Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon 8x32 SE vs. Nikon Venturer 8x32 LX - Please advise - Newbie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Monday 7th June 2004, 23:34   #26
dean tran
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: san diego, California
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by maitreya
From 2001-2003, I birded with my 8x32 SE in the yeasty environment of Eugene, Oregon. They never fogged up in Eugene or at any other location since I bought them in 1998, regardless of hours of birding in the rain and high humidity, no fungus problems either. For me the issue of waterproofing is less important than the image quality (top priority for me) and the handling (second priority for me). It's really a matter of philosophy, if you are buying binoculars as a tool through which you can connect with the world of birds, you cannot do better than the SE's. Provided of course, that the handling works for you. When I decided to add a 10 x 42 to my stable of optics tools, I again opted for the non-waterproof Nikon SE. Also, the scope I bird with is a non-waterproof Televue Pronto with non-waterproof Televue Radian eyepiece.

I am now not alone...I own Nikon 10x42 SE for few weeks now, I like it so much and I add a 8x32 SE which will arrive tomorrow. If the 8x32 SE is as good as the original 10x42 SE, then view thru 8x32 SE would be outstanding. The prism housing provides good & comfortable hand hold feeling for me.

I thought of buying roof bino for it small dimension and cute appeal, until I look thru Nikon SE porros.
dean tran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th June 2004, 00:49   #27
mpedris
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean tran
If the 8x32 SE is as good as the original 10x42 SE, then view thru 8x32 SE would be outstanding.
Once you receive your 8x32 SE, please tell us how you like them and how they compare, in your opinion, with the 10x42 SE.

Thanks.
__________________
Manendra Pedris

"If God had consulted me before embarking on Creation,
I would have suggested something simpler"
- Alfonso X, King of Castile and Leon (1221-1284) commenting on the Ptolemaic planetary system.
mpedris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th June 2004, 02:30   #28
mike60
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 72
Manendra,
I dont think a comparison is very meaningful in this instance.
I have looked extensively through both the 8x and 10x SE and they are both superb bins, at any price, in their respective magnification categories. I opted for the 8x because I prefer 8x in most situations. Perhaps I might one day buy the 10x, but thats because I may want an excellent 10x bin for a specific use. In fact, I was originally attracted to the SE range by chance when I looked through the 10x one day. I had never heard of them or read any reviews.
I think a person needs to decide on the magnification they prefer first, and then select the SE if they believe its the best option in that magnification. Maybe a comparison of 2 SE bins of different magnification would end up being more of a comparison of 8x vs 10x because they are both optically excellent, in my view.
mike60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th June 2004, 10:55   #29
Blincodave
Registered User
 
Blincodave's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike60
Manendra,
I dont think a comparison is very meaningful in this instance.
I have looked extensively through both the 8x and 10x SE and they are both superb bins, at any price, in their respective magnification categories. I opted for the 8x because I prefer 8x in most situations. Perhaps I might one day buy the 10x, but thats because I may want an excellent 10x bin for a specific use. In fact, I was originally attracted to the SE range by chance when I looked through the 10x one day. I had never heard of them or read any reviews.
I think a person needs to decide on the magnification they prefer first, and then select the SE if they believe its the best option in that magnification. Maybe a comparison of 2 SE bins of different magnification would end up being more of a comparison of 8x vs 10x because they are both optically excellent, in my view.
I would agree totally with Mike. I have both; they are both superb. Ultimately, it will come down to your personal preference with their relative strengths and limitations of 8x magnification over 10. At the moment, I am using my 10x all the time!
Blincodave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 10th June 2004, 02:25   #30
dean tran
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: san diego, California
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris
Once you receive your 8x32 SE, please tell us how you like them and how they compare, in your opinion, with the 10x42 SE.

Thanks.
I now got the 8x32SE for few days in addition to my 10x42SE which I have for few weeks. Here is summary of comparison.

Optics: contrast, sharpness, brightness, clear and pleasing view--they are similar in this regard. 8x offers as much brightness as the bigger sister 2 hrs before sunset. I looked thru Swarovski 8.5x42 today, the 8x SE is at least as good or better. Some 8xSE owners mentioned the 10xSE is a bit sharper, but I can't really see the difference in day time.

Feel/Handhold: 10x is more pleasing to hold; 8x is lighter and has more solid feel, due to shorter barrel with denser optical elements spacing. Both has quality feel in the hand. 8x is smaller in size, it looks small, almost toy like size. 10x is small and light for same 10x bino.

Usefulness: 8x is a tad more useful, due to size, a bit less shaking, wider field, more depth of field and a tad less blackout. 10x advantage is pulling power. 8x object view is smaller, but I need to switch binos quickly to see the difference, it probably doesn't make a difference in most cases.

Recommendation: Positive YES for either of them. They are exellent binos and values with similar optical characteristics. Since they are very much the same bino, I probably keep only one and sell the other, which one to keep is a good question.

Today I compare the Venturer LX (roof) 10x42HG to the 8x32SE in a short time. The Venturer is a bit sharper and brighter in a very limited limited viewing comparision. I can't really compare the pleasing view and 3D effect of SE series binos to Venturer LX/HG series. Many SE owners beleive porros has more 3D effect due to parallax effect (interpupillary distance). Both have pleasing views.

Conclusion: SE series is one of the best with excellent value. The only downsize is "the best--zeiss, swarovski and leica" have better resale value and chic appeal. Compare the SE to Venturer and the other high ends and decide for yourself.

8x32 SE competition: You might want to look to buy Fujinon 8x or 10x porros bino, they look ugly but they are exellent binos, cost less and has similar optical performance. What they dont' have is brand name (Nikon, Leica, etc...) In short Porros binos provide best bang for the buck since they go out of style in favor of roof binos.

ebay.com (USA) advertises plenty used and exellent binos for less than half price of new ones.
dean tran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 10th June 2004, 09:02   #31
iporali
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean tran
8x32 SE competition: You might want to look to buy Fujinon 8x or 10x porros bino, they look ugly but they are exellent binos, cost less and has similar optical performance. What they dont' have is brand name (Nikon, Leica, etc...)
What they also *don't have* is eg. central focusing (8x30) or compact size (10x70) making them IMHO better suited for uses like sailing or astronomy rather than birdwatching. But purely in optical performance Fujinons may well be as good as Nikon SEs.

I could throw in the good "old" Nikon 8x30EII, which is lighter, less expensive and has a significantly wider view than SE. If the FOV is important - like it is for many birders - EII could be a serious competitor. I have not compared the two Nikons side by side, but I would say the difference in resolution can not be very big. Any opinions?

Ilkka
iporali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 10th June 2004, 14:37   #32
mpedris
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean tran
Conclusion: The only downsize is "the best--zeiss, swarovski and leica" have better resale value and chic appeal.
Hmmm... Of course, the chic appeal. Now why didn't I think of that? Looking at birds while attracting them!

Thank you, and others, for great reviews.
__________________
Manendra Pedris

"If God had consulted me before embarking on Creation,
I would have suggested something simpler"
- Alfonso X, King of Castile and Leon (1221-1284) commenting on the Ptolemaic planetary system.
mpedris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 27th June 2004, 17:38   #33
mpedris
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Posts: 123
Question Chromatic Aberration on SE?

Folks,

I finally got my 8x32SE pair about a week ago. While looking at a Munia on an electric wire (against a bright sky), I saw a slight yellow cast falling on the bird. I recognized it as Chromatic Aberration (CA) for I could make it out also on the edges of some trees in the distance against a white (cloudy) sky.

Do you see CA on the SE often?
__________________
Manendra Pedris

"If God had consulted me before embarking on Creation,
I would have suggested something simpler"
- Alfonso X, King of Castile and Leon (1221-1284) commenting on the Ptolemaic planetary system.

Last edited by mpedris : Sunday 27th June 2004 at 17:42.
mpedris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 27th June 2004, 18:00   #34
scampo
Steve Campsall
 
scampo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leicestershire, UK
Posts: 6,273
I think all bins suffer to some degree - and the Nikons less than most. A comment on these amazing binoculars is on this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....772#post173772
__________________
Steve
"...when the cities lie at the monster’s feet there are left the mountains."
Robinson Jeffers, "Shine, Perishing Republic"
scampo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 27th June 2004, 19:12   #35
Leif
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris
Folks,

I finally got my 8x32SE pair about a week ago. While looking at a Munia on an electric wire (against a bright sky), I saw a slight yellow cast falling on the bird. I recognized it as Chromatic Aberration (CA) for I could make it out also on the edges of some trees in the distance against a white (cloudy) sky.

Do you see CA on the SE often?
I sometimes see a trace of green and yellow fringing through mine but it is minor. My Swaro 8.5x42 EL shows significantly more. No binocular I have tried is free from CA, though to my eyes the SE is the best in this respect. By all accounts the new Zeiss FL range is even better.
Leif is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th June 2004, 22:10   #36
Leif
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris
Folks,

I finally got my 8x32SE pair about a week ago. While looking at a Munia on an electric wire (against a bright sky), I saw a slight yellow cast falling on the bird. I recognized it as Chromatic Aberration (CA) for I could make it out also on the edges of some trees in the distance against a white (cloudy) sky.

