Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon 8x32mm Premier SE has been discontinued by the manufacturer???

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 4th March 2014, 21:58   #51
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
Did my currency convertor work properly? That comes to 2,814.30 USD! That even beats Bob's pricing.

<B>
Old Tuesday 4th March 2014, 21:59   #52
perterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
But isn't "value" the same as caring about cost? And why does that "sour grapes" tone always seem to creep into the discussion?

I parked in front of a guy downtown yesterday, a local developer who drives the latest supercharged Jaguar XJ. Gets a new one every two years or so. For some reason I felt absolutely no desire to point out that my Subaru AWD is just as good in the snow.

Mark
Did he mention over and over and over and over ad infinitum that the only reason you drove a Subaru was because you couldnt afford a Jag? If not, then not a fair comparo to Denco
Old Tuesday 4th March 2014, 22:03   #53
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksharp65 View Post
Dang! The seller won't post to Sweden!
At the price he is posting, he's probably concerned that the Swedish authorities will sue him for profiteering.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th March 2014, 22:10   #54
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPPRESSOR View Post
I can add another. C A and lots of it. Kept mine for 11 1/2 months. good bins,but,better binoculars out there,much better.
suppressor
No wonder your username is SUPPRESSOR! You need a lot of CA suppression if you can see CA in the 8x32 SE, assuming that's the model you're referring to. Even the 10x isn't bad, and I'm sensitive to CA. The 12x50, OTOH, does show noticeable CA while looking at BOP flying overhead and in high contrast situations. But I used the 12x mainly for stargazing where it was a "stellar" performer.

To my eyes, CA in the 8x in the centerfield is not present in most situations, and only noticeable in the 10x against high contrast backgrounds typically found in the winter, but still not bad at all compared to the LX/HGL roofs.

You must have had a hard time with roofs before they started using ED glass. I noticed more CA with non-ED internal focus roofs than porros, which I think is why they added the ED glass to roofs. The internal focuser element is great for sealing out the rain but you pay for it with increased CA. Like so much about roofs, you have to keep making modifications to compensate for their inferiority to porros.

<B>
Old Tuesday 4th March 2014, 22:19   #55
looksharp65

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
At the price he is posting, he's probably concerned that the Swedish authorities will sue him for profiteering.
Nah, they'll love me for the custom fees and VAT inflow.

//L
Old Tuesday 4th March 2014, 22:44   #56
Kammerdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
No wonder your username is SUPPRESSOR! You need a lot of CA suppression if you can see CA in the 8x32 SE, assuming that's the model you're referring to. <B>
Does that even make sense??
Old Wednesday 5th March 2014, 00:03   #57
ceasar

Quote:
There are always stores that sell bins at inflated prices or at the MSRP. How they manage to move their merchandize I have no idea. In some parts of the world, prices are always higher, so they ether buy them at a high price or buy on the gray market and perhaps pay an import tax and.or VAT.

However, historically, the SE prices were separated by about $100 each. The 12x50 SE typically sold for $799, the 10x42 SE for $699, and the 8x32 SE for $550-599. This was the trend for at about a decade with NYC camera dealers. Smaller stores priced them closer to the MRSP or higher, the prices you quoted above. There used to be a website that tracked price trends in sports optics. They even had bar graphs that showed the trends visually. Miss that website. I used to follow Nikon Sport Optics prices.

Then the tsunami hit in 2011, and prices on Nikon's Japanese-made optics went up across the board. In the case of the SE, it was a $100 increase. The 8x SE jumped to $679-$699, the 10x42 SE to $799, and the 12x50 SE to $899.

The time between back order arrivals grew longer. SE buyers were paying more and waiting longer to receive their SEs. Demand built, higher demand = higher prices.

I interpreted all this as impacts from the tsunami, which was very disruptive to some business sectors, but also to the fact that with only two out of 50 nuclear reactors running, the price of electricity, and therefore manufacturing, had increased.

So the discontinuation of the SE series comes as kind of shock since other factors could have easily explained the price increases, but also because how many times have we heard that the SEs were being discontinued only to find out that it was a false rumor based on some store that was out of stock and posted on their website that the SEs were "no longer available."

My concern going forward is what this will do to the price of SEs on the second hand market. Only one of my six SEs was bought new, my present 8x32 SE, the five others were bought "like new" second hand, all for under $600 including the two 12x50 SEs, one of which was cosmetically a bit worn (the serial number had been rubbed off) but was still excellent optically.

