• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows 10...no Office......how to open word documents ? (1 Viewer)

Right.............I will try that but do wonder..............why would they ask me to select my OS it will work on either.
Thanks

David, I am thinking much like Delia that the other options are for Linux and other operating systems that you may not even have heard about. That is why the choice is Windows.exe and not for example Win10.exe

Some of the expensive sites have automatic download detectors that detect your OS, but for a free site, the price you pay is to have to make that choice yourself ;)

Niels

I'm not too sure what you're asking David. The drop downs are to ensure you get the right download for your system.

I presume you're using Windows 10 and not something different, such as Linux?
Again I must be showing my ignorance. I don't know what EXE is/means. I assumed it was an OS like Windows 7/8/10 etc. So I was hesitant as the drop down didn't show windows 10.
I will go with that..............many thanks.

I'll probably not explain this very well David. But EXE is simply a file extension name....

.exe

Which your system looks for and knows that it is a programme that can be run on your computer.

I think that in this case exe means that you will download executable setup files, which is just what you need (not the other option which is the source code). It is Windows only, because all the Windows versions have the same download, which is normal. Often there are separate downloads for 32 and 64 bit systems, but not in this case. OpenOffice executable setup files come from Sourceforge.net - be sure to read through all options when installing and uncheck all you do not need (browser extensions and such).

Jalid is right, you need an .exe file to install the software on your PC. Normally it´s just download eg. OpenOffice.exe and then double click on the file. This starts the installation of the software. Be sure to remember the folder where are your downloaded files stored. I have mine allways on the desktop and move them after the installation into a folder named "installation files".
Dont know which browser you´re using but in Firefox you can also click on the arrow symbol (= actuall downloads at the top right) to start the installation from the download list of the browser.

David, I am thinking much like Delia that the other options are for Linux and other operating systems that you may not even have heard about. That is why the choice is Windows.exe and not for example Win10.exe

Some of the expensive sites have automatic download detectors that detect your OS, but for a free site, the price you pay is to have to make that choice yourself ;)

Niels

Jalid is right, you need an .exe file to install the software on your PC. Normally it´s just download eg. OpenOffice.exe and then double click on the file. This starts the installation of the software. Be sure to remember the folder where are your downloaded files stored. I have mine allways on the desktop and move them after the installation into a folder named "installation files".
Dont know which browser you´re using but in Firefox you can also click on the arrow symbol (= actuall downloads at the top right) to start the installation from the download list of the browser.
Thanks to all.
Finding things I have downloaded is really a problem as I can never see a choice of where they go. I only have "Edge" at the moment so I have no idea what it will do with them:eek!:

I think that in this case exe means that you will download executable setup files, which is just what you need (not the other option which is the source code). It is Windows only, because all the Windows versions have the same download, which is normal. Often there are separate downloads for 32 and 64 bit systems, but not in this case. OpenOffice executable setup files come from Sourceforge.net - be sure to read through all options when installing and uncheck all you do not need (browser extensions and such).
Many thanks.
TBH.........that last part may be a problem as I don't know what I do or don't need and have no idea what a browser extension is.
I may revert back to my quill and parchment.........the worst that happened is running out of ink8-P

Thanks to all.
Finding things I have downloaded is really a problem as I can never see a choice of where they go. I only have "Edge" at the moment so I have no idea what it will do with them:eek!:

Silly boy... you should have used a browser you're used to!;)

Try this, see if it helps

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6215-mircosoft-edge-downloads-view-windows-10-a.html

or maybe this one

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/getstarted-get-to-know-microsoft-edge

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back