Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon 10x42 monarch HG

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Saturday 15th October 2016, 10:45   #1
arran
Registered User
 
arran's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 147
Nikon 10x42 monarch HG

As an owner of the zeiss SF 10x42 for the last 15 months ,I am extremely happy with the bin , especially sharpness , field of view and general handling.Grey version , no issues whatsoever.
As I was attracted to the specs of the monarch , I had an appointment with a local optics shop to test the monarch hg, in cloudy almost evening conditions.
General impression : high quality finishing , made in Japan , light weight bin.
What surprised me , how sharp the image was , combined with huge FOV gave me a wow feeling.
My wife who is wearing glasses and uses a Swarovski SV 10x42, had a very positive impression as well.
The image had a rather warm cast , CA was only visible in the edge of the image.
Short distance viewing was very relaxed and precise.Great depth of field
The focus drive was smoooth and pleasant, diopter tuning on the right ocular is precise!
I could quickly compare with the zeiss SF, and the zeiss was brighter and a bit more crispy
Reflections against sun ,could not be cheques
For the money 759€ cheapest price found in Belgium, this is a great product for sure
arran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 15th October 2016, 11:53   #2
Canip
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Nordschweiz
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by arran View Post
As an owner of the zeiss SF 10x42 for the last 15 months ,I am extremely happy with the bin , especially sharpness , field of view and general handling.Grey version , no issues whatsoever.
As I was attracted to the specs of the monarch , I had an appointment with a local optics shop to test the monarch hg, in cloudy almost evening conditions.
General impression : high quality finishing , made in Japan , light weight bin.
What surprised me , how sharp the image was , combined with huge FOV gave me a wow feeling.
My wife who is wearing glasses and uses a Swarovski SV 10x42, had a very positive impression as well.
The image had a rather warm cast , CA was only visible in the edge of the image.
Short distance viewing was very relaxed and precise.Great depth of field
The focus drive was smoooth and pleasant, diopter tuning on the right ocular is precise!
I could quickly compare with the zeiss SF, and the zeiss was brighter and a bit more crispy
Reflections against sun ,could not be cheques
For the money 759€ cheapest price found in Belgium, this is a great product for sure
Thank you for this brief assessment - I concur 100%.
Canip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 11th November 2016, 18:58   #3
zzzzzz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aurora
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by arran View Post
As an owner of the zeiss SF 10x42 for the last 15 months ,I am extremely happy with the bin , especially sharpness , field of view and general handling.Grey version , no issues whatsoever.
As I was attracted to the specs of the monarch , I had an appointment with a local optics shop to test the monarch hg, in cloudy almost evening conditions.
General impression : high quality finishing , made in Japan , light weight bin.
What surprised me , how sharp the image was , combined with huge FOV gave me a wow feeling.
My wife who is wearing glasses and uses a Swarovski SV 10x42, had a very positive impression as well.
The image had a rather warm cast , CA was only visible in the edge of the image.
Short distance viewing was very relaxed and precise.Great depth of field
The focus drive was smoooth and pleasant, diopter tuning on the right ocular is precise!
I could quickly compare with the zeiss SF, and the zeiss was brighter and a bit more crispy
Reflections against sun ,could not be cheques
For the money 759€ cheapest price found in Belgium, this is a great product for sure
Nikon got it right!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161111_112813.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	605156  
zzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 11th November 2016, 19:53   #4
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2018
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
ZZZZZZ ...... Are you located in Canada? If so, has the new Monarch HG made it to this side of the pond or did you get it from a European dealer? Nikon USA and B & H Photo are not showing them. I believe a vendor posted that they will be introduced to the US at the Shot Show (I think in January).

The model has received some mixed reviews so far so I look forward to reading what you think about it.
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th November 2016, 21:25   #5
zzzzzz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aurora
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
ZZZZZZ ...... Are you located in Canada? If so, has the new Monarch HG made it to this side of the pond or did you get it from a European dealer? Nikon USA and B & H Photo are not showing them. I believe a vendor posted that they will be introduced to the US at the Shot Show (I think in January).

The model has received some mixed reviews so far so I look forward to reading what you think about it.
UK

It's a very nice binocular ... Nikon's version of the SLC!
zzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 11th November 2016, 21:28   #6
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2018
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
Thanks Z6. If the Nikon HG is compares to the Swaro SLC, then that is saying a lot. In my book, the SLC and the Zeiss HT are about as good as you can get in a classic design.
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th November 2016, 22:11   #7
zzzzzz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aurora
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Thanks Z6. If the Nikon HG is compares to the Swaro SLC, then that is saying a lot. In my book, the SLC and the Zeiss HT are about as good as you can get in a classic design.
The HG is a flat field design upper 2nd tier binocular.

