• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Are you gullophobic then Mark? ;) I love gulls personally and would love to see one, however I would'nt have a clue how to pick one out of a flock :-C

I'm actually getting into gulls 8-P more as time goes on. That one was a jaffa, I'd have snaffled that ;) .. I enjoy , if conditions and views are good, studying a group of gulls, looking for something different, I think its the only way to approach it for now , for me. I'm not inclined to study roosts overly often as yet though.

Last edited:
Gull numbers were very impressive this morning. Although numbers were fluctuating there were at times upto 6/700 BH Gulls, 60 plus LBBG, 20 Herring Gulls and 1 Yellow Legged Gull.

Also 4 Oystercatchers with these alternating between Moors pool and paddocks behind Lifestyles.

Top pictures Alan! When I got to look at the scrappy photos I took from the east hide, hey presto I found this gull on it. Didn't pick it up at the time tbf - does that count? Discuss, compare and contrast :-O

Hopefully it will return in the morning :t:

Gull numbers were very impressive this morning. Although numbers were fluctuating there were at times upto 6/700 BH Gulls, 60 plus LBBG, 20 Herring Gulls and 1 Yellow Legged Gull.

Also 4 Oystercatchers with these alternating between Moors pool and paddocks behind Lifestyles.

Great shots Alan:t: ( are we still allowed to congratulate each other)8-P

No!

Great shots Alan. B :)
Here are a few from this morning at the Flashes. How the solitary Avo stood for the hassle it got from this Juv Herring Gull and an even more persistent Juv BHG, I shall never know.
This Buzzard exited stage right from the third Flash with a BHG (don't think it was a kill, more like a carrion opportunity I think).
One of four Mute Swans that were knocking about.
You can tell it's Spring as the boys just can't behave themselves!

Attachments

• Avo2.jpg
    Avo2.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Buzzard1.jpg
    Buzzard1.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 84
  • MS2.jpg
    MS2.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Coot1.jpg
    Coot1.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
The left hand brush residents were very active and noisy, with the Dunnock really giving it some mambo!
I was having a BIF morning whenever I could and I caught this Curlew on my way out of the hide.
The pair of LTTs were showing particularly well.
But, despite the Sand Martin(s) over this was the highlight of my morning... the Grey Wagtail was only on the deck for a few moments and most of those were spent in dead ground where I couldn't see it, and shortly after appearing the Pied Wags soon saw it off!

Attachments

• Dunnock1.jpg
    Dunnock1.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Curlew2.jpg
    Curlew2.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 65
  • LTT1.jpg
    LTT1.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 67
  • GW2.jpg
    GW2.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
The left hand brush residents were very active and noisy, with the Dunnock really giving it some mambo!
I was having a BIF morning whenever I could and I caught this Curlew on my way out of the hide.
The pair of LTTs were showing particularly well. But, despite the Sand Martin(s) over this was the highlight of my morning. The Grey Wagtail was only on the deck for a few moments and most of those were spent in dead ground where I couldn't see it, and shortly after appearing the Pied Wags soon saw it off!

You're right about that Dunnock Sy - sharp as a pin mate :t:

Birding Today on the reserve

Started with a walk around the North Moors, in company of Mark (Hagar), lots of tit activity. Also a singing water rail, nest building Long tailed tit and 2 Teal seen from the north screens. From here, we were very aware of the 100's of gulls filtering in from the north west and landing on the Moors pool.
Arriving at the east hide, it was obvious that there was a major unseasonal influx of gulls. Amongst them were at least 100 Large gulls with 67 LBBG and 30ish Herring, but overwhelmingly there were c2000 BHG, their cacophony of calls was deafening.
On one of the gull 'crossbars' was an adult Yellow legged gull (or that's what it looked like through bins). On route to the west hide for closer views, I bumped into Alan H who told me that he had got some pics of the gull.
(Is this a first for the year Phil)
Although not too warm there was definitely a spring feel to the day, augmented by the frantic activity around the newly installed nest boxes in the NE coppice.
Species counts at the Moors
GCG 5, Shoveler 20 - 22, Teal 10, Gadwall pr, Shelduck pr, Pochard 4 (2 males), Tufted 30+, Oystercatcher 4 (2 prs), Lapwing 12 - 14 (1 displaying), Snipe 11, BHG 2000+, YELLOW LEGGED GULL, Herring gull c30 - most 1st and 2nd summer, LBBG 67, green woodpecker,
Lesser redpoll, song thrush, mistle thrush singing,

Last edited:
The pair of LTTs were showing particularly well. But, despite the Sand Martin(s) over this was the highlight of my morning. The Grey Wagtail was only on the deck for a few moments and most of those were spent in dead ground where I couldn't see it, and shortly after appearing the Pied Wags soon saw it off!

Some pretty good action shots 'old chap' :t:with emphasis on the old8-P
B :)John

2 jay's sat 3rd over by lifestyles, with regards pics how do you get larger files on to the forum, i;ve taken pics of tits that are filling the frame thus i can't crop down small enough to post! any ideas.

