• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Edg vs Pentax ED vs Zeiss Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

Sorry Dennis, I cannot comment on what you can or cannot see.

I only comment on exactly what I can see and the circumstances of the test - i.e. NO doubler and the use of a tripod.

Personally, if I were you, I'd try this out first myself before assuming and commenting on what others can and cannot see.

FWIW more about whether this can be seen in actual handheld use is in part two.

I had the older Zeiss Conquest and although good it was not alpha quality. The HD is probably better but I find it hard to believe it is sharper than an EDG. Nice review on the three different binoculars though. I am surprised the Zeiss Conquest had focus problems because usually Zeiss has those kind of problems ironed out before production. It make me wonder about the HT now. I agree about the Rolls Royce quality on the EDG. Everything just works smooth as silk on these as it should for the price. Binoculars are an optical and mechanical instrument and it is a shame sometimes the mechanics ruin an otherwise great optical instrument.

Last edited:
Well done AB! You deserve a cold one after that! : ) Thanks for sharing i have been waiting to read your comparison. By the sounds of it Zeiss has there hands full of binoculars that me to me are going to be a hard sale. To many good binoculars in that price bracket and lower. People loyal to Zeiss maybe? Time will tell, i would have thought they would have had the kinks like the focusser worked out before release?

Thanks for the review, good read. Did you ever look through the original conquest? To me the hd is a significant improvement. The sweet spot was much wider in the hd. I didn't notice the quality control issues you had with the ziess on both the 8 and 10 power versions I tried. I hope they iron these out because I've heard others complain as well.

The hd is good, but I wouldn't take it over a premier, let alone an EDG.

Just now saw this thread and review today, because for one I am not on here (BF) as much as a I use to be and two, I am not on the Nikon forum that much because I no longer own one. I guess we all see what interests us the most.

I just got done reading through all of the posts and AB- I very much enjoyed your fine review and write up. I am ( I think) glad to hear that I had some influence on your interest in the Pentax 8x32 ED; as I still think it is a very fine binocular- especially for the price point.

As far as you wondering how your review would match up to mine that I did on the Swarovski 30/32 offerings:
If my review is half as good and informative as Stephen B's aforementioned review, I'll be a happy camper.

I can certainly say from my perspective- you do not have to worry about that- as you knocked it out of the park. I was impressed. Your thoughts and comments on the binoculars that you reviewed showed that you gave careful detailed info in an unbiased format that was enjoyable to read. Very well done. My only thought at all in reading through it- is I thought it was so very good, that I wished it was in the general binocular section rather than just the Nikon one so more people may see it. Especially since it covered (3) different bino brands.

My own review that I did, was only one fellas personal observation using my eyes looking through different glass- as I stated in the beginning of it:

This a personal review that is based on my personal empirical observations using my eyes and my hands. No specialized instruments were used -other than a tripod/-viewing platform.

AB- it sounds like you have very well trained eyes and it is backed up with good written communication of what your eyes saw. Again, well done!

As far as any input that I can add here- I am not sure that I can add very much since I have only seen the Pentax 8x32 ED and have not compared it to either of the other two that you reviewed.

As far as my own intro to the Pentax 8x32 ED- I came across them quite by accident. I really did not have much experience at all with Pentax binoculars. I saw my pair in a second hand store here locally and did not know much about them. I bought them even though they had an infinity focus defect ( Would not go all to end of focus range), because they had a really good view and the price was right. And, other than the focus part- they were in very good condition. I sent them off to Pentax for repair of the focus mechanism and they came back fantastic. I understand from others that the focus on these Pentax ED binoculars is stiff for them. But I have not had the experience that others have mentioned. The focus on my has always been smooth- even before sending them off for repair. They came back also silky smooth.

I really did not know what I had until I got them back and compared them to other binoculars that I had and others I have bought since. The more I compared the Pentax to other really fine binocular's- the more I realized that what I had was one very good binocular. The Pentax ED's were better than the 7x30 Swarovski SLC's that I had. I also compared the Swarovski 8x30 SLC NEU- of which the Pentax ED to me were noticeably better, and Swarovski 8x32 EL- of which the Pentax was not very far behind as I stated in my review; I came away with a strong impression that the Pentax were not far behind the EL's at all. Certainly not enough to be 2x more the price.

Every time I compared these Pentax ED's to other really good binoculars-I kept on thinking how can they be this good when they do not cost that much and especially I kept thinking- they can't be that good if I bought them in a second hand store. But they kept proving themselves

As far as the others in this review- I have never owned a Nikon EDG. But I have compared 3 different samples of Nikon 8x32 SE's since I have owned the Pentax ED. Based on glowing reports and reviews- I have bought (2) different samples of 8x32 SE's at different times. And after selling the first pair I had- six months later I regretted and thought I would give them another shot and bought another. I will have to say I was strongly lured by the positive feedback about them. That is not to disparage them- it was just that I had to try them for myself. In the end the Nikon's found a new home, but that is not to say that they were not simply superb. They were just not what I was looking for in my desire for a rugged everyday carry binocular.

