• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoiled by the SE view...now what? (1 Viewer)

'jg', would that be 'diddly squat', or perhaps 'doodly squat', meaning 'nothing at all', for those of us who speak only English? Thanks.

Sancho, I think he may have meant 'Bo Diddley'? Brenda Lee used to sing about him, not kindly either, as in "Dumb, dumb, Diddley dumb..." or was it 'doodly dumb'? Whatever, it matters not a jot, diddly squat.
Sorry, to return to the original question: After the Nikon SE, what then? Has 'jg' answered that by going 'happily down the road' after purchasing a Swaro'? Does eternal salvation lie therein? Should I trade in my SE, EII and HG, add more than a few hundred quid, and maybe just about afford a Swarovision? I can't sleep at night...

Last edited:
After the Nikon 8x32SE, what then? In my case, a Nikon 10x42SE which I've just bought on eBay for £280. It should arrive on Thursday. Can't wait...

After the Nikon 8x32SE, what then? In my case, a Nikon 10x42SE which I've just bought on eBay for £280. It should arrive on Thursday. Can't wait...

That was a superb price, James, congratulations. I´ve never seen one. And I´m glad I missed that on e-bay, trying to empty the optics cupboard!;)

What every SE owner needs now? I just found these on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/4x30mm-Day-Pop-...otn=14&po=LCA&ps=63&clkid=6458648983482781749

Ingenious - binoculars, with a torch attached! I simply must have one of these. And the returns policy is excellent- they´ll refund your money if you´re "Dead on Arrival"! (Seriously - scroll down and check).

Last edited:
I know what you mean, Sancho. I too have promised to reduce the optics collection to a bare minimum of (say) a dozen, which seems more than reasonable to me, but my wife thinks otherwise. When I saw this newly-listed Superior E 10x42 at that price, described as in perfect condition + case etc., the opportunity was not to be missed ("We pass this way but once..." as the saying goes). So five of my 'bucket list' are Nikon: a nice 7x35A with its original leather case, 8x32SE, 8x42HG, 10x35EII, and now a 10x42SE. Choosing the other seven is going to be interesting... (but won't be one with a torch attached).

I know what you mean, Sancho. I too have promised to reduce the optics collection to a bare minimum of (say) a dozen, which seems more than reasonable to me, but my wife thinks otherwise. When I saw this newly-listed Superior E 10x42 at that price, described as in perfect condition + case etc., the opportunity was not to be missed ("We pass this way but once..." as the saying goes). So five of my 'bucket list' are Nikon: a nice 7x35A with its original leather case, 8x32SE, 8x42HG, 10x35EII, and now a 10x42SE. Choosing the other seven is going to be interesting... (but won't be one with a torch attached).

For $7.99 I would guess that the bins with the "stealth light" have no prisms. If so, the view is going to be like looking through the objective end. But at least you won't have to worry about collimation issues. :)

James, Congrats! on the 10x42 SE.

Is it a personal preference to have a twelve bins on your "bucket list" or is there some historic, religious, or pop culture (movie) significance to making it an even dozen?

Good choices so far, though I couldn't get on with the HG because of the "rolling ball" but the image was otherwise superb except more CA than I would have liked, more so in the 10x42 model.

Looks like you need an 8x30 EII to complete the series.

The 'bucket list' being a dozen is just me 'boxing clever' because, if a 'round figure' is to be imposed by 'she of the round figure' as my collection maximum, I'd rather be able to pick from an 'imperial twelve' than a 'metric ten', presuming the next rounding up (to 20) would be several bin's too far and thus unconscionable. So personal preference is not so much for historical, religious or cultural reasons, but marital harmony/survival (aka self preservation). Many years of marriage have made me "a bit canny, like" (clued up).
As to the HG, it's my favourite Nikon: the one I'd have if the round figure had to be '1'.
I already have an 8x30, in the form of a Zeiss Conquest 8x30BT*, which is as sharp as anything at the centre, so I ought not to covet a Nikon 8x30EII, although it'd be nice...

Incidentally, and a bit off topic, on eBay UK currently with 2 days to go are 'new' 7x35E and 10x35E BIN's, $500 and $400 respectively, listed as in Dela/where? USA. Must be old unused stock...

....I'd rather be able to pick from an 'imperial twelve' than a 'metric ten', presuming the next rounding up (to 20) would be several bin's too far and thus unconscionable....Many years of marriage have made me "a bit canny, like" (clued up).

I´ve dreamed of a round-figure of four - compacts, low-mag 30mm, "all-round" 8x42, and a pair of 15x "big-eyes". I´ve nearly achieved this (if not marital harmony - but if it weren´t bins, it would be the unclosed fridge-door; they always get you in the end;)). BTW, James, where´s your little smurf avatar gone?

Nikon 10x42SE arrived this morning. Lovely condition, complete with original Nikon case, strap, and lens covers. Very misty here today, with visibility down to about 200 metres, so hardly ideal conditions for testing the optics. First impression: sits easily in my hands, perhaps even better than the 8x32SE (because there's more body to grip) and a nicer shape than the 10x35EII (more ergonomic). If the weather improves "I shall return" later with more views (literally) but it's getting murkier so I'm not optimistic it will be today. In the meantime, my serial numbers are 0076xx if someone would be kind enough to advise on the year this 10x SE was manufactured...?
Sancho: Sorry, but I've never had an avatar. Indeed, I'd never heard the word until the movie was released, but now it seems it's everywhere. If I had one, it would be a Robin.

Nikon 10x42SE arrived this morning.........Sancho: Sorry, but I've never had an avatar.

Congrats on the 10x42 SE´s, James! Looking forward to your assessment. I´ve never seen a pair. As regards the avatar, sorry...it´s this darned middle-age again, inventing smurf pictures where they never existed:eek!:.

Congrats on the 10x42 SE´s, James! Looking forward to your assessment. I´ve never seen a pair. As regards the avatar, sorry...it´s this darned middle-age again, inventing smurf pictures where they never existed:eek!:.

Oh oh! having flashbacks again Sancho? I remember a post where you said that in your youth you would have paid good money for substances that give the effect of colour fringing:hippy:

Having 'readily read the threads' on BirdForum for 10x42SE most of the afternoon, would I be right in thinking my serial numbers 0076xx indicate circa 2001-2002, maybe earlier?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back