• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skipper Id please (1 Viewer)

Mahsleb

Hi Folks

Is this a Small or Essex Skipper?
and how to spot the difference please?

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• IMG_3371.2.jpg
    IMG_3371.2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 86
Essex skipper has a black tip to the underside of the antennae. The male has a shorter scent mark. I am not certain that your photo shows the diagnostic features but I would veer towards Essex - but I'm not an expert.
Ken

Essex skipper has a black tip to the underside of the antennae. The male has a shorter scent mark. I am not certain that your photo shows the diagnostic features but I would veer towards Essex - but I'm not an expert.
Ken

Thanks Ken It seems that my question was a difficult one to answer, I hadn't realised that there's so little difference between the two.
Next time I'll try and get a better angled shot

Id go for Essex for the reasons Ken has said.

Thanks Paul :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back