• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 16x56 review (1 Viewer)

Kevin Conville

yardbirder
The following is my take on the Monarch 16x56. I’ve spent the better part of two days using these under varying conditions alongside two other 16x optics, a Nikon ED50 spotting scope w/ 16x DS eyepiece, and Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX Binoculars

I bought the Monarchs as I've been wanting a center focus high power bin as of late. The Fujinons , though brilliant, leave a lot to be desired as a birding bin because of their nonexistent close focus, individual focus, and large form. I was hoping the Monarchs would fit the bill.

I used both the Nikon scope and the Fuji bins as both a control for optical comparisons and to compare the practicality in the field.

Here’s what I found:

Acuity: ED50, Fujinon, Monarch- in that order.
The scope is only slightly sharper than the Fujis with the Monarchs a click and a half behind. This is in all light, bright and dim. On very bright objects, as in viewing the near full moon last night, the Fujis quickly find very minute detail that the Monarchs just cannot resolve. I use this as an example as it pretty much negates any advantage of aperture the Fuji has. Some small objects that were clear in the Fujis weren’t even findable with the Monarchs.

CA: ED50, Monarch, Fujinon- in that order.
The little scope has almost no false color until you get to the very edge of the field. The Monarchs do pretty good, but it's there and anywhere except right down the middle you'll be seeing it on high contrast views. The big Fujis have the most but if looking down the middle it's pretty much gone.
These are during challenging conditions

Distortion: They all exhibit little bending of lines both vertical and horizontal, with the ED50 and Fujis slightly besting the Monarchs.

Flatness of field: Fujinons, ED50, Monarchs- in that order.
All are fine to my eye. The flat field has been one of the bragging rights of the Fujis and does make them superior for astronomy use, along with their large aperture.

What I like about the Monarchs:
*I like their form, light and compact.
*The focus wheel is excellent, being smooth and properly damped.
*The diopter adjustment, while not locking, is easy to adjust and stays put.
*The hinge has enough stiffness to stay put as well. This last point is a deal breaker for me if a bin won't keep it's IPD during normal use.
*The eyecups are fine with several stops along the way. Funny thing though, it didn't seem to matter if the eyecups were fully extended or one click in for me to easily see the full field without blackouts, very forgiving. This is w/o glasses BTW.

What I don’t like about the Monarchs:
*Minor point, the rubber armor is the tacky type. Easy to grab, for sure, but tends to collect dirt, dust, etc. I don’t want to overstate this aspect though as it is a minor issue.
*The tripod adapter isn’t very good. It looks good and is easy to use but imparts vibration. I tightened the screw as much as I dare but the bin easily vibrates affecting the view. I used a massive tripod with a very robust head that is rock steady. The Fujis, which have my home made tripod mount and the scope, which directly attaches via an Arca plate, doesn’t vibrate at all. BTW, all are attached via Arca Swiss plates to a (modified with Arca type clamp) Manfotto 3130 video head which is very stout.
*And here's the big ticket issue for me, they're not sharp enough for me. They're decent but cannot compete in quality of view that both the Fujis and the ED50 deliver. They'll be returned.

The Monarchs are one of those bins that you fuss with the focus a lot. That’s because they just aren’t that sharp and one is frequently searching for a better view. The hallmark of a great optic is that “snap to” quality of focus. You know when you have it and you leave it alone. The Monarchs just don’t have it.

I’m still wanting a center focus 15/16x bin, but I'll wait until a good deal comes along on a Swaro, Zeiss, or (maybe) Meopta. In the meantime the big Fujis deliver for certain applications though they won't focus any closer than about 80’. They are awesome to look through though. Funny thing, the individual focus Fujis are often quicker to focus than the Monarchs. This is because finding focus is obvious with the Fujis and ambiguous with the Monarchs, despite having to focus each tube separately.

To me the next logical step from 8x birding bins are the 15/16x large aperture bins. Why? Because I can’t hold bins well enough to gain detail over an 8x bin without the aid of additional support. If I’m going to use a tripod or monopod then I want to take full advantage and use a binocular with some real horsepower, so to speak.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my musings.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you for that review !!
I agree with most of what you say, esp. the statements about sharpness (and I would add here also „contrast“).
The only average sharpness may be the price to pay for the compactness of the bino - the Monarch is one of the smallest, if not the smallest, 16x56 binos around, and it must be quite difficult to get high optical performance, CA correction, straylight suppression etc. into such a small body, so in the end probably a lot of compromises had to be made to keep the bino small.
The same is even more true for the 20x56 model. Not a bad bino, but it definitely lacks the image qualities a similarly priced e.g. APM 20x70 can offer - but the latter is 50% larger !

Thanks Kevin.

Thats valuable info. Sounds like the sharpness would be one show stopper for me too. Did you check the IPD range? Quite often tripod mounting brackets can cause a problem for those with narrower IPDs. Usually you can turn the binoculars upside down, but, it seems less stable and for some reason I'm fairly useless focussing with my thumb. ;)

David

David,
By my measurement the IPD ranges from 59mm to 74mm.

The tripod adapter has a blade cross section and is about 3mm thick. The barrels of the bin do touch the blade at their narrowest. Because the gap between the barrels where the blade sits is about 2mm, I'm guessing only about 1mm is lost with the adapter attached.

