2X TC users. As mentioned, the TCONs have always worked very well (TCON17, 14B and the B300). Sure, most people would rather have 2X than 1.4X or 1.7X. Don't you find it odd that the Kenko 2X TC has been around just as long yet not many use it?

Like Raynox, Crystal Vision, any TC using the word Titanium and other "off" brands, you'll most likely get what you pay for :-(

Steve

Yeah, I think that is good advice, Steve. Guess I'll have to make do with the 620mm or so I get with my Oly C-750 and the Tcon17. Considering the fact that I would have KILLED for this much magnification back in the old days with a film SLR, I guess I shouldn't complain!

Best advice I could ever give you is STAY AWAY from anything by Digital Optix , Mercury Optix , Opteka or anything cheaper than 100 dollars for that matter , unless of course it's a 2nd hand decent lens.
I bought an Opteka 1.7 x Teleconvertor from Ebay and every single shot came out blurry - WITH a Tripod !

I soon returned it and bought a TCON17 - I've never looked back.

Thanks very much for everybody's feedback esp Nicovitch who supports the you only get what you pay for theory with facts. I'd like a TCON17 having read the comments but the problem I have is that I only paid £150 for the camera so is it really worth paying nearly as much for a convertor or would the money be better spent buying a better camera. Maybe I should just be grateful for what I've got.

Trevor

nikovich said:
Best advice I could ever give you is STAY AWAY from anything by Digital Optix , Mercury Optix , Opteka or anything cheaper than 100 dollars for that matter , unless of course it's a 2nd hand decent lens.
I bought an Opteka 1.7 x Teleconvertor from Ebay and every single shot came out blurry - WITH a Tripod !

Trevor,
Although the TCON17 can be used on a number of fixed lens cameras, you have a valid point about whether your money would be better spent upgrading your camera.

Saving up for a camera that will hold you over for the next couple of years might be the wisest course of action.

Steve

TrevorC said:
Thanks very much for everybody's feedback esp Nicovitch who supports the you only get what you pay for theory with facts.
Trevor

That's right. But remember it's mugs like Nikovich who keep those guys in business 3:) Only kidding yer Nick (time for a sharp exit...)

nikovich said:

I agree Ive been using a Tcon 17 for a few mths now and cant fault it..10 out of 10.....
Here's a cpl of photos I've got using it with a Fuji S5500..

Attachments

• 4619kestrel1.jpg
    4619kestrel1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 4619turnstone.jpg
    4619turnstone.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
TrevorC said:

see

Trevor
Trevor,
It depends on what you use your photo's for ie if they are just for yourself/family personal use then they are fine. but if you are a pro and need super dooper ultra fine detail then don't bother. I have used one for a few years now and although i am not a pro i have won plenty of national photo competitions using it!! (including a Nikon digital SLR which i sold and kept my trusty Fuji S7000 + assortment of cheapo lenses)
There's too much Camera snobbery at the moment, the magazines claim if you don't use the latest Digi SLR with £1000's of IS lenses then your photo's won't stand a chance! well like i say i have proved this theory wrong on many occasions.
What people should remember is in the 1940's 50's 60's etc photographers were using primitive cameras that weren't a patch on the gear we have now (even a compact digital camera) and they are still to this day rated as being works of art, its all to do with technique and developing an eye for a great composition.
Your best bet is to buy one play around with it and see if your happy with the results (if your happy then that's all that matters)
Cheers
Brian
Ps forgot to mention i entered a photo into a major photography magazine and told them i'd used a Canon digital SLR they raved about it! saying fantastic detail etc only thing is i used a Fuji compact 2mp camera! Nuff said?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back