• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rattle in 20x60 Lens (1 Viewer)

Tom Hook

This my first post, so hello to everyone.

I bought the 773 TSN last week and am concerned by a slight rattle in the lens itself. I isolated the rattle to the lens by taking it off the scope. My concern is clarity at higher magnification. At lower magnification, the scope is perfectly clear but the image degrades above 40x. The problem is I can't lock onto the focus and keep it sharp. I have the scope mounted on a gitzo 3540 with a RRS 55 ballhead with a RRS plate (a system that worked fine with my previous scope, a Vortex Skyliner ED, which by the way has no rattle.)

Does anyone else have this problem or is this normal?

Tom Hook

Yes, there is an old thread about the new Kowa rattly 20-60 eyepiece problem. It may lead to a conclusion if you follow.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=105004

I have an 883 with the zoom, and tested through clear settled air is very sharp at maximum power. Resolution and abberation probably do not have much to do with the eyepiece assembly if the eyepiece is not damaged.You will find lots of information about this on the old threads.

Norm P

npos

Thanks for those threads, in a sense they eased the distress I first felt upon hearing the rattle. Subsequently, I used a optics chart to test the eyepiece for clarity at all magnifications and the Kowa far outpaced the Vortex (as well it should for the price I paid for it) I think my tests outside on a very windy day today is why the focus seemed to waver at 60x. The rattle remains but the view is great.

What I have also done is email technical support at Kowa to tell them about the rattle and look forward to what they have to say about it. If they have anything interesting to add, I will post their reply here.

Thanks again, I feel a bit better about things.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back