Do you see CA on the SE often?
BTW If you think you see CA through the Nikon 8x32 SE, then you should try the Nikon 8x32 HG, or Leica 8x32 BN! I can't use either binocular as the CA is so bad. However, most people do not seem to notice its, and those two binoculars are extremely popular as evidenced by the comments on BF.
Leif is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 28th June 2004, 09:44   #37
mpedris
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
BTW If you think you see CA through the Nikon 8x32 SE, then you should try the Nikon 8x32 HG, or Leica 8x32 BN! I can't use either binocular as the CA is so bad. However, most people do not seem to notice its, and those two binoculars are extremely popular as evidenced by the comments on BF.
Thanks Leif & Steve for the responses.

The CA is very slight and does not bother me. I was just wondering what others thought of the CA in the SE because I saw it and I didn't recall anyone else specifically mentioning CA the way they did regarding the HGs.

I'm certainly VERY happy with this instrument and glad I got the SE as opposed to the HG, especially since you say the HGs suffer from a lot more CA. Any more CA than I am already seeing would definitely spoil the bird for me! The view through the SE is breathtaking!

I started this thread to find out the merits of these two bins and BF members have been extremely helpful in this regard. Leif, your reviews (along with BVD reviews) greatly influenced my decision, especially since I bought the glass sight unseen.

My next quest is a 10x and right now I'm leaning towards the 10x42SE...

Thanks folks.
__________________
Manendra Pedris

"If God had consulted me before embarking on Creation,
I would have suggested something simpler"
- Alfonso X, King of Castile and Leon (1221-1284) commenting on the Ptolemaic planetary system.
mpedris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th July 2004, 12:08   #38
Atomic Chicken
Registered with the D.O.E.
 
Atomic Chicken's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 390
Greetings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris
Hello all.

I'm very new to this field of binoculars as well as to birding. Therefore, I need all the help I can get in choosing a good pair of binocs.

First of all I must say that IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO TEST BEFORE BUYING because of where I live.

[deleted paragraphs]

So, we have limited our choice to the following:
1) Nikon Venturer LX 8x32 NOTE: NOT 8x42
2) Nikon Superior E 8x32
I'm copying a posting I made on another thread, regarding my personal quest for the best 8X32 binoculars:

Quote:
When I set out to purchase a pair of 8X32 binoculars, I decided that I would accept nothing but the best that money could buy. I didn't care about the cost, I had the cash to buy anything up to $3,000 - I just wanted the absolute finest 8X32 optics available.

I spent well over a week, almost every day, for several hours a day, driving around from retailer to retailer looking through 8X32 binoculars. I would sometimes spend a half hour straight looking through a single pair of binoculars, thinking about EVERYTHING I was seeing, and taking detailed notes for later comparisons. I turned this into an obsessive, all consuming, serious part time job - I was NOT about to settle for anything but the finest I could obtain. I was interested in these factors (notice that Price is definitely NOT among them!):

Ruggedness/waterproofness (Very important to me, this ruled out the Nikon SE)
Overall image resolution and quality
Low light performance
Glare performance (looking at targets near the sun's position)
Color saturation and purity
Contrast, especially when looking at neutral scenes
Chromatic aberations (which REALLY bother me!)
Geometric aberations, especially at the edges
Edge effects, including focus and center-edge brightness differential
Ease of handling and quality of the focus control
Diopter adjustment position and locking arrangement
Weight (ranked low on my importance scale, but was still a factor)
Overall "brightness" of image
Aesthetic appeal (This was VERY low on my list, but was a consideration)

After this week of very detailed (and, I think, very OBJECTIVE) testing, I made my decision.

I chose the Nikon 8X32 HG (U.S. Name: Venturer LX 8X32) binoculars. I have not regretted my decision of 1 millisecond since then - these are simply the best 8X32 roof prism binoculars currently available, in my not-so-humble opinion. The Swarovski optics you refer to were VERY high on my list, but several factors - including overall image quality, ruggedness, and the SUPERB focus control of the Nikons won me over and made me pass the Swaro glass by. Again, cost had NOTHING to do with it - I really was interested in owning ONLY the best - and if the Swaro 8X32 binoculars were that, I would have a pair right now.

One other thing - in my opinion, whether the warranty is transferrable or not really isn't of importance, I plan on keeping these binoculars for life and passing them on to my children - hopefully FAR more than 25 years in the future :)

Best wishes,
Bawko
Hope this helps with your decision!
Bawko
Atomic Chicken is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.19475198 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:49.