• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CClaner is taking 1 hour to analyse....any idea why ?? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I had CCleaner on my old desk top and its on my old laptop.
When I click "analyse" it took perhaps 20/30 seconds to complete.
I downloaded it to my new laptop. When I now click "analyse" it takes up to an hour to complete............this is what happens.........
1)there is a 'bar' at the top which shows the completion %......at first absolutely nothing shows there.
2) in the main box some wording shows..........cant tell you what is says as it continually changes
3) I left it for 45 minutes and the bar started to show %........slowly at first then when it was half way across it sped up and completed in a further 10 seconds.
My new laptop is a Toshiba with windows 10.
Thanks

Which browser are you using David? I found that Ccleaner took ages to clear microsoft Edge data BUT if you clear the 'Edge' browsing data from within Edge and then run Ccleaner it is very fast.
EDIT also do you keep your version of Ccleaner up to date?

Which browser are you using David? I found that Ccleaner took ages to clear microsoft Edge data BUT if you clear the 'Edge' browsing data from within Edge and then run Ccleaner it is very fast.
EDIT also do you keep your version of Ccleaner up to date?
Thanks
Interesting...........Edge is the browser that came with it and I haven't added anything else.
I am thinking of downloading Firefox which is on the old laptop.
A couple of questions then please............
1. I open Ccleaner without opening the browser so how does that affect it ?
2. How do I "clear the Edge browsing data from within Edge" ?
Re' latest version..........I wondered as the one I have just downloaded seemed
exactly the same as the old one. Then, just 1 hour ago a pop-up asked "do you want to download the latest version of Ccleaner.

Thanks
Interesting...........Edge is the browser that came with it and I haven't added anything else.
I am thinking of downloading Firefox which is on the old laptop.
A couple of questions then please............
1. I open Ccleaner without opening the browser so how does that affect it ?
2. How do I "clear the Edge browsing data from within Edge" ?
exactly the same as the old one. Then, just 1 hour ago a pop-up asked "do you want to download the latest version of Ccleaner.
You can run more than one browser if you want (I use Firefox and Edge)

To clear the browsing data in Edge:-
Open Edge and Click on the 3 little dots on top right
Then 'Setting' > 'choose what to clear' (under clear browser data)
You can then choose what to clear and click 'Clear' (I just clear the top 4 items as per the default).

After clearing the browsing data in Edge (does not take long) come out of edge and go into Ccleaner and run as per normal (always making sure you have the latest version of Ccleaner).

Have you tried Glary Utilities ive been using it for over a year and find it tobe one of the best at clearing all the crap off your PC.

It may look the same but is the the same/latest version? Ccleaner releases updates every couple of weeks or so (If you are not sure then just click on 'Check for updates' within Ccleaner)

Latest CCleaner update was yesterday with version 5.13.5460. No problems here running Firefox 43.0.1
I have never had a problem with CCleaner and Firefox, been using it for years.
But there does seem to be a problem with CCleaner and Mcrosoft Edge - CCleaner takes ages to clean 'Edge'.
The answer I have found is to clean the 'Edge' stuff from within 'Edge' and then run CCleaner for everything else, its much faster that way.

Why don't you just click clean and skip analyse?

Depending how long it is since you cleaned your system CCleaner can take several hours but only if you tick complex (35 passes) overwrite.

Andy

Last edited:

Depending how long it is since you cleaned your system CCleaner can take several hours but only if you tick complex (35 passes) overwrite.

Andy
I always use complex (35 passes) and it takes me about 10 secs to analyse regardless of how much there is to remove to remove so there is nothing to be gained by skipping analyse.
The Original posters problem is because he is using Microsoft edge as his browser. This is a widely know problem with CCleaner cleaning 'Edge' stuff. it is easily solved by cleaning the Edge stuff in Edge before you run CCleaner.

BTW I have never taken more than 10 minutes to clean at 35 passes even when I have not done it for several weeks, but I have a very fast PC which can make a difference I find.

Last edited:
BTW I have never taken more than 10 minutes to clean at 35 passes even when I have not done it for several weeks, but I have a very fast PC which can make a difference I find.

Regularly takes my system up to 2 hrs to clean even without analysis, must depend on the type of files you're wiping?

Youtube vids etc are very large files so take time to wipe, much more than just documents and web pages.

Andy

Andy
TBH I meant that I clicked "run cleaner"..............not analyse.
I have exactly the same boxes ticked as on the old laptop which takes just minutes.
I am going to do as Roy C suggested and amend Edge.
I am also going to install Firefox which I have on the old laptop.

Regularly takes my system up to 2 hrs to clean even without analysis, must depend on the type of files you're wiping?

Youtube vids etc are very large files so take time to wipe, much more than just documents and web pages.

