• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia local guide prices (1 Viewer)

micky1

What are the local guide prices for 2 in VIP room in Tendaba from Kota area and day at Kartong please. In November 2017
Have been quoted conflicting prices and would like an average from someone whose been.
Thanks Micky

Well worth it for a long half days birding at Kartong. Trust me.

Gabar Goshawk, Four-banded Sandgrouse, Black-winged Kite, Dwarf Bittern amongst many others on the reserve plus Goliath Heron and African Fish Eagle on the river.

Last edited:
As Digbert said plus: White-fronted Plover, Allen's Gallinule, Green-headed Sunbird, Cuckoo Finch and Ovambo Sparrowhawk which was regular during July.

Hi, my guide has just quoted £300 for 2days/1night at Tendaba.
This to include boat trip and admission to Kiang national park. How does that compare with quotes you were getting?

A lot of middle class, relatively inexperieced birders visit Gambia and the guides will charge whatever they think they can get away with and without gurantee that they're any good!

A

A lot of middle class, relatively inexperieced birders visit Gambia and the guides will charge whatever they think they can get away with and without gurantee that they're any good!

A
Within organised Tour groups this is undoubtedly true in my experience. However I have found that a considerable majority of birders who visit TG have birded in S. America, Asia and other African countries particularly S.A. Kenya and Uganda. Many of them are over 50 and retired professional people with a good income. Regarding the prices quoted by guides, any figure should be taken as 'first price', what you need to do is haggle them down to their 'last price'. If that is still too high move onto another provider. The quality of some guides is often poor as unfortunately the self-regulating organisation does little to sanction those who break the rules or are falling below standards. Palearctic migrant species seabirds and waders are a common weak area for many, while most have a good grasp of Afrotrops .

What is the going rate in 2022 for a full morning's guiding at say Brufut/Tanji with pick up from Kotu Creek area, including transport for one birder/two birders ?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back