• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Northumberland Honey Buzzard" on video (1 Viewer)

Nick Rossiter said:
Well that might be one of the purposes. So that different categories are assigned to claimed sites, depending on the evidence. Welsh sites, complete with ringing data, would be worth more than Northumbrian ones without. Maybe the Northumbrian Ringing Group should be recruited to increase my point score! As long as they can climb 100 feet to the nests!

Why don't you invite a group of local birders to one of your HB nest sites and let them see these birds in the field instead of relying on poor quality photos? Perhaps then we can clear this up once and for all, if you're prepared to take other peoples id on board of course.

with the greatest of respect Nick, it would seem wise to accrue the evidence required to be universally accepted, without contention ... as there clearly is ..

Franky70 said:
Why don't you invite a group of local birders to one of your HB nest sites and let them see these birds in the field instead of relying on poor quality photos? Perhaps then we can clear this up once and for all, if you're prepared to take other peoples id on board of course.
As i understand it, Nick has been offered the chance to have someone independently check things out, but for reasons best known to himself refuses the offers. I dont have an axe to grind with Nick but it is hard work trying to deal with this situation as he steadfastly refuses to accept what the majority of people are saying about his Honeys, namely that nearly all of them are Commons. Nick, if you take Franky up on his offer you will at least be showing that you are willing to try and put this to bed

London Birder said:
with the greatest of respect Nick, it would seem wise to accrue the evidence required to be universally accepted, without contention ... as there clearly is ..
I agree, the figures that Nick quotes for young fledged last season are a signifigant percentage of the UK totals. Yet he would have us believe that he can find six nests yet manages to see these other juveniles up and flying around for fun to bump up his total. It is my experience that post fledging young Honeys spend most of their time below the canopy. If he found six nests then surely there is some photograpic or video evidence. Or doesnt he check the nests? If this is the case then whats the point in having a license to check nests, better off sharing the info with people who can climb them to weigh and measure the clutches and juveniles.If this is done and there are the number of Honeys there that Nick claims then i will be the first to offer my appologies, but i wont be holding my breath

just read this whole thread and i cannot belive this debate has gone on for 2 years!!! from what i can make out none of the honey buzzard or hobby claims from northumberland look real,ALL birders make mistakes but only the good ones can admit to them.the length nick has gone to on his website is amazing.
i dont know if he is trying convince the rest of the world or himself!

sonic said:
just read this whole thread and i cannot belive this debate has gone on for 2 years!!! from what i can make out none of the honey buzzard or hobby claims from northumberland look real,ALL birders make mistakes but only the good ones can admit to them.the length nick has gone to on his website is amazing.
i dont know if he is trying convince the rest of the world or himself!
Hi Sonic, it has gone on a while, its not even a debate. What Nick has are a load of common buzzards, he's been told that by any number of people who work on Honeys and know what they look like, but he just wont be told. These birds are hard to find and you spend days and days trying to get an angle on them, yet if you look at Nicks website it would appear he only has to walk in a wood and there's a Honey. We do that in the local woods down here and we see Northumberland Honeys everywhere too, the only difference is we call them what they are COMMON BUZZARDS 3:)

valley boy said:
I can get someone to climb the nests, hell i'll even do it myself. You actually ring the birds on the ground Nick , makes it easier to weigh and measure them as well as putting on the ring.Im sure if you wanted a ringer to come ring Honeys then it would be arranged . Bet there are loads of ringers up your way be longing to get to ring a Honey.

That is what I want. Somebody to climb the trees and ring a few nestlings. Any offers?

Been coming on this forum now for quite a few months & this thread is by far the most interesting & sometimes very amusing.

I have read all the posts & find it amazing peoples different opinions on whether it is or it isn't etc.

Great to read & as I say more interesting than most threads............................

KEEP IT COMING.........................................................Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well unfortunately I know a lot less than you lot so I cannot even attempt a guess.