Andy
It obviously depends on the amount of data and the frequency that you run CCleaner. I also view a lot of vids on youtube inc old films but I rarely let it go much more than 10-15 gb before cleaning (always 35 passes).
It sometimes used to take up to 30 minutes to clean when I had my old PC but since buying a new PC with a fast i7 processor (overclocked) with plenty of ram it is mega times quicker to clean, maybe the HDD and SSD makes a difference as well.
Even if I do not clean for a couple of weeks or more and the cleaning process takes around 5 mins I find the the analysis part rarely takes more than 10 secs!

TBH I meant that I clicked "run cleaner"..............not analyse.
I have exactly the same boxes ticked as on the old laptop which takes just minutes.
I am going to do as Roy C suggested and amend Edge.
I am also going to install Firefox which I have on the old laptop.
I am sure that if you clean the browsing data in Edge before running CCleaner you will find a massive difference David.
If I was using Edge all the time as my browser I most certainly would not be using CCleaner at all unless I first cleaned the Edge stuff from within Edge.

I am sure that if you clean the browsing data in Edge before running CCleaner you will find a massive difference David.
If I was using Edge all the time as my browser I most certainly would not be using CCleaner at all unless I first cleaned the Edge stuff from within Edge.
Roy (and others).
Many thanks for your help. I followed your "instructions" and CCleaner then only took 10/15 seconds:-O
Something that puzzles me (don't know if you can help).........I leave 'unchecked' any boxes relating to passwords yet every time I use It, I "lose" all my passwords so that any forum e.g. BF (plus my email account)... I have to go through the rigmarole of re-doing passwords & user names etc.
A real pain as Hotmail insist on telling me my password is incorrect and make me invent another one every time:C

You could try a handly little programme called LastPass David (there may be other similar programmes too).

All you need is to remember one password for LastPass and it will store all the passwords for all your other sites and will automatically log you in to them. It does various other things as well, such as suggesting passwords for new sites. I don't make full use of it yet.

You could try a handly little programme called LastPass David (there may be other similar programmes too).

All you need is to remember one password for LastPass and it will store all the passwords for all your other sites and will automatically log you in to them. It does various other things as well, such as suggesting passwords for new sites. I don't make full use of it yet.
Thank you
As an old f**t I do worry over being too computerised|:x|.......is there no danger that someone could then get hold of all your pass words ? Even today there is a report of hackers getting into the BBC system:eek!:

Hi David,

I had the same problem until I recognised that it is very important to choose every selection for each software mentioned separetly. While I have all possibilities checked on the "Internet Explorer" which I rarely use it´s right contrary for my standard browser Firefox, where most of the boxes are left blank and only the cache and the download is checked. I ussually use a few opened tabs at the same time that´s why I dont check "browser session", "internet progress" (2nd box from the top), and cookies. With this setting I don´t have problems with lost passwords after cleaning. I assume it´s just a try and error -game to find the correct settings for yourself.

Last edited:
Last Pass keeps your individual passwords safe and hidden. All you need to do is to keep your Lastpass password as safe and secure as your bank card Pin No.

LP will even tell you if you have used a password on more than one site and give you an opportunity to change one.

It's been a godsend for me, as there's no way I'd remember a load of different p/words.

Thank you
As an old f**t I do worry over being too computerised|:x|.......is there no danger that someone could then get hold of all your pass words ? Even today there is a report of hackers getting into the BBC system:eek!:

Roy (and others).
Many thanks for your help. I followed your "instructions" and CCleaner then only took 10/15 seconds:-O
Something that puzzles me (don't know if you can help).........I leave 'unchecked' any boxes relating to passwords yet every time I use It, I "lose" all my passwords so that any forum e.g. BF (plus my email account)... I have to go through the rigmarole of re-doing passwords & user names etc.
A real pain as Hotmail insist on telling me my password is incorrect and make me invent another one every time:C
Hi David. I think what might be happening is CCleaner deleting cookies - as sites explain these days, these are small text files that reside on your machine and which tell websites who you are (not usually in any sinister sense) and what your log-in status is. If a website can't find a cookie on your machine because it got deleted by CCleaner, you'll always have to go through the rigmarole you describe.

In CCleaner, you can specify which cookies are NOT to be deleted. That way you can stay logged in permanently if you want (I registered here at BF during a brief visit in 2009 and didn't come back until 2014. But even after getting a new computer, I found I was still logged in to BF). Go to Options and then Cookies: the left pane will show the cookies currently on your computer. You can choose which ones to keep - in the case of BF, the cookie is birdforum.net - and move them to the right pane. Unfortunately some sites need several cookies in order to work properly, but with others - like BF - just one is needed.

These sorts of issues can be difficult to resolve as a variety of factors could be involved, but the first thing to do is to ensure you're not deleting the necessary cookies.

I hope this may be of some help. Best wishes for the New Year.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back