I will not give a detailed comparison between the two since I do not have both the Pentax ED and the SE's right now. But, while I had the SE's I spent a ton of time comparing the 8x32 ED's and the SE's. Both gave great center field sharpness, brightness and contrast. Both are very bright (slight edge to the SE's) and the SE's had the edge on the edge sharpness. The fact that the Pentax 8x32 ED gave the venerable SE's a good neck and neck run in these optical categories showed me that this Pentax ED was indeed a good binocular.

I am first and foremost using binoculars as a hunter. In the end, as a hunter, and taking into account where I live- the waterproof factor was important to me. Regarding putting weight to the center field and sharpness and contrast- I tend to side to what Frank alluded to earlier with his comment:

AB,

..... To correlate the two, your comments about centerfield performance was something I wanted to call "Object Performance". In other words when we are focused on a specific object then issues such as apparent centerfield sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc... all tend to outweigh other optical performance parameters such as edge performance and also, to a lesser extent, the size of the sweet spot (the latter depending on how much of the field of view the object takes up in the image).....

And for me that is what is really important; and as Frank states- I can let that "outweigh other optical performance parameters " - because to me that ( center field optical quality) is where these Pentax ED's are really good. To think that they can even hold their own when compared to the Swarovski's, the best that Nikon has to offer, and as others have said also compare well to the Zeiss FL's- that is saying something. And to think we are even giving serious consideration that a binocular that cost about 1/3 of these others and still being right there (as I believe Kammerdiner stated in another post)- hot on their heels is really something.

I know that there are other binoculars that are better in a total package- but for me, I would rather have a couple pair of really good binoculars- rather than throw all my eggs in one basket. Could I afford 2K+ for a binocular- yes, but I could never justify in the end paying that for one binocular. Not to mention for that kind of $$- I would probably end up unloading others because of the cost justification or the repetition.

So in the end I am good with my main binocular stable- Two roofs- a 8x32 Pentax ED, and a 7x30 Swarovski SLC. And a couple Porro's- a Leupold Cascade Porro 8x42 and a 6x30 Leupold Yosemite. And a small compact reverse porro- my Bausch and Lomb 7x26 Custom Compact.

With those I am covered for most situations and I am happy and content.

As they say- different stokes... and different choices. And we all weigh them according to our own desires. Gives variety to the world and makes it less boring.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, good read. Did you ever look through the original conquest? To me the hd is a significant improvement. The sweet spot was much wider in the hd. I didn't notice the quality control issues you had with the ziess on both the 8 and 10 power versions I tried. I hope they iron these out because I've heard others complain as well.

The hd is good, but I wouldn't take it over a premier, let alone an EDG.

Unfortunately not. The last low priced Zeiss bino that I looked through was the small Diafun - I think that it was 8x30 - and thought that there were others that gave a better view for less money.

I have to admit that I was keen to try the Zeiss Conquest HD because of recent improvements in many areas, optical design, glass and coatings. I do believe that overall it delivered the goods, unless you're one of those who is especially sensitive to CA. But it's been disappointing that its introduction has been bogged down by these quality control issues. Hopefully they'll sort out these bugs ASAP.

Just now saw this thread and review today, because for one I am not on here (BF) as much as a I use to be and two, I am not on the Nikon forum that much because I no longer own one. I guess we all see what interests us the most.

I just got done reading through all of the posts and AB- I very much enjoyed your fine review and write up. I am ( I think) glad to hear that I had some influence on your interest in the Pentax 8x32 ED; as I still think it is a very fine binocular- especially for the price point.

As far as you wondering how your review would match up to mine that I did on the Swarovski 30/32 offerings:

I can certainly say from my perspective- you do not have to worry about that- as you knocked it out of the park. I was impressed. Your thoughts and comments on the binoculars that you reviewed showed that you gave careful detailed info in an unbiased format that was enjoyable to read. Very well done. My only thought at all in reading through it- is I thought it was so very good, that I wished it was in the general binocular section rather than just the Nikon one so more people may see it. Especially since it covered (3) different bino brands.

My own review that I did, was only one fellas personal observation using my eyes looking through different glass- as I stated in the beginning of it:

AB- it sounds like you have very well trained eyes and it is backed up with good written communication of what your eyes saw. Again, well done!

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate your kind words of encouragement. I believe that your review set the bar very high. I tried my best to follow suit and feel gratified that you believe I was successful in that regard.

The Pentax still amaze me after all this time - I have owned my pair for about a year now. As I mentioned it was your review that prompted me to try them out knowing full well that B&H would refund my money had I wanted to change them out for another pair.

