• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The British List (1 Viewer)

Interesting

"Transatlantic vagrants
BOURC reviewed the records of four species accepted onto Category A before the adoption of the current guidelines for assessment of potentially ship-assisted birds. These species were Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos, Brown Thrasher Toxostoma rufum, Eastern Towhee Pipilo erythrophthalmus and Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus. All were retained in Category A. BOURC's guidelines for treatment of potentially ship-assisted birds were reviewed and remain unchanged. It was noted that Europe-wide consensus on the treatment of ship-assisted transatlantic vagrants would be highly desirable."

I'd love to see those ringing recoveries (or even any other records of vagrancy) for the Towhee which demonstrate that it might be capable of a transatlantic crossing!

cheers, alan

Interesting 2:

"Slender-billed Curlew Numenius tenuirostris
A review of the record from Druridge Bay, Northumberland, 4–7 May 1998 (photographed). The file is still in active circulation, but many lines of evidence are being assessed, which has led to the review taking longer than expected."

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the first time that the BOU has stated (in the public domain) that they are reviewing this record?

cheers, alan

I've just heard from our publisher that their is a glitch with viewing the new 8th edition. I'll post as soon as this has been sorted.

Interesting 2:

"Slender-billed Curlew Numenius tenuirostris
A review of the record from Druridge Bay, Northumberland, 4–7 May 1998 (photographed). The file is still in active circulation, but many lines of evidence are being assessed, which has led to the review taking longer than expected."

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the first time that the BOU has stated (in the public domain) that they are reviewing this record?

cheers, alan

Alan, yes, this is the first time we published a statement on this, but please note that this is from our report published in January and I think was discussed on here at the time.

Alan, yes, this is the first time we published a statement on this, but please note that this is from our report published in January and I think was discussed on here at the time.

Thanks - I'd just realised that. I think I may have been away, or possibly not and I had forgotten..:smoke:

cheers, alan

Interesting

"Transatlantic vagrants
BOURC reviewed the records of four species accepted onto Category A before the adoption of the current guidelines for assessment of potentially ship-assisted birds. These species were Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos, Brown Thrasher Toxostoma rufum, Eastern Towhee Pipilo erythrophthalmus and Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus. All were retained in Category A. BOURC's guidelines for treatment of potentially ship-assisted birds were reviewed and remain unchanged. It was noted that Europe-wide consensus on the treatment of ship-assisted transatlantic vagrants would be highly desirable."

I'd love to see those ringing recoveries (or even any other records of vagrancy) for the Towhee which demonstrate that it might be capable of a transatlantic crossing!

cheers, alan

I'd settle for another one turning up :t:

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back