It's always been my dream to own all three models since each fills a niche, but I could only afford one at a time, although I did own the 8x 550xxx and the 10x 050xxx for about a year or so before I sold the 10x SE to buy a Nikon 8x30 EII BB, which I had to sell after the "Big Crunch" in January. I didn't even get to use it!

Right now, holding on to the 8x32 SE 550xxx is my goal, but others are on my Bucket List:

1. Back up 8x32 SE (551xxx)
2. 10x42 SE (050/051xxx)
3. 12x50 SE (350xxx).

Total cost???

<B>
Brock,

I got those prices from Eagle Optics and Camera Land.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 5th March 2014, 00:05   #58
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
I think it often brings out what might best be called Swaro-tude. To cop a bad attitude (tude, as the kids say) towards Swaro just because it's Swaro.
Swaro-tude is a definite two way street. Some might see a bad attitude "against" Swaro, some will see an equally obnoxious attitude "for" swaro, just because it's...Swarovski. Anyway, I hope both sides enjoy the view.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 5th March 2014, 18:44   #59
MPeoples

They are gone for sure not in the 2014 price list.
Old Wednesday 5th March 2014, 20:41   #60
brocknroller

Although they have been discontinued, I wonder how many are left sitting in a warehouse in Japan? Got to get rid of that pre-made prism housings inventory that Bob keeps speculating about. :-)

Here's what we do know. Nikon made a last batch of 8x32 SEs, serial # 551xxx. I have only heard of one of those so far, so there could be up to 998 others waiting to be bought. If they dump the whole lot, prices would come down since supply would now meet demand. Since the padding is likely at the dealer level, it might not matter to Nikon whether they sell them all or keep releasing them in drips and drabs to select dealers. Dealers, OTOH, want to milk them for all they can, so they might continue to order them in limited quantities to keep supply low until they are all gone.

<B>
Old Wednesday 5th March 2014, 23:15   #61
David Swain

Quote:
Although they have been discontinued, I wonder how many are left sitting in a warehouse in Japan? <B>
Were this true, Amazon Japan ought to be lit up like a tree like it was recently with 8x30E IIs, but there is nothing. However, if either B & H or Adorama can get a few pair, there may be evidence for your scenario.

What are the five stages of mourning? Denial ...

David

Nikon 8x32SE, 8x30E II
Old Wednesday 5th March 2014, 23:22   #62
ceasar

Quote:
Although they have been discontinued, I wonder how many are left sitting in a warehouse in Japan? Got to get rid of that pre-made prism housings inventory that Bob keeps speculating about. :-)

.................................................. ......

<B>
It's likely that Nikon used them all up by now and that's why they discontinued them.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 5th March 2014, 23:57   #63
NDhunter

The sales numbers for the SE and the EII have to be quite low, and that is
why they are reaching the end of cycle. Some have reported purchasing
from a dealer who wiped the dust to sell one that had sat for 5 plus years.
I have found that myself on 2 different purchases I have made.
There was not a big demand for premium porros.
Nikon's largest seller in the midrange and maybe the leader in the mid market worldwide has been
the Monarch, a very good binocular, priced well, and with the Nikon name which means quality.

The optics lovers on this forum, can know and appreciate the superior optics,
but that is a small number.

Jerry
Old Thursday 6th March 2014, 05:29   #64
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Swain View Post
Were this true, Amazon Japan ought to be lit up like a tree like it was recently with 8x30E IIs, but there is nothing. However, if either B & H or Adorama can get a few pair, there may be evidence for your scenario.

What are the five stages of mourning? Denial ...

David
De Nile is a river in Egypt. An 8x32 SE 551xxx was listed for sale a couple months ago, that's a new production run, and if the serial numbers are sequential, which puts the "serial" in serial number, after all, only contrairians would think otherwise, Nikon could have made 999 of them before they decided to pull the plug. You don't start up a production line and make 10 binoculars.

So there's likely a new batch out there somewhere, either in a warehouse or at various "bricks and motar" stores in Japan and Hong Kong. If they don't sell, the stores will probably put them online. I can't imagine the store owners allowing them to stay on the shelves for years in this day and age when they can sell them on eBay or elsewhere if they don't have an online store.

My point was that we don't know how many are left unsold at various stores or that haven't shipped yet for backorders.

I wouldn't take the fact that Amazon Japan doesn't have any for sale right now to mean that Nikon has completely sold out. Amazon USA only deals with one store for SEs - Optics Planet - if they have them, Amazon has them, if they don't, Amazon doesn't.

