• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey squirrel sets up its own feeder. (1 Viewer)

Ruff

Two birds in one.
I have a semi-ornate coach lamp looking thing attached above the front door here and I also use it to as an electrical light up parts of our Christmas lights display, accomplished by removing the light bulb inside and screwing in a 'tap' that allows a plug to be inserted. Here in Canada the light strings might often need to be left out all winter long, being frozen in place, but this year I managed to bring them in a few weeks ago. This morning I noticed there was something odd about the lamp assembly; the top look tilted and there were odd shadows behind the tinted glass sides. I got out the stepladder to check and found that the inside of the lamp had been partially filled with sliced bagel halves, clearly the work of one of my squirrel friends. Not hard for it to do, because the catch on the hinged swing-away lid of the thing broke off long ago and even a squirrel can lift it.

My advanced theory on this matter is that the squirrel stuffed the bagel slices around the light bulb, which often stays on all night, so it could have a warm and toasted snack in the morning, but that might be overthinking things. Whatever, the bagels had to go, a potential fire hazard and there is already too strong a belief on the part of the rodents that they own this place.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back