• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-884 with TSN-DA4 and TSN-DA10 experience? (1 Viewer)

Hi Matthias

This is actually the best digiscoping set up on the market at the moment, I use this set up and have no problems at all. The DA10 screws directly on to the eyepiece to give a perfect alignment.

You will not regret it.

Paul

I have a Kowa 774 and a DA-10. I'm thinking of getting a CP5100. Does it need a UR-E20 adapter, and if so, does it also need a step up ring or does the adapter have the right size thread (I think it's 52mm.) to screw directly into the DA-10?

Richard

It really makes sense to spend this much?

OK...I know I spent a lot on the tripod, the scope (88mm with fluorite lense) and the zoom eyepiece, but to spend $485.00 for a camera adapter is absolutely absurd. :C

Had I known it was that much, I probably would have scrapped the whole idea. Total now is approaching $4,000 when I add in the point&shoot, and now the two piece set for the camera adapter. This set up better take absolutely pristine, crystal clear images, with no indication they were taken through a scope, otherwise all the claims about it being the best set up are useless. I even spent the extra "upgrade" for the fluorite lense ($500), and then another $540 for the zoom eyepiece. Add in $220 for the bogen tripod & head. It just never ends. I'm not buying a used car,

I have not yet received my scope, (in transit) , but the dealer I bought it from never told me just the adapters themselves would run almost $500.

OK, the cheapest I have found is $385 for the set. Still, insanely expensive for an adapter.

My apologies to the board...I am in sticker shock over this whole thing. I never thought it would be this much for everything.

Last edited:
If you are using a lightweight P&S the TSN-DA4 is not necessary. Just screw the DA-10 to the eyepiece and your camera, focus and shoot. Of course a good cable release accessory like the SRB-Griturn is recommended to avoid camera vibration.

There really are few good P&S that will allow a cable release. Canon does not. Of the few Nikons, only one of the really good ones does. I was told the Canon sd890is is one of the best for digiscoping, but it does not have a cable release. Going to try it for the first time tomorrow. I also have the camera set up for a 1 sec shutter delay, so that should do the trick.

If you can afford it get the DA4 and the DA10, it will allow you to view through the scope and swing it back to take a picture. The DA4 has a mount for the cable release which is supplied in with the kit.

The images through both the camera, and the scope, INDEPENDENT of each other are crystal clear. However, when the the setup is attached and the zoom lens extended fully, there seems to be extreme graininess when looking through both the camera viewfinder, and in the actual picture. This is even at ISO 200-400 (and the scope is only on 20x). How do I fix this? I have seen scoped images that are at 100% crop and no photoshop that are not grainy in the least. Is this a camera issue or a setup issue?

I wouldn't go higher than ISO 100 with P&S.
ISO 200-400 and higher are only for DSLR mounted on scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back