It's currently the only flat field binocular available in that tier.

Last edited by zzzzzz : Friday 11th November 2016 at 22:20.
zzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 11th November 2016, 22:27   #8
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2018
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
Even though the new HG is a flat field design, some of the posts indicated the edges were not any sharper than some of the good classic models. Have you had a chance to check that out yet?
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th November 2016, 23:52   #9
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist
 
james holdsworth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ontario
Posts: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzzz View Post
The HG is a flat field design upper 2nd tier binocular.

It's currently the only flat field binocular available in that tier.
Reviews by trusted individuals here indicate the field is not flat. Not that I would care much either way - something like my Conquest HD seems to be sharp close enough to the edge that it would qualify as ''nearly'' sharp-to-the-edge, with the outermost portion more novelty that useful in fields that are truly ''flat.''. True super sweetspot size is much more important for me.
__________________
''serenity now....insanity later.'' - Lloyd Brawn

Last edited by james holdsworth : Friday 11th November 2016 at 23:56.
james holdsworth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 12th November 2016, 00:47   #10
zzzzzz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aurora
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Even though the new HG is a flat field design, some of the posts indicated the edges were not any sharper than some of the good classic models. Have you had a chance to check that out yet?
It is a flat field design.

Light transmission appears equal to the SV 32 90% Not as bright as my SV 50 92%

Flare control better than SV 32.

Chromatic aberration is good. Not as good as the SV.

Color is neutral and well saturated.

No rolling ball while panning, globing or blackouts detected.

Back to your question I'd say sharpness is comparable to the SF. See excerpt from greatestbinocular.com review below.

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42:

The SF´s main character trait is the widest field of view in its class. Sharpness is good over about 75% of the field which is right inbetween classic designs (HT, SLC, Ultravid) which look reasonably sharp at about 50% of the field and the Swarovision which yields a 100% sharp field.

This was apparent while observing a flock of geese on the water and switching back and forth with the SV 32.
zzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 12th November 2016, 00:53   #11
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,497
I have not had the opportunity to use an HG yet but I have lots of experience with Nikons 8x32 and 10x32 LX/Ls, and the Nikon 10x32EDGII along with all three of the Nikon SE Porro Prism binoculars. They all are sharp almost to the edge of the view and have huge "sweet spots." I still own all of them.

Nikon has been making "flat field" binoculars that are sharp almost to the edge of the view while giving them huge sweet spots for many years. None of the binoculars that I listed above have any problems with "Rolling Ball" like Nikon's 8x42 and 10x42 LX/Ls did.

I expect that the new HGs will be very similar to the 32mm LX/Ls and EDGs and SEs in their view.

Bob


PS: Nikon's Field Flattener Lens System as explained in their website: "Field Flattener Lens System: This expert lens design minimizes field curvature, producing images that are as sharp in the peripheral areas as they are in the center."

Note that it "minimizes" field curvature; it does not get rid of it. And it discusses sharpness out to the "peripheral" areas and not to the "very edge" of the view.

Last edited by ceasar : Saturday 12th November 2016 at 01:51. Reason: Add Post Script
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 12th November 2016, 00:56   #12
zzzzzz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aurora
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Reviews by trusted individuals here indicate the field is not flat. Not that I would care much either way - something like my Conquest HD seems to be sharp close enough to the edge that it would qualify as ''nearly'' sharp-to-the-edge, with the outermost portion more novelty that useful in fields that are truly ''flat.''. True super sweetspot size is much more important for me.
Excellent reason to test them for yourself ... this is what I do!

The Noctivid reviews are all over the place.

Last edited by zzzzzz : Saturday 12th November 2016 at 00:59.
zzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 18th November 2016, 13:23   #13
arran
Registered User
 
