• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 E2 - Good Value (1 Viewer)

Blackstart

Saxophonus pinus
Hi all-

I recently became the owner of a new Nikon 8x30 E2 binocular, bought sight unseen from the States (for $269) and sent to me in Slovenia.

I lusted after the elegant little Leica 8x32 for quite a few years, and had the money to make the purchase, but I just couldn't do it.

The psychological process was as follows:

...Are the folks at Leica freakin' crazy? This must be the worst value for money out there.

Maybe I should go with the Nikon 8x32 HG. Seems like good value, but damn it's ugly.

If I'm going to buy something that ugly, why not get the little Superior E? Then again it's not waterproof.

If I'm going to buy something ugly and not waterproof, maybe I should try the 8x30 E2...

So I bought one, have used it for about a week, and have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and I don't think there is a better value in binoculars currently available.

It feels solid in the hands and has excellent sharpness and color. It won't win any prizes for brightness, but under normal birding circumstances it is a highly useful piece of glass.

It won't survive a heavy downpour or impact, but if your money is tight or you need a good spare binocular, I just don't think you could do much better than the 8x30 E2.

-Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back