• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying regular backyard visitor (1 Viewer)

lmpickell

Hi. I am new to this org but was directed here by a friend in hopes of identifying a backyard visitor (here in Southern California). Neighbors' guesses range from juvenile Cooper's Hawk to Perigrine Falcon. Can anyone tell us for sure? His/her favorite hobby seems to be chasing sparrows.

Thanks!

Attachments

• mysterybird.jpg
    mysterybird.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 165
  • mysterybird2.JPG
    mysterybird2.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 164
  • mysterybird3.jpg
    mysterybird3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 165
Hi impickell,

Welcome to Birdforum.

As I am from the UK this is a guess that it could be a Sharp shinned or a Coopers Hawk, but I will most likely be proved wrong. I have trouble identifying the ones in the UK when they are in flight.

Hello Impickell and welcome!

My vote is for adult female Cooper's Hawk, likely at least three years old.

Note the long tail with shorter outer tail feathers, the large size of the head, feet and legs, the flattish looking head with the dark cap, the smallish eyes that are forward in the head, all combine to say Cooper's Hawk.

The dark gray colored upperparts, and the nape that is pale gray only in the rear in combination with the rufous auriculars tell us it is an adult female.

The relatively deep color of the eyes tell us it is likely an older bird.

Cooper's Hawk. From the Peterson Guide- "Hawks" by Clark and Wheeler... "Long tail has a rounded tip with a wide white terminal band."

This is a good mark to look for on perched accipiter hawks.

I agree with cooper's for the reasons above, but there doesn't appear to be a white terminal band on the tail. Do certain individuals lack this trait, or am I just not seeing it in these photos?

Scott

lmpickell said:
Hi. I am new to this org but was directed here by a friend in hopes of identifying a backyard visitor (here in Southern California). Neighbors' guesses range from juvenile Cooper's Hawk to Perigrine Falcon. Can anyone tell us for sure? His/her favorite hobby seems to be chasing sparrows.

Thanks!
It is a cooper, good pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back