Birding at the Flashes from 12 till 3pm.
The water is at 0.49, this is 1cm lower than at the exact date last year. For obvious reasons we will not drop the water, unless torrential rain falls.
The single Avocet was feeding on large items, but was mostly upending in deep water. The birds are very erratic at the moment and hopefully soon, some form of stability will ensue as the breeding season progresses.
Initially the Flashes were very quiet possibly due to there being only 40 BHG present. Unfortunately one of the 1st summer birds was intent on shadowing the Avocet and frequently chasing it.
Birds were coming and going all the time, mostly involving passerines and included 160 winter thrushes (120 redwing + 40 fielfare) on the slope behind the 3rd Flash and the linnets peaked at 12.
Species counts at the Flashes
Teal 35, gadwall, mallard c20, mute swan pr, coot 10, Curlew 9, Oystercatcher, Avocet, lapwing 17 (4 were displaying), LBBG pr, stock dove 6, pied wags 4, starling 30,
also seen by PQ were Jay and 8 lesser redpoll.
on the Sailing pool were 4 prs of GCG.
Totals on reserve
Teal 45, Gadwall 4 (2prs), lapwing 30, Snipe 14 min, Oystercatcher 5,

Last edited:
2 jay's sat 3rd over by lifestyles, with regards pics how do you get larger files on to the forum, i;ve taken pics of tits that are filling the frame thus i can't crop down small enough to post! any ideas.

I have to limit mine to 1200 x 900 which is roughly 200 - 300 k in jpeg.
Sy will know what to do.

have a great day Tomorrow Trace:t:

Birding at the Flashes from 12 till 3pm.
The water is at 0.49, this is 1cm lower than at the exact date last year. For obvious reasons we will not drop the water, unless torrential rain falls.
The single Avocet was feeding on large items, but was mostly upending in deep water. The birds are very erratic at the moment and hopefully soon, some form of stability will ensue as the breeding season progresses.
Initially the Flashes were very quiet possibly due to there being only 40 BHG present. Unfortunately one of the 1st summer birds was intent on shadowing the Avocet and frequently chasing it.
Birds were coming and going all the time, mostly involving passerines and included 160 winter thrushes (120 redwing + 40 fielfare) on the slope behind the 3rd Flash and the linnets peaked at 12.
Species counts at the Flashes
Teal 35, gadwall, mallard c20, mute swan pr, coot 10, Curlew 9, Oystercatcher, Avocet, lapwing 17 (4 were displaying), LBBG pr, stock dove 6, pied wags 4, starling 30,
also seen by PQ were Jay and 8 lesser redpoll.
on the Sailing pool were 4 prs of GCG.

Also got Greenfinch and 2 Siskin by the sailing pool this morning:t:

The Mystery of the 'funny' goose, Solved!

Re hybrid Goose - A few weeks ago PA discussed a goose of mixed parentage at Upton Warren on the Forum. This bird was born at Lower Moor in summer 2011 and was a Grey Lag/Barnacle X. Two youngsters survived and were not identical , strangely they did not stay together, although often in the same field one remained with a flock of Lags the other with Canadas.

This from the man in the Know;)

Last edited:
Started with a walk around the North Moors, in company of Mark (Hagar), lots of tit activity. Also a singing water rail, nest building Long tailed tit and 2 Teal seen from the north screens. From here, we were very aware of the 100's of gulls filtering in from the north west and landing on the Moors pool.
Arriving at the east hide, it was obvious that there was a major unseasonal influx of gulls. Amongst them were at least 100 Large gulls with 67 LBBG and 30ish Herring, but overwhelmingly there were c2000 BHG, their cacophony of calls was deafening.
On one of the gull 'crossbars' was an adult Yellow legged gull (or that's what it looked like through bins). On route to the west hide for closer views, I bumped into Alan H who told me that he had got some pics of the gull.
(Is this a first for the year Phil)
Although not too warm there was definitely a spring feel to the day, augmented by the frantic activity around the newly installed nest boxes in the NE coppice.
Species counts at the Moors
GCG 5, Shoveler 20 - 22, Teal 10, Gadwall pr, Shelduck pr, Pochard 4 (2 males), Tufted 30+, Oystercatcher 4 (2 prs), Lapwing 12 - 14 (1 displaying), Snipe 11, BHG 2000+, YELLOW LEGGED GULL, Herring gull c30 - most 1st and 2nd summer, LBBG 67, green woodpecker,
Lesser redpoll, song thrush, mistle thrush singing,

I can add: Water Rail. Little Grebe & a pair of buzzard.

Rob

Thanks matey - you carry on, Rob. The more the merrier! It's that diversity and lack of Prima Donna-esque individuals that makes this thread the phenomenon it is!

If, years ago I'd decided I wasn't playin' any more, I'd have probably taken up rambling. I know, I'm nothing like the best photographer that frequents this thread. But, if I can post one photo that someone appreciates and feeds back such satisfaction, then it's another job done, the way I see it... And I don't have to exploit lengths of riverbanks to satisfy my financial greed either...

Last edited:
Thanks matey - you carry on, Rob. The more the merrier! It's that diversity and lack of Prima Donna-esque individuals that makes this thread the phenomenon it is!

If, years ago I'd decided I wasn't playin' any more, I'd have probably taken up rambling. I know, I'm nothing like the best photographer that frequents this thread. But, if I can post one photo that someone appreciates and feeds back such satisfaction, then it's another job done, the way I see it... nd I don't have to exploit lengths of riverbanks to satisfy my financial greed either...

Good quality photo of an underrated species Sy - and I applaud your attitude.

Can't see you as a rambler though. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back