• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 8x36 or EX 7x35 Help! (1 Viewer)

67er

Guys,

Nice forum!

First post here and need help in deciding between the 2. Speaking of durability and brightness, which one should I go for?

Regards,
YH

Not sure at all. You could maybe throw in Nikon EX 8x40 as well, as it is certainly not dim, and FOV is pretty good.

I don't have anything on hand to compare the two, but I am sure someone here has both. Or had.

Brightness would favor the Action EX because of the porro design and larger exit pupil. However, the sweet spot of image in focus across the field of view is much larger on the Monarch model. The Monarch model is also more compact. Durability would be a toss up in my opinion. I have owned both and cannot say one is/was more durable than the other.

FrankD said:
Brightness would favor the Action EX because of the porro design and larger exit pupil. However, the sweet spot of image in focus across the field of view is much larger on the Monarch model. The Monarch model is also more compact. Durability would be a toss up in my opinion. I have owned both and cannot say one is/was more durable than the other.

Thanks guys!

As you may know, FOV is the reason I narrowed my choices to these 2. The reason I choose Nikon is because of the price and good aftersales service. I actually tried both on Sunday and leaning towards the Action EX for brightness and Frank confirmed my amateurish view. Only problems are the size and weight. Well for half the price of Monarch I think it is a no brainer. Can polarisers filter be used on the EX? I thought I saw threads on both 35 lenses.

So what should I do with the spare cash? Can I get an el cheapo Nikon compact in the range of 8x25-36? If so which do you recommend? I was thinking of Sportstar IV 8X25.

Thanks in advance.... :bounce:

Last edited:
Sportstar OK at 8x, really bad at 10x. Many others are worse. I found a Celestron 8x25 that was the worst of all. You really are not going to find anything super for 60-70 dollars. Pentax DCF 8x25 was pretty good, it runs over 100.

SoutFork liked the 8x28 Bushnells, about 100 bucks, and supposed to be phase coated.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=59357
Not the most compact, but they will fit in a pocket.

Tero said:
Sportstar OK at 8x, really bad at 10x. Many others are worse. I found a Celestron 8x25 that was the worst of all. You really are not going to find anything super for 60-70 dollars. Pentax DCF 8x25 was pretty good, it runs over 100.

SoutFork liked the 8x28 Bushnells, about 100 bucks, and supposed to be phase coated.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=59357
Not the most compact, but they will fit in a pocket.

Hi Tero,

Thanks for the info and glad I am here! Just wondering what is the size like? 5 x 5"

I have spoken to the Singapore distributor and glad that he is getting this in soon. I think I should wait for a couple of months...

Cheers!

Sout Fork said:
BUSHNELL EXCURSION 8X28
Power x Obj. Dia. 8x28
Field of View 417 ft. at 1000 yds
Exit Pupil 3.5 mm
Eye Relief 15 mm
Dimensions 4.5h X 3.75w inches
Close Focus 6 ft.
Weight 15.2 oz.
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Nitrogen Purged
Prism Material Exotic Phase-coated BaK-4
Coatings Fully Multi-coated
Armoring Rubber
Eye Cups Twist-up
Design Type Roof Prism
If you look at his picture, you can see the size, roughly. Because of the one hinge, which I like, it does not fold as small as double hinged models.

Tero said:
If you look at his picture, you can see the size, roughly. Because of the one hinge, which I like, it does not fold as small as double hinged models.

So what's the upside about one hinge against 2? Sorry for the funny question but I am geniunely a bins idiot ;)

Well, they wear, for one. Once they get loose, you have two hinges to worry about to get them to stay put for your eyes. And one hinge is faster to fold out, like big binoculars. My 8x40 porros I almost never adjust the hinge, they are set for me and stay that way in the case as well.

I do have some 8x25s with two hinges. I have to fold both to get it in the case that hangs on the belt. But those hinges will wear out.

Tero said:
Well, they wear, for one. Once they get loose, you have two hinges to worry about to get them to stay put for your eyes. And one hinge is faster to fold out, like big binoculars. My 8x40 porros I almost never adjust the hinge, they are set for me and stay that way in the case as well.

I do have some 8x25s with two hinges. I have to fold both to get it in the case that hangs on the belt. But those hinges will wear out.

I see...thanks

I was thinking of Sportstar IV 8X25.

I have not tried the newest versions of the Sportstars but I do own a pair of the Sportstar IIIs (still in production under the Team Realtree Compact 8x25) and I believe a remodeled "Nikon Trailblazer" also mirrors its specs. Great little bins in my opinion. At the $70 price point the field of view is unusually flat and wide plus the image is fairly sharp considering we are talking about an unphasecoated roof prism bin. The only downside is the eye relief on the Sportstar III...10 mm. The new IV model fixes that issue somewhat with a 15 mm eye relief level however the field of view is compromised.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back