arran's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 147
Yesterday I had the occasion to review the monarch HG again against swaro El and zeiss sf at a local Optics dealer
Cloudy conditions , one hour your before sunset
I was again surprised by this bin.Now , it seemed that the subjective lighttransmission is at least at same level as the other alphas.Contrast and sharpness impression was top
CA at enge was les than with zeiss sf
Not as warm cast as sf and more neutral in tone
To compare with swaro slc?
Well the HG is lighter , brighter , better short focus, better FOV , superior build quality and overall better sharpness impression
arran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 4th December 2016, 01:53   #14
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,555
Thanks for the review. I'll put the HG on my short list (ongoing quest for 10x).
I guess it won't be available until the new year.
Gilmore Girl is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th December 2016, 08:36   #15
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by arran View Post
Yesterday I had the occasion to review the monarch HG again against swaro El and zeiss sf at a local Optics dealer
Cloudy conditions , one hour your before sunset
I was again surprised by this bin.Now , it seemed that the subjective lighttransmission is at least at same level as the other alphas.Contrast and sharpness impression was top
CA at enge was les than with zeiss sf
Not as warm cast as sf and more neutral in tone
To compare with swaro slc?
Well the HG is lighter , brighter , better short focus, better FOV , superior build quality and overall better sharpness impression
seems impressive, though it's not a cheap bin,
what about eye relief and blackouts?
And the most important thing, glare and flare?
(Zzzz wrote: "Flare handling better than SV32", but most bins probably are)

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Sunday 4th December 2016 at 08:46.
Vespobuteo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 18:37   #16
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 286
The Nikon 7x50IF SP WP has a field flattener meniscus lens. When did this model first come out, 1990 ?

http://www.allbinos.com/291-binocula...0IF_SP_WP.html
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 19:02   #17
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,011
Piazzi-Smyth introduced the field flattener about 1872.
Binastro is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 20:18   #18
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,011
Piazzi Smyth field flattener lens 1873.
Abbe negative element for microscope eyepieces 1878.
Konig, Kohler 120 deg eyepieces Smyth lens 1944. Periscopes.
Tronnier , Schneider 105mm binoculars 110 deg Smyth lens. 1943 request.

These seem to be accurate dates.
Binastro is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 29th December 2016, 23:15   #19
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,555
Anyone know when these will be available in the US ?
Gilmore Girl is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th December 2016, 00:02   #20
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2018
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
GG .... Steve S., a vendor from Optics for Birding, posted in October that they will be announced in the US at the Shot Show, which begins January 17, 2017 in Las Vegas. Actual shipping date to be determined.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=302
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th December 2016, 00:29   #21
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
GG .... Steve S., a vendor from Optics for Birding, posted in October that they will be announced in the US at the Shot Show, which begins January 17, 2017 in Las Vegas. Actual shipping date to be determined.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=302
Thanks Bruce :)
Gilmore Girl is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th December 2016, 02:14   #22
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
GG .... Steve S., a vendor from Optics for Birding, posted in October that they will be announced in the US at the Shot Show, which begins January 17, 2017 in Las Vegas. Actual shipping date to be determined.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=302
Here is a list of the events Nikon will attend in the USA in 2017:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/a...on/events.page

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 30th December 2016 at 02:16.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th December 2016, 04:39   #23
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2018
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
Thanks Bob.

Not a single Birding Event on the list (and no, I do not consider the National Wild Turkey Federation Trade Show a "Birding Event" as it applies to the activities of the members of the Birdforum.)

Nikon has basically abandoned the US birding community compared to Zeiss and Swaro who both continue to attend birding events and contribute big bucks as sponsors. Opticron also is fairly active in the US, especially considering their smaller presence in the US market. Leica and some of the other manufacturers also attend some of the birding events that I have been to. Nikon is MIA.
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th December 2016, 14:09   #24
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,497
North America's middle class hunting public is one of Nikon's biggest markets, Bruce.

The Monarch HG will be a real high line item for it if it does get introduced at the Shot Show.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st December 2016, 19:36   #25
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2018
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
North America's middle class hunting public is one of Nikon's biggest markets, Bruce.

Bob
True, but a few years ago they sponsored a birding television show, had birding experts (Mike F. for one), and had other birding specific marketing promotions (YouTube videos for example and attendance at birding festivals). Now ...... Nothing. Too bad.
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 vs Vanguard Endeavor IV 10x42 The-Wanderer Binoculars 0 Thursday 22nd September 2016 16:36
2010 Zen Ray ZRS HD (Summit) 10x42 or Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 karthys Zen Ray 7 Tuesday 22nd March 2011 01:38
Nikon Monarch III 10x42 vs Vortex Fury 10x42 windmill Binoculars 9 Friday 24th September 2010 08:25
Nikon Monarch 10x42 or Vortex Vipers 10x42? MSG Reaver Binoculars 12 Thursday 26th March 2009 12:21
Helios Am 6 10x42 Versus Nikon Monarch 10x42 superhov Say Hello 9 Sunday 22nd February 2009 09:01

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21698499 seconds with 36 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:06.