I am still convinced that these binos are the Rodney Dangerfield of the upper range - they just don't get the respect that they deserve because they lack the snob appeal.

But you and I do agree on the bottom line in that they offer an excellent center view and outstanding value for money when one takes into account their positive attributes and minor deficiencies which in no way detracts from my enjoyment of using them.

I said this same thing some years ago when i had purchased the 10x43's! Though i regret getting rid of them my thought's have never changed. I just wasn't getting along with 10x at that time! Would love to still have them. I would just use them on a tripod!

Twilight

That time of day before sunrise or after sunset when the sun is below the horizon but is still providing adequate brightness due to its light being reflected off the atmosphere back onto earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight

I know that Zeiss is making a big deal about their forthcoming Victory HTs and how the extra brightness will be especially helpful during twilight. Hopefully this post will provide potential buyers with some useful info that I found illuminating from additional twilight viewing.

Note that I said viewing and NOT tests.

Knowing that I was going to return the Zeiss Conquest HD in a few days, I decided to take both the Zeiss and the Nikon Edg out for additional use during twilight. My only objective was to see which one was more fun and relaxing to use.

Not paying attention to any faults, especially the tight and jerky focusing of the Zeiss, but just enjoying the view, I found that I had no preference for either. Both gave enjoyable views and were quite relaxing to use. I could still feel my eyes doing a small amount of work, not while using them, but noticed after looking through them for about 5 to 10 minutes without a break, I could feel my eyes relax when I put them down. But that was shortly before twilight.

Once twilight set in, I began to notice how much more I enjoyed using the Zeiss. My enjoyment of them continued to increase until nightfall.

Interestingly, after nightfall, I think the combination of lower resolution of my eyes because of darkness, plus my 50 plus year old pupils not dilating to 7mm anymore, I was back to square one. That is both were just as enjoyable to use, but even although the Zeiss were clearly a little brighter, as I mentioned above, it didn't make a huge difference for me. Certainly not what I experienced during twilight.

Hopefully others more knowledgeable that me will weigh in, so I thought that I would share this interesting observation of mine. My feeling is that the higher resolution photopic vision used during the brighter twilight period highlighted the differences in brightness between the two binos more than the lower resolution of my scotopic vision at nightfall.

The bottom line is that I take back my thoughts about marketing fluff when I first read Zeiss statement above :t:

I think the conquest hd you got was a lemon . I just tested a set, the focus very smooth and light about the same as edg and smoother than the victory fl.

Very nice posts of the models. I have the Pentax DCF ED 10x50 and like it very much. I am sorry but I do not have any alphas to offer a comparison. My Pentax DCF ED 10x50 and Nikon SE 12x50 run neck and neck--depending upon the viewing situation. The SE 12x50 usually nudges ahead due to the extra magnification and neutral color performance. I had the Pentax DCF ED 8x32 and returned it because of the placement of the strap posts--kept rubbing the bones in the palms of my hands. Other than that, I was very pleased with the DCF 8x32.

...Bob
Kentucky

I think the conquest hd you got was a lemon . I just tested a set, the focus very smooth and light about the same as edg and smoother than the victory fl.

Joe:

I agree with you about the focus on the new Conquest, I thought it seemed
just fine, and just what would be expected on the one I tried.

So, rollover, Beethoven. I am thinking yours was not the normal. Zeiss
would not introduce a binocular with an inferior focus. The Conquest has not
had much of a mention about that.

Jerry

Joe:

I agree with you about the focus on the new Conquest, I thought it seemed
just fine, and just what would be expected on the one I tried.

So, rollover, Beethoven. I am thinking yours was not the normal. Zeiss
would not introduce a binocular with an inferior focus. The Conquest has not
had much of a mention about that.

Jerry

Now that a few more people have posted their experiences with the new Conquest HD, both the 8x and 10x versions, it seems as if mine was the only pair that had a problem with the focusing not being smooth and even.

Hopefully Zeiss will get their QC under control so that no more sub par binos slip through. Because the more time I spent with them, the more I enjoyed all of their positive tributes.

I'm going to wait for the Victory HT and see what it has to offer before I decide on my next bino.

and...

thanks for taking the time to review all three of these binoculars. I especially appreciate the time you took to outline your methodology and value your effort at being fair.

I have been looking for an 8x32 as a companion for my 10 power and the review in regards to the utility of the Pentax was very encouraging.

Now...before I use up all the advanced vocabulary that I have available, just want to say that I am looking forward to your "upcoming" review when you upgrade - sometime in 2013!

john

Thanks to all for taking the time to post that they enjoyed my review.

And thanks to joe101, NDhunter and the others who conformed that it was only my pair with the defective uneven focusing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back