For the already mentioned problem with vibration this adapter allows, I would go with a cradle type adapter if I were to keep them.

Added: My curiosity got me to check my estimate and I was right, with the adapter in place the minimum IPD increases 1mm to 60mm.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. That's not too bad, but would make a difference for some, including my wife.

Cheers,

David

Thanks Kevin for taking the time to compare the Nikon 50ED , Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX and the Monarch 16x56! Excellent comparison , makes me want a Fuji 16x70 FMT-SX even more.

Kevin
why don't you take a look to the Vortex Kaibab 15x56?
I use this model during my raptor migration counts and it works fine, IMHO.

I guess much of it matters from what they are used for and what they are compared with. These Monarch 5 16x56 binoculars seem to be a popular binocular on the Nikon USA website. They are currently back ordered.

I just looked at them on Nikon's USA Website. There have received 17 reviews since 2013 and all of them are 5 Star reviews which is remarkable! Most of them are not specific as to use and Astronomy is not mentioned at all. They appear to be used for general purposes.

A Tripod Adaptor comes with them.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

Bob

Last edited:
Kevin. Why don't you try the Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56? $500.00 more than the Nikon's but very close to the Swarovski SLC especially for astronomy for $500.00 less. Much bigger AFOV than the Nikon's or SLC at 69 degree's AFOV and AK prisms with a very sharp view. Here is a good review and comparison to the SLC's.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/ZeissConquest15x56HD.htm

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin for the nice review.
I didn't understand negates benefit of aperture.
Sounds like the adapter plate resonates?

I wouldn't tripod mount such a binocular, only brace it, so the inferior resolution would not matter so much to me.
I have an older Nikon 12x56, which is O.K. but I prefer the Barr and Stroud 12x56 ED.

If I wanted higher resolution I would use my hand held Canon 18x50 IS binocular or a tripod mounted scope.

Kevin .... Nice review. I am not in the market for a Nikon 15X but you have some very good information in the review that applies generally to all binoculars!

Kevin
why don't you take a look to the Vortex Kaibab 15x56?
I use this model during my raptor migration counts and it works fine, IMHO.

I know Vortex is received well by many people but I'm batting 0 for 2 with them.

I had a 6.5 x 32 once (forgot the model) and the focus mechanism was apparently made out of mozzarella. It literally disintegrated the first day.

My brother had, I think, Vipers. They had diopter shift from day one and quickly became unusable.

If I had an opportunity to try the Kaibabs I most certainly would, but I don't think I'll be buying a pair to try out.

Kevin. Why don't you try the Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56? $500.00 more than the Nikon's but very close to the Swarovski SLC especially for astronomy for $500.00 less. Much bigger AFOV than the Nikon's or SLC at 69 degree's AFOV and AK prisms with a very sharp view. Here is a good review and comparison to the SLC's.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/ZeissConquest15x56HD.htm

I stated that I am interested in both the Zeiss and the Swaros. I think your math is wrong however. I paid $660. for the Monarchs from Optics Planet (with coupon), the Conquests sell for $1500 from B&H, and the Swaros are about $2300.

That's $840. and $800. respectively

You may have some grey market source or inside connection, but I want to buy from a reputable US dealer with warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin for the nice review.
I didn't understand negates benefit of aperture.
Sounds like the adapter plate resonates?

I wouldn't tripod mount such a binocular, only brace it, so the inferior resolution would not matter so much to me.
I have an older Nikon 12x56, which is O.K. but I prefer the Barr and Stroud 12x56 ED.

If I wanted higher resolution I would use my hand held Canon 18x50 IS binocular or a tripod mounted scope.

The aperture bit was about light capturing. There shouldn't be any practical advantage to the Fujis vs the Monarchs looking at a bright moon, for example.

I'm not sure if the bracket resonates or not, it may, but the way it interfaces with the binocular isn't very solid.

To resolution, if you don't need it or want it, then yeah, lots of binoculars will get the job done.

One thing I forgot to mention in the review is flare and glare.
The Monarchs aren't perfect but they do pretty well.

In my way of understanding, Flare is when light spills across the view in the form of a slice of pie or circles. Glare is the opaque milkiness that occurs.

I may have the definitions confused but I didn't see any flare in the Monarchs and glare only materialized in any real way when pointing in the direction of the low sun, and it wasn't that severe. Really quite good.

If they were just sharp, even down the middle only, I'd be happy to own them

Last edited:
Kevin, thanks for the review. I'm also somewhat interested in a "big binocular", and I actually thought about getting the Nikon to have a look. What kept me from doing so, was Roger Vine's review (http://scopeviews.co.uk/NikonMonarch16x56.htm). Well, and now your review put paid to any thoughts about the Nikon.

I reckon I'll have a look at the Zeiss Conquest some day. The Swarovski is probably even nicer but I don't like the price. A shame though the Docter 15x60 isn't available anymore, that may well have been a nice alternative to the roofs.

Hermann

Kevin:

Nice review. I owned the M5 12x42 and my findings were similar to yours about the 16x56. In particular the poor resolution of the M5 12x was the main show stopper for me as well. The seemingly minor fact that the rubber armor was a dust magnet also was one of the cons.

Peter

The dust attracting armor on some of the Nikon's is one thing I dislike about them. It is almost sticky like fly paper. It is a minor thing but it is bothersome and it plays in your choice of your binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back