B&H still lists them on backorder:

B&H Photo

Adorama still has them listed for $749:

Adorama

Clifton Camera in the UK appears to have them in stock:

Clifton Camera

<B>

Last edited by brocknroller : Thursday 6th March 2014 at 05:38.
Old Thursday 6th March 2014, 22:28   #65
follownoone

I just received my pair of 12x50... mostly for astronomy, from B&H today. I have been back ordered on the 10x42's at Adorama for weeks. I hope they get delivered. I already have two pairs of the 8x32. I was worried a few years ago from reading this and other forums about blackouts, but I have been lucky I guess, because I have never experienced it. I am also farsighted and maybe that helps....?
Old Friday 7th March 2014, 00:33   #66
Sancho
BF Supporter 2018

I have a pair of 502xxx 8x32 that I bought from a gentleman BF member. They are stunning. I used to have a pair of 550xxx, sold them, so can´t compare. The model I have at the moment is as sharp, clear and bright as SV and EDG equivalents (yes, I have compared them in the field). If you have a pair of SE´s, barricade yourself in the house and fight the bailiffs.

Last edited by Sancho : Friday 7th March 2014 at 22:24.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th March 2014, 02:41   #67
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Wow! I haven't checked in with BF in awhile. Figured this thread was just another SE panic. But checking with my sources here in Tokyo and the the death of the SE is TRUE! Could only uncover one 12x50SE left with my usual suspects.

Was also surprised to learn CN forums are MIA now too!
Old Friday 7th March 2014, 04:02   #68
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by follownoone View Post
I just received my pair of 12x50... mostly for astronomy, from B&H today. I have been back ordered on the 10x42's at Adorama for weeks. I hope they get delivered. I already have two pairs of the 8x32. I was worried a few years ago from reading this and other forums about blackouts, but I have been lucky I guess, because I have never experienced it. I am also farsighted and maybe that helps....?
Does the serial # start with 350? If so, it would be the latest model with Eco-Glass and the latest coatings.

Brock
Old Friday 7th March 2014, 04:13   #69
follownoone

Yes - the serial numbers start with 350. I was worried about the shake but so far they seem easy to use handheld.
Old Friday 7th March 2014, 04:53   #70
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by follownoone View Post
Yes - the serial numbers start with 350. I was worried about the shake but so far they seem easy to use handheld.
Thanks. Now I've just got to come up with $799 before they are all sold!

I can hold them fairly steady for stargazing since I lie in a chair and let the weight rest on my face. For daytime use, I can' them as steady unless I'm looking up high in the trees or for BOP in the sky. If I hold them out straight in front of me, I get shaky images. They also show a good bit of CA even w/out high contrast background such as a hawk against a blue sky. If I keep the bird perfectly centered, no CA, but it's hard to keep a circling bird centered.

Also, unlike the 8x and 10x SE where the balance point is on the prism housings, with the 12x SE, the balance point is on the seam between the prism housing and barrels, so I have to move my hand farther down the bin or keep one hand on a barrel and one on the prism housing.

My favorite astro bins. On a good night, I can see more detail than with a Chinese 15x70, they are that good.

Brock
Old Friday 7th March 2014, 21:37   #71
follownoone

I know what you are saying about the balance point. I have noticed the same thing. I can't wait to use them at night. If I can get a pair of the 10x42, I will be set for awhile buying binoculars......
Old Saturday 8th March 2014, 00:11   #72
Sancho
BF Supporter 2018

Someone on the Irish 2nd-hand website is adverts.ie selling a pair of Nikon SE 12x50 at a knock-down price, if anyone´s interested. No idea of the seller.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 8th March 2014, 01:19   #73
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

A recent vintage 8x32 SE is currently being offered on CNs Shop&Swap site for $475US by a Canadian seller.
Perhaps the SEs will see a new life as sought after second hand items

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 8th March 2014, 08:58   #74
Troubador

Quote:

Thanks. Now I've just got to come up with $799 before they are all sold!

Brock
Hi Brock

Take a look at your PM box, you need to empty stuff out to be able to receive PMs.

Lee
Old Saturday 8th March 2014, 19:32   #75
looksharp65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Someone on the Irish 2nd-hand website is adverts.ie selling a pair of Nikon SE 12x50 at a knock-down price, if anyone´s interested. No idea of the seller.
And I can buy a minty one for £360 in the neighbourhood. I'm sorely tempted but don't have the funds, neither have I any real use for it except for to satisfy my curiosity.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: