• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

General Gambia info (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I appreciate that most of these questions have been asked before but as there are so many threads to trawl through, some of them not that recent, I prefer to post a new one.
I'm thinking of going either early or late November; is either better in terms of species and/or avoiding eclipse plumages?
My plan is to stay at the Badala Park and hire a guide for a few days only; is it still possible to do some birding on my own around the Kotu area without being harassed by guides etc?
What places, other than Abuko and Bijilo are must-do's for a first-time visitor to Western Africa? I will only have a full week so won't go upriver but wouldn't mind a long day trip somewhere.
Can I do Abuko by myself via taxi and, if so, what time does it open? Also, is it necessary to arrange a pick-up time with the outgoing taxi driver or can I easily find one near the entrance when I'm done?
Most of the birds will be new for me so I'm looking for quantity as opposed to target species but Green Wood-Hoopoe would probably be top of my list so any tips for that welcome too!
Thanks in advance,
S.Boddington, Belgium

hello s. boddington, am ismaila a member of the Gambia birdwatchers association and a resident guide at kotu bridge near badala park hotel. i would like to help with your questions. yes you can hire a guide for some days and do some days on your own at kotu area without being harassed. you can also go by your self to abuko or any where you like and any transportation way you like, either one way or two (return).

if you will appreciate my self then i can arrange with you and help you to get what exactly you want on your holiday.

kind regards
ismaila nyassi

Thanks both, I have already been in touch with Modou and arranged a few days with him based mainly on Billy No Mates multiple recommendations (are you on commission 3:) ?). First contact has been positive so I'll let you know how we get on.

Hi all, just to let you know I had a great time with Modou and I can thoroughly recommend him. We ended up seeing around 230 species in 4.5 days without even going upriver. A full trip report will follow in due course.

Is there any up to date info on any of the more difficult species . Back in January so interested to hear. Last year there was a finfoot around Kotu bridge , for example

Last edited:
Hi Cheshire, the finfoot has gone I'm afraid. There is a Hadada Ibis around the swamp behind Badala Park though which seems to have been there for a while and we saw 4 African Pygmy-Geese at Kartong wetland. As it was my first time, it's hard for me to gauge what is difficult and what not but we eventually got great looks at White-spotted Flufftail at Pirang with an African Goshawk perched above the trail. Feel free to mail me if you have any particular species in mind.

Thanks for the reply. It's always handy if there's any info on the trickier birds especially ones that are only usually seen well upriver , like last year's finfoot. The flufftail is one I've dipped on before . Was it in Bonto woods ( rather than Pirang ) ? The guides will know , of course, but swapping info beforehand is always appreciated.
Cheers, Bill.

Just out of interest what are the key sites to do for a weeks visit to The Gambia? Looking through trip reports it seems that Abuko Nature Reserve, Tanji Bird Reserve, Brufut Woodlands, Bund Road and Kotu area are all oft mentioned but there are also other sites such a Marakissa, Pirang Shrimp Farm further afield. Are these all full day sites or a couple can be done in the same day.

We are starting to plan a November trip to also include a 2 day/1 night trip upriver to Tendaba so wanted to try and get the most out of the coastal area but it's not straightforward to figure out the best sites/species ratio and also where the more difficult ones come into the equation. Any information or sources to start planning would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance
Allen

Hi Allen. If you've not been before I can recommend Dave Gosney's site guide ( and also the DVD if you want a flavour of the birding experience ) .
You will presumably be either contacting one of the guides before you go or engaging one once there. Either way, they will know and recommend the best places to visit. Plenty of recommendations on here for guides .
All the best, Bill

Hi Allen,
I ended up having 4.5 days with Modou as follows;
1st afternoon Kotu area
1st full day Brufut Woods am, Tanji lunch, Tujering woods late pm (very long but excellent day!)
2nd day (am only) Abuko NR
3rd full day Pirang and Faraba Bush Track (the highlight for me; I would have easily returned to Faraba)
4th full day Marakissa and Kingfisher Lodge (total waste of time as Marakissa very degraded and much the same species as the day before although the lodge has an African Scops Owl)
5th day (am only) Kartong wetlands (a long drive from the hotels but doable as a long half-day and well worth it for some different species)

I would thus recommend repeating days 1-3, perhaps adding Kotu to the afternoon of Abuko if you are pressed for time and Kartong perhaps the final day but definitely go upriver as there are so many species that aren't found in the coastal area.
Regards,
Stephen

Here now and caught up with the flufftail at Bonto woods today . Also finally saw a bloody stone partridge at the same location - actually saw 2 but first one was in the claws of an African goshawk !

Gambia Jan 2016

Flying out tomorrow for two weeks. Have been going since 2000. Excellent birding, fishing not so these days. Will be going up country as far as Basse this year for3 or 4 days. My best advice to anyone would be to hire a guide even for places like Abuko - where you can always find one at the entrance. You will be rewarded with so many more sightings, than being on your own. Plenty of guides recommended, and these are very good, I have met most of them.Have done all the coastal days and will be repeating alot again this year.Will report back on my return.

In TG from Tuesday based at Kartong. Will hopefully post a daily update here :)

We were at Kartong on Friday. Didn't have enough time to do it justice but plenty of wildfowl,herons etc. Spur-winged geese plentiful amongst the abundant whistling ducks ,plus a few knob-billed duck. Will be interested to hear about all the stuff we missed !
Regards, Bill.

Birding trip to Gambia

Flying out tomorrow for two weeks. Have been going since 2000. Excellent birding, fishing not so these days. Will be going up country as far as Basse this year for3 or 4 days. My best advice to anyone would be to hire a guide even for places like Abuko - where you can always find one at the entrance. You will be rewarded with so many more sightings, than being on your own. Plenty of guides recommended, and these are very good, I have met most of them.Have done all the coastal days and will be repeating alot again this year.Will report back on my return.

Hello Ken,
My wife and I are considering a birding trip to Gambia and have never been before. I can see that you are very experienced and would appreciate any guidance you can give. I am a keen Photographer so my initial problem is getting my large lenses into the hand luggage, I managed this on a trip to South Africa but its always a bit of a worry as I would not want to put them into the hold. If you could give me some advice on hotels, guides and where to go I would be most grateful.

Regards

David

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back