• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal F-Ed 65 / Baader Hyperion 10mm (1 Viewer)

LesR

Hi People
Being relatively new to using a scope I'd like some advise, especially from the very informative and knowledgable members on here. I have a Celestron Regal 65 Ed and wondered how effective a 10mm ( 38x ) Baader Hyperion EP would be for sea watching. I have used a 17mm ( 23x ) and 13mm ( 30x ) with excellent results, but wanted a little more reach. Is the 65mm Regal up to the task ?

I had this score for a while, although I don't believe it was the best specimen, and both the 10 and 13mm Baaders. The 13mm was outstanding, but the 10mm was not that great. The view was dim and unimpressive, and CA was bothersome, but it still offered a better view than the zoom.

Thanks KB, I don't suffer any CA with the std zoom or 13 & 17mm Baaders on the scope. Looks like I will have to try the 10mm and return it if it's not that good.

Hi...i have the regal 65 and my specimen is definitely up to the task..at 48x the image is very impressive,using the celestron zoom..i used the nikon 27-40-50x,that has a10.5mm fl and the image was excellent at something like 36x..nikon eyepieces fit the astronomy socket of the regal very well by the way....the difference with the 12mm that i use(BST Explorer)was not huge,from32x to 36x,but noticeable in long distances...38x wide should be a great magnification for sea watching..

Hi Mayoayo, thanks for the info. My 65 F-ED is also a good example, after I returned the original one with a dodgy coarse focus knob. I like the Celestron zoom but the FOV at 38-40x is not so great, so I'm going to try the Baader 10mm. From what you say it should be good for sea watching. Thanks again for your input.

Les

`ffective a 10mm ( 38x ) Baader Hyperion EP would be for sea watching.`

personally I wouldnt go higher than 33/34x for seawatching. But one my pals like to sea watch with a 40x ep.....but he has a 82mm nikon scope. With a 65mm id stick to 35x and under to keep a bright image.

thats maybe a 12-13mm ep on your scope?

Thanks Woodhornbirder, the 13mm gives me 29.7 x on the scope and is very impressive. I think I will try the 10mm to see how effective it is, I expect it to be a little dimmer with the increased magnification though. I suspect, from what you say, that the 10mm would work better on a 80mm scope?

my exp with 65mm scopes(pentax) is they are at peak point in brightness+mag at 33 or 34x, then gradually start to diminish.

Sadly (Captain) ya cannae beat the laws o physics......every 1x mag you gain you lose fov.

YEah, try the 10mm. ON a bright day it could be perfectly useable. Personal taste how big you want/need the fov to be.

IF you do wader watching, try fiddling about with a barlow lense )

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back