IT takes me all my time to differentiate a Male GE from a Female at times.

I just find it amazing that the knowledge people have on here that people still are not 100% sure,I would like to stick with the HB only because of where I am from but reading a ll the posts I get the feeling it's more than likely a CB.

Mind you that's just the feeling you get from an independant point of view after reading what people have had to say.

Still great reading though...............

MSA said:
Maybe they're all hybrids!

Apologies if this has been suggested before.
NO.
They are a most distinct subspecies of Honey Buzzard endemic to the dense Taiga forests of Northumbria:

Pernis apivorus buteo-simulans

Not too much is yet known about them but it seems that they are medium-sized broad-winged brownish raptors that appear brown or even dark brown at any distance. The absence of any specific diagnostic features is diagnostic.
The characteristic call is a loud shrill far-carrying 'sheeeeeeareer' & it is believed that they have a rather catholic diet which includes priests, bishops & the occasional cardinal. They are however mainly insectivorous feeding on the larvae of social wasps & the maggots of Blue-bottles, Green-bottles & Newcastle-brown bottles.
Breeding biology remains uncertain but it is thought that this is a rather fecund subspecies having 2-3 broods per year.
Wintering grounds are unknown but extrapolating from Roy Dennis's satellite tracking studies of the nominate subspecies in Scotland it is postulated that young birds migrate south-west across the atlantic to wintering grounds on Monserrat & adjacent carribean islands.

.............. or maybe they are all just Common Buzzards.

Steve G said:
NO.
They are a most distinct subspecies of Honey Buzzard endemic to the dense Taiga forests of Northumbria:

Pernis apivorus buteo-simulans

Not too much is yet known about them but it seems that they are medium-sized broad-winged brownish raptors that appear brown or even dark brown at any distance. The absence of any specific diagnostic features is diagnostic.
The characteristic call is a loud shrill far-carrying 'sheeeeeeareer' & it is believed that they have a rather catholic diet which includes priests, bishops & the occasional cardinal. They are however mainly insectivorous feeding on the larvae of social wasps & the maggots of Blue-bottles, Green-bottles & Newcastle-brown bottles.
Breeding biology remains uncertain but it is thought that this is a rather fecund subspecies having 2-3 broods per year.
Wintering grounds are unknown but extrapolating from Roy Dennis's satellite tracking studies of the nominate subspecies in Scotland it is postulated that young birds migrate south-west across the atlantic to wintering grounds on Monserrat & adjacent carribean islands.

.............. or maybe they are all just Common Buzzards.

FANTASTIC........................................

theshark said:
Been coming on this forum now for quite a few months & this thread is by far the most interesting & sometimes very amusing.

I have read all the posts & find it amazing peoples different opinions on whether it is or it isn't etc.

Great to read & as I say more interesting than most threads............................

KEEP IT COMING.........................................................Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never mind deciding on the odd photo, trawl through his website and read the figures for fledged young and not a photo or scrap of evidence in sight. Perhaps Nick would like to come on an tell everyone how many of his Honey records have been accepted. Also explain how he thinks one of the countries foremost HONEY field workers can't actually id these birds. He must be doing something right as we lucked upon some fresh greenery in a tree not more than four hours ago. Over to you Nick, lets have it out in the open , not threatening pm telling me to stop or you'll get dirty. As for climbing your nests email me a photo of one to prove it aint going to be a wasted journey and i'll come up

im nearer valley boy ill watch all day with him and tell him to his face that these birds are(very) common buzzards.

wtf. just leave him to sad obsession.the worst kind of birder is one who cannot take advice.

strange the rspb has not set up a watchpoint.. oh i forgot honey buzzards and hobbys are much more common where he goes than common buzzards and hobbys. ;) :storm: B :)

Over to you Nick, lets have it out in the open , not threatening pm telling me to stop or you'll get dirty. [/QUOTE]

Is Nick actually threatening you over this ?

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back