• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Patch, Caergwrle. (1 Viewer)

Great day yesterday, for year ticks anyway. owing to an extremely rare conluence of events I had a good chunk of the afternoon to myself, at home and with fine, calm weather. So I sat in the garden with a book ("I, Partidge: we need to talk about Alan"), half reading and half scanning around. And the fruits of this endeavour? A fly-by Red Kite and a visit by a Spotted Flycatcher! Ace!

James

Gosh, been a while! It's been pretty quiet is why, but here are the highlights of the last 4 months, and few and far between they have been. A heard only Green Woodpecker on 29th July; a tatty looking Red Kite over on 19th August; and handful of Hobby sightings, last on 17th September; a Tawny Owl calling on 21st September (year tick, and high time too); Redwings turning up since early October; 4 Meadow Pipits over on 9th October (another year tick); a few Goosander records this month; a Fieldfare over on 17th November.

And then, after failing dismally two winters ago, five Waxwings over early yesterday afternoon! Woo-hoo! First garden tick in over 2 years, such a relief.

James

Last edited:
Goodness, no updates for nearly 5 months? Well, nothing spectacular yet this year, a couple of Lapwing at the back end of January, and a Pheasant calling from across the river for the past couple of weeks. Summer migrants have been slow to arrive; didn't get Chiffchaff till April! A big arrival kicked in on Monday with the first Swallows, Blackcaps, Willow Warblers, House Martins & Sand Martins all putting in their first 2013 appearances. In the heavy snow one of the big willows behind the house came down, which opens up a bit more of a view, which could prove helpful.

More soon, hopefully!

James

The Snow, and our local pale female Buzzard (pic taken from the back door).

James

Attachments

• DSCN2955.JPG
    DSCN2955.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3078.JPG
    DSCN3078.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 53
A good few days, with Swift & Lesser Redpoll (a bit of a garden rarity) on Sunday and a distant Lapwing and a Peregrine over yesterday.

James

Attachments

• DSCN3104.JPG
